Apple's iOS 4.2 SDK requires Mac OS 10.6.5 pre-release build

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Considering Apple is trying to make us believe the iPad can actually be used to do work (I know, it's hard to say without laughing ), having a file system that the user can access, or being able to transfer documents easily back and forth easily might be more desirable.

I for one am shocked that after the iPad has been out all this time, the 4.2 update is only bringing minimal utility to the device. I'm not exaggerating either, it's just plain shocking that this thing can't even load a file without the intervention of iTunes or some third party "craptility." It's also shocking that even when you do use iTunes to do this (the preferred method according to Apple), that it barely works, and takes long minutes to achieve.

It's the simple transfer of a sub-1MB document from one computer to another for cripes sake.

Is this 2010 or 1995?

If the iPad doesn't suit your needs then stick with a MBP. The iPad is the beginning of a new way of working that will be a little awkward for some, at first. I think it is really designed to work best with MobileMe.

I can give you an example. A few minutes ago I needed to print a CAD file that was too large for our plotter. In looking around I realized I had forgotten my thumb drive so I copied it to iDisk and walked down the street to the reprographic service. After discussing the output options with the representative, I simply emailed it from iDisk directly to their output server using my iPhone. 10 minutes later I had my large format print in hand.

It's all about the cloud.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    It's a pity it requires so new Mac OS to support shared printers. I currently have a Power Mac G4 with 10.4.11 running as a print server and I'm a bit disappointed I can't take advantage of the new AirPrint with that. Any word on AirPort Express support?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

It's a pity it requires so new Mac OS to support shared printers. I currently have a Power Mac G4 with 10.4.11 running as a print server and I'm a bit disappointed I can't take advantage of the new AirPrint with that. Any word on AirPort Express support?

I don't think it's realistic for Apple to continue to update OSs 2 versions back with every new technology they come out with. However, just because it only works on the latest SL beta doesn't mean it won't ever work on anything else.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can give you an example. A few minutes ago I needed to print a CAD file that was too large for our plotter. In looking around I realized I had forgotten my thumb drive so I copied it to iDisk and walked down the street to the reprographic service. After discussing the output options with the representative, I simply emailed it from iDisk directly to their output server using my iPhone. 10 minutes later I had my large format print in hand.

I love how you SoCal folks have all of these services a stones-throw away. If I could just "walk(ed) down the street to the reprographic service", that would be lovely. But it's not practical for me, and many others like me who live in an area where the nearest reprographic service that supports digital files is several miles away.

No, it's not about the cloud, it's about making a device convenient for the majority of its users. I'm an educator and a businessman who has so far held off on purchasing iPads because I don't feel they're ready for either enterprise or the classroom.

The good Professor Peabody said it best; "It's the simple transfer of a sub-1MB document from one computer to another for cripes sake".
  • Reply 25 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

"The iOS 4.2 beta was released to developers on Wednesday, with its largest feature being AirPrint"

Multi-tasking and folders for iPad are way bigger features then printing IMHO.

Not for developers. We already know how to handle multi-tasking in our iOS software. You're probably thinking of the end-user final release of 4.2, which is coming in November. For THIS release-- which is targeted at developers-- AirPrint is indeed the largest feature.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

I for one am shocked that after the iPad has been out all this time, the 4.2 update is only bringing minimal utility to the device.

"All this time"??? The iPad was only released a few months ago! Sheesh. I'm sure at some point we'll get multiple-user profiles, parental locks, and document handling. In the meantime if it's not useful to you don't buy it.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

I love how you SoCal folks have all of these services a stones-throw away. If I could just "walk(ed) down the street to the reprographic service", that would be lovely. But it's not practical for me, and many others like me who live in an area where the nearest reprographic service that supports digital files is several miles away.

No, it's not about the cloud, it's about making a device convenient for the majority of its users. I'm an educator and a businessman who has so far held off on purchasing iPads because I don't feel they're ready for either enterprise or the classroom.

The good Professor Peabody said it best; "It's the simple transfer of a sub-1MB document from one computer to another for cripes sake".

Ha ha I know we're spoiled with the weather and all. Seriously though, I think the majority of iPad users are in the large metropolitan areas where there are a million things to do and lots of different uses for iPad/iPhone that may not be relevant for less populated areas. Mass transit, fast paced mobile users, wifi everywhere, the iPad has proved to be a very flexible device. Personally, it did take some time to warm up to it, but now I use it a lot more. I'm writing apps and web apps to use it for business and it is working out great.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

If the iPad doesn't suit your needs then stick with a MBP. The iPad is the beginning of a new way of working that will be a little awkward for some, at first. I think it is really designed to work best with MobileMe.

Except for the fact that iWork, for example, can't even save to the iDisk. Hmmm
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

If the iPad doesn't suit your needs then stick with a MBP.

Sorry, can't use laptops.

Quote:

The iPad is the beginning of a new way of working that will be a little awkward for some, at first. I think it is really designed to work best with MobileMe.

Agreed. It's just that the current iPad OS and the current iPad "productivity" apps are barely beta quality, and they just don't have the capabilities necessary to do actual work. I'm a big supporter in general, it's just that I'm getting older and I want Apple to actually finish the job and put out a portable tablet *computer* sometime before I die.

Quote:

Again, Agreed. It's just that all you can really do with MobileMe right now is view documents. I could do that 15 years years ago. Why can't I use my iPad for instance to load a document from MobileMe, edit it, and save it back to Mobile Me?

I'm a writer and I use Pages, so when the iPad came out I moved all my documents to it (what a nightmare that was), and proceeded to try and use the iPad as a true mobile computer for writing. It simply doesn't work. It would take pages and pages to explain all the many gotchas, and stupid design choices that get in your way, but I've heard the same from every single person I run into with an iPad that tried to do what I did.

The iPad does indeed have a great future, I'm just impatient at the glacial pace of development. Pages for iPad should be FREE it's missing so many basic features. It really is a beta level product.

The iPad OS, the iPad hardware design, the iPad "productivity" apps, and the manner in which it's tied to iTunes are all huge detriments to getting anything actually done on it. I would sum the iPad up thusly:

- best reader I ever had

- wonderful amazing comic book reader

- best virtual magazines

- best portable video screen

- 2nd best iPod

- awful portable computer

- worst (and slowest) typing experience of any computer I've owned

- very very poor art tablet

- worst document storage solution

- horrible integration with my other devices.

- horrible integration with the cloud.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Have you tried updating your version of CUPS on 10.4.11?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

I would sum the iPad up thusly:

- best reader I ever had

- best virtual magazines

- 2nd best iPod

Most succinct and IMO, accurate description I've heard to date. But hey, maybe the boys and girls at Apple will surprise us all with this upgrade. I'm not a spring chicken; I've used Macs since the 80's. I hope they get this one right before the continents come together again
  • Reply 32 of 39
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    I disagree. I perfectly use it to work. I don't care for whatever you think a computer have to be.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

SL betas only run on Macs. iOS betas only run on iDevices. iDevices can connect to Windows PCs. If I was an Apple iOS developer, which I am, then shouldn't I be able to test an application that is supposed to be compatible with Mac/PC according to the press release?

I think AI is not clear here. You don't need Mac OS 10.6.5 to install the Betas in you iOS devices. You don't need Mac OS 10.6.5 to install the iOS 4.2 SDK beta in you Mac as well. You only need 10.6.5 to for testing AirPrint with your iOS development devices.

Edit: To test AirPrint on a PC you need to download AppleMobileDevice software available for developers.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

When the day comes that printers no longer require drivers, you might have a point. Having to install drivers on iOS devices, now that would be an epic fail.

My point is valid already. Thank goodness for the new articles... It says they support ePrint for direct printing. So, no drivers and no computer in the middle. Having no direct option would have been an epic fail. Now I need to ping Brother about ePrint support on their network printers.... FTP'ing files to my printer to print them was getting old.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Agreed. It's just that the current iPad OS and the current iPad "productivity" apps are barely beta quality, and they just don't have the capabilities necessary to do actual work. I'm a big supporter in general, it's just that I'm getting older and I want Apple to actually finish the job and put out a portable tablet *computer* sometime before I die.

Again, Agreed. It's just that all you can really do with MobileMe right now is view documents. I could do that 15 years ago. Why can't I use my iPad for instance to load a document from MobileMe, edit it, and save it back to Mobile Me?

I'm a writer and I use Pages, so when the iPad came out I moved all my documents to it (what a nightmare that was), and proceeded to try and use the iPad as a true mobile computer for writing. It simply doesn't work. It would take pages and pages to explain all the many gotchas, and stupid design choices that get in your way, but I've heard the same from every single person I run into with an iPad that tried to do what I did.

The iPad does indeed have a great future, I'm just impatient at the glacial pace of development. Pages for iPad should be FREE it's missing so many basic features. It really is a beta level product.

The iPad OS, the iPad hardware design, the iPad "productivity" apps, and the manner in which it's tied to iTunes are all huge detriments to getting anything actually done on it. I would sum the iPad up thusly:

- best reader I ever had

- best virtual magazines

- 2nd best iPod

The iPad is not designed to be a portable computer, at least for now. That's most unfortunate. Apple doesn't want the iPad to cut in the sales of iPods, iPhones, MacBooks or MacBook Pros.

Apple won't get my money until I can use the iPad as a light weight portable computer to write and take notes everywhere.

• Reply 36 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It's worth pointing out that the "issues" described at the end of this article are not global. I have several devices on 4.2 now without any of the described issues. MobileMe is pushing fine.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Again, Agreed. It's just that all you can really do with MobileMe right now is view documents. I could do that 15 years years ago. Why can't I use my iPad for instance to load a document from MobileMe, edit it, and save it back to Mobile Me?

- best reader I ever had

- best virtual magazines

- 2nd best iPod

You're just bad at typing on it, and haven't even tried to get better. I've been near pro-performance on a standard keyboard for years, and with a few patient weeks (more like days) of practice, I'm a wiz on the iPad keyboard. Is it perfect? Nope. Is the worst anything? Nope. Not even close.

And no, Pages should not be free. It's the most valuable app on my iPad, I get more professional use out of it than any other app, and its not missing anything crucial. Any business professional, (WHO TAKES THE TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE APP), can do anything they normally do, using Pages for iPad.

You list absolutely no examples of issues you ran into, yet you promise they are numerous, so much so that you can't even list them (although that's all we're really interested in...)

Also, no one ever suggested that it would be a good idea to stop using Pages on the Mac in favor of Pages on the iPad. They should be used together. That's what I do, and I cannot even describe the convenience and benefit I've seen from being able to take Pages and my Pages docs to work, to appointments, etc..etc..etc..
  • Reply 38 of 39
    It would be good if Apple had made the SDK like XCode available for Windows too. it would widen their market coverage and further expand their growth... I wonder why they don't.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriosly I think a number of factors come into play.
    1. XCode is built around UNIX and as such uses many tools popular on that platform. Running such tools on Windows has always been an issue.

2. You don't see Visual Studio running on a Mac! It might sound funny to people who use Eclipse or other open IDEs but it is a lot of extra effort to do cross platform IDEs. It should surprise no one that Eclipse is based on Java.

3. Putting XCode on Windows means putting the SDK there also In the end that could be a bad thing for selling Apple hardware. Plus it means a whole translation layer would be needed

4. For most developers the cost of Mac Hardware is trivial. Especially when it is understood that the hardware can run Windows fine.

As to the expanding growth don't forget that Mac sales are booming right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andreiru View Post

It would be good if Apple had made the SDK like XCode available for Windows too. it would widen their market coverage and further expand their growth... I wonder why they don't.