Cinema Display Apple Store entry updated to new 27-inch models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

I wish Apple would give matte options for ALL their displays. Even iOS devices. I'd pay extra

I agree. As much as I like the iPad, I wish I had the option to buy one with a matte screen. Then again, the iPad sure is a great thing to use.

But yeah, to me it's strange that Apple doesn't keep the 30" available. I mean, it must have been a hit since they sell this one for over 6 years now. Four years ago the specs even got updated a bit. But to see it go is, well, it seems strange to me.

I just got a new MacPro and jumped for the 30". Now that it really is going to be unavailable I'm even thinking about getting a second one. Even though NEC and Eizo have some great monitors I also like the brushed aluminum. That and the Apple logo. I read in I believe this thread that someone even bought a spare one to store in the attic in case his 30" would die. That is how far some folks go...

Yeah I'm a sucker but I'm into photography and glossy is just not an option. Ask anyone who does a bit more than point-n-shoot pictures and you will here that glossy is not an option.

Then again, YMMV. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Philippe
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, I'm waiting for the discounts on the 30

or better jump in now and get yourself a refurb 27" iMac for half a grand more.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, I'm waiting for the discounts on the 30

Me too. Then again, it could become a collectors item and the price will go up. Or will it not?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I have a 27" iMac and the glossy doesn't even bother me at all... have you actually used one to see if you even might like it?

It annoys me how there are so many complaining about the glossy when its not even that bad....

Well, to me it is bad. I'm into photography and the color on my screen needs to match the colors when the picture is printed. I have my pictures printed matte, not glossy. So no, I don't like glossy. So yes, it is a preference.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Everyone needs to understand that Apple no longer makes professional displays. If you want a matte display to do professional work, you'll need to shop elsewhere. I've given up. NEC makes some nice professional displays, that are 16x10, and matte.

Unfortunately it looks like that yes. So buy a 30" while stock lasts I say!
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Exactly. People keep forgetting that these glossy mirror screens have connector cables so short that they only can be hooked to a Macbook sitting on the table to the side of the screen just like in the pictures.

Everyone who bought one for use with their Mac Pro has had to buy an extension cable.

In fact, same goes for apple wired keyboards. To use it with Mac Pro you MUST buy an USB extension cable, they were designed to be used with iMacs sitting on the same table as the keyboard.

So much for usability and just works out of the box. First thing I had to do when I unpacked my Mac Pro was run to the store to buy extension cable so I can hook up the damn thing.

Hmm, received my new MacPro two weeks ago. Came with a USB extension cable (male-female)
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcperfecto View Post

all the more expensive since my 37" IPS (LG 16/9 IPS panel) LED Philips 1080p HDTV w/ light sensor, ambilight, built-in multimedia player, HDMI 1.4 is only <650 EUR worth. And Philips is not particularly well known for making cheap TVs. Probably making a 2560x1440 display comes at a price but, still, that's a pretty pricey consumer product (glossy, short cables...) if just for watching downloaded 720p iTunes movies !

Yeah, but who's gonna connect a TV to a computer? I mean, TV's are designed to watch from a couple of feet/meters away. When working on your computer you are really close to the screen. Hence all the extra pixels on computer displays. That, and the fact that a computer screen has square pixels. On a TV they're rectangular.

Then again, I don't care what something costs, I choose what I like. And when $$ is an issue I just need to save longer, but will never settle for anything less.

And this 27" is quite cheap. I got the 30", paid $ 800m more for what? 3 inches and 1600 instead of 1440 horizontal pixels? No, to me it was my preference of a matte screen above a glossy one...
  • Reply 28 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hmm, received my new MacPro two weeks ago. Came with a USB extension cable (male-female)

Come on - you expect trolls to actually own the products they claim to own?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yeah I'm a sucker but I'm into photography and glossy is just not an option. Ask anyone who does a bit more than point-n-shoot pictures and you will here that glossy is not an option.

What a surprise - the "if you are a real photographer you won't use glossy" argument. For me, if glare on a glossy screen is bothering you you have ither issues. For anyone who is really serious about photography and color your going to be working in a controlled environment where glare won't have a chance to exist in the first place.

Thats the real irony...

Speaking of color - the gamut on the 30" display sucks. If you are serious about color you wouldnt be pining for it just because it has matte, you would already be elsewhere.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. ...

I know, it's so annoying that Apple keeps making these great products that people actually like! WTF!?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

The new 27-inch has in-plane switching, speakers, and ambient light sensor.

30 inch is $1,799 for 2560 x 1600, compared to $999 for 2560 x 1440 27-inch, so 27-inch has a better pixel density (109ppi compared to 101ppi).

30 inch is from the old "HD" line, is matte. 27-inch is from the new "LED" line, glossy with LED backlighting.

I'd imagine Apple did their research too and thought that a 30-inch IPS would either be too expensive or too niche to be profitable.

Sounds like a net positive, but I thought this monitor was for "pro" users who favor matte options over glossy. Non-pro users would probably buy the 27" iMac. Do any Pro users feel the same way?
  • Reply 32 of 41
    The new displays are built with real glass. Makes it very sturdy and easy to clean. Probably not as easy to make matte? Do actual pros use another brand? I don't do photography work and the reflection disappears as I get into what I'm doing. No matter my opinion Apple is sticking with glossy. The price is great compared to previous generation.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcperfecto View Post

all the more expensive since my 37" IPS (LG 16/9 IPS panel) LED Philips 1080p HDTV w/ light sensor, ambilight, built-in multimedia player, HDMI 1.4 is only <650 EUR worth. And Philips is not particularly well known for making cheap TVs. Probably making a 2560x1440 display comes at a price but, still, that's a pretty pricey consumer product (glossy, short cables...) if just for watching downloaded 720p iTunes movies !

I bet your TV can't display 24-bit color.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Help me. Has the 27" monitor been announced, or is it unannounced? I cannot comprehend. Thanks, KR
  • Reply 35 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,545member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtramey View Post

Help me. Has the 27" monitor been announced, or is it unannounced? I cannot comprehend. Thanks, KR

It was announced in July and should ship at the end of this month.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would rather have the older one. The glare from that glossy monitor is horrible. I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking here.

Well Steve Jobs put the buttons back on the iPod mini... so maybe he'll put the matte screen back on the Cinema Display.

:0)
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

The new 27-inch has in-plane switching, speakers, and ambient light sensor.

30 inch is $1,799 for 2560 x 1600, compared to $999 for 2560 x 1440 27-inch, so 27-inch has a better pixel density (109ppi compared to 101ppi).

30 inch is from the old "HD" line, is matte. 27-inch is from the new "LED" line, glossy with LED backlighting.

I'd imagine Apple did their research too and thought that a 30-inch IPS would either be too expensive or too niche to be profitable.

Actually, ALL of Apples monitors have ALWAYS been IPS since the aluminum cinema displays (and possibly earlier?). You can easily tell just by looking at them, even the 20 inch aluminum one. So while everyone was complaining about how overpriced Apple's monitors were, very few seemed to notice that they WERE in fact, superior....

They still were pretty darn overpriced, though.

I'm actually hoping the 27 inch cinema display uses optical lamination like the iPhone 4 to glue the screen to the glass - that would reduce one layer of reflectivity. They might have, seeing how the glass is now edge to edge on all sides (like the iP4, which incidentally, has an optically laminated screen!). Lets all await the ifixit teardown...
  • Reply 38 of 41
    By the way, I consider myself pretty much a Apple fanboy/zealot.

Even so, ever since they went glossy I haven't bought any of their glossy products. Products that are ONLY available in glossy, I've turned to other companies...

I just bought a matte Dell IPS monitor after having owned a 30 inch Cinema Display. I can tell you, if Apple had a matte 27 inch LED, there is a high chance I would of went there instead, even for a significant premium.

Same with iMac. I will likely buy a hackintosh desktop to replace this (with that dell monitor). Of course, I could go with a Mac Pro, but I feel it too expensive, and the mini too weak.

Similarly for 13 inch MBPs. I haven't upgraded from my old 15 inch MBP...at all.

I did consider a MBA. The reflectiveness on those to me is tolerable, probably due to it not having glass in front.

The thing is, I really WISH I could buy the Apple products, since I am in love with their industrial design.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

By the way, I consider myself pretty much a Apple fanboy/zealot.

Even so, ever since they went glossy I haven't bought any of their glossy products. Products that are ONLY available in glossy, I've turned to other companies...

I just bought a matte Dell IPS monitor after having owned a 30 inch Cinema Display. I can tell you, if Apple had a matte 27 inch LED, there is a high chance I would of went there instead, even for a significant premium.

Same with iMac. I will likely buy a hackintosh desktop to replace this (with that dell monitor). Of course, I could go with a Mac Pro, but I feel it too expensive, and the mini too weak.

Similarly for 13 inch MBPs. I haven't upgraded from my old 15 inch MBP...at all.

I did consider a MBA. The reflectiveness on those to me is tolerable, probably due to it not having glass in front.

The thing is, I really WISH I could buy the Apple products, since I am in love with their industrial design.

I was also looking for all non-glossy options, including laptops. But with the amount of data from FCP & Aperture I would always need to connect FireWire drives. No biggie, but still. A hackingtosh? Well, not for me. I don't want any hassle in case something gets broken. After an update or anything. Just want 'everything to work right out of the box'.

So I saved up for the MacPro. Which was a bit easier because I had to wait quite a few months for the new model to be released lol. Since it took so long I just kept on saving and eventually had enough to get the 30" Cinema Display as well. Of course I looked at all the options. Yes, including the glossy screens. Seen them in the store. Even made an appointment to have the sales guy show me the screen before the store opened allowing me to see it without all the tube lights on. Still didn't like the glare. Well, to each his own.

May I ask why you didn't renew your 30" Cinema Display and went for the Dell? What it a cost-wise decision? I certainly have been sucked into the Apple aesthetics and found the aluminum frame much more attractive than the black one on iMacs and the glossy displays...
  • Reply 40 of 41
    I hate the new display. It uses that annoying 16:9 ratio.