Apple seeks metal experts to craft devices from Liquidmetal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    They should hire the same guy that helped Sandisk made the Sansa E2xx series...

proof: http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...ml#reviewPage1

Quote:

the e200 is still compact and it boasts a liquid-metal backside that will not scratch; likewise, the black plastic on the front does not scratch nearly as easily as the Nano's. In terms of raw size and sleekness, the Nano still reigns supreme.

• Reply 22 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now they just need to perfect "rubberglass".

That would be great. A break- and scratch-resistance material with great optical qualities.
  • Reply 23 of 48
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

WOW Bouncy MACS!!!

On a more serious note, I don't get it, the strength of metal is in it's crystalline structure, who can a non crystalline amorphous (no form literally) material be stronger????

The strength of the willow is that it bends in the wind and therefore doesn't snap.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want that in my next MacBook.

It will most likely appear in the hinges...they have always been a laptop's weakest part.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Hopefully, this leads to a lighter iPad. Still "too heavy" in the hand after holding it for awhile. Liquid metal + a light composite material = under 1lb. That would be killer.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

For people who touch type (professionals who are productive), any "on screen" keyboards are not so convenient as a physical keyboard.

Go back and read the guy's comment. He didn't mean touch-screen keyboard. He meant AMOLED touch-screen [and] keyboard/trackpad combo. The comma was missing after keyboard, but I thought the gist was clear enough.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Go back and read the guy's comment. He didn't mean touch-screen keyboard. He meant AMOLED touch-screen [and] keyboard/trackpad combo. The comma was missing after keyboard, but I thought the gist was clear enough.

Actually he says "physical keyboard replaced by AMOLED touch-screen keyboard/trackpad combo" which is very clear that he means an AMOLED touch screen keyboard.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Plus how cool is it to have a title like "Manager of Amorphous Metal Development."

Somewhat less cool than "Executive Director for Amorphous Metal Strategic Initiatives."

Although vastly cooler than "Assistant Amorphous Metal Cataloger."
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Really interesting would be to know the heat dissipating properties of LM?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

I see transparent aluminum screens in Apple's future, or at least transparent metal.

that would be nice, having bullet-proof aluminum oxynitride for the screen. hopefully it comes down in price from $15/sq. in. yowch!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

A new feature for the next iPhone will be the ability to drop your iPhone and catch it while it bounces back up. "drop your iPhone a lot? Don't worry, simply catch it when it bounces back up!" lol

Remember those super balls, the ones that bounce around and you cant keep up with them?

I can see a guy running around trying to catch his iPhone or Macbook.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Maybe Apple isn't thinking consumer product YET. Military computing with lighter & stronger hardware are options.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

I think you win the prize. Thought of T2 immediately. I was thinking my phone could turn into a knife for self-defense and heal itself if I break it. Don't drop it in molten steel, though.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anmarkle View Post

Actually he says "physical keyboard replaced by AMOLED touch-screen keyboard/trackpad combo" which is very clear that he means an AMOLED touch screen keyboard.

Goocher, as anmarkle said:

"physical keyboard replaced..." - means: no physical keyboard. Regardless of any punctuation you assume was missing.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Because when a metal or an alloy has crystals in it, the crystal planes can easily slide past each other when the metal is under stress. This makes the metal weaker than necessary. In an amorphous metal there are no crystal planes. It essentially has a liquid "structure" in which the atoms are randomly ordered. That means it has no crystal planes, and no way way for the atoms to easily move, making it very resiliant and strong.

I think I better go and read some basic material science text... thanks btw...

any suggestions?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want that in my next MacBook.

I want that on my sons next little league bat or my Apple branded driver.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

amorphous metals are usually alloys. And alloys are at their best when the component elements are mixed evenly. If allowed to crystallize, different elements in the alloys form small clumps, resulting in weak boundary layers, decreasing metal performance.

In general, are alloys crystalline in structure? How about the old time ones which were forged on an anvil? If there's no amorphous metals in the mix, does that usually weaken an alloy?

Do you know of any good general info on the topic?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The strength of the willow is that it bends in the wind and therefore doesn't snap.

Then the whole stupid willow tree is blown over and lands on the roof of your garage.

Beautiful tree, chainsaw food if found growing any where near my house.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Forged from Ninja Metal.

You've just coined a new term: Ninja Metal is now the official new name for liquid metal.