iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%

Comments

• Reply 101 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I agree with you here, for sure. That's the same annoyance with Blackberry--having to wait for the carrier to push out updates. However, the Droid X update is coming out this month. And, with the next iteration of Android 3.0, supposedly (we'll see) it will be less carrier and device dependent.

Secure feeling about apps? What is that exactly?

Not holding my breath for 2.2 ,

Since the apps arent tested by Google , or certified in any way other than the developer I have the feeling that Im playing Russian roulette when buying apps.

Good thing I didnt use that wallpaper app that was gathering users information.
  • Reply 102 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Android's rise is temporary. Microsoft will take a bit away from Android. RIM will eventually come around with decent hardware (i.e. Storm 3 this winter) and Nokia will break into America. WebOS may make a dent too but we'll see if HP let's it die on the vine.

Maybe those new entrants will expand the market, rather than poaching existing customers? The smartphone industry is currently riding a rising tide. Everybody can do well. Apple can do well with a small slice of the market. They do it with their computers, and likely will do it with their phone.

Android shows no sign of slowing down. If anything, it is accelerating in popularity among consumers who think different.
  • Reply 103 of 360
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

More like, "There is a segment of the tech community who stupidly believe Google's marketing about Android's openness. So they will favor Android over Apple for what the conceive as philosophical reasons, but really because they are too stupid to understand what's going on."

I disagree...the tech savvy know that there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device.

I have owned both the iPhone 4 and an HTC EVO. They both have great qualities! But the EVO in my humble opinion blows the iPhone away. I am NOT an Apple hater by any means I have in my house right now 2 iPhone 3Gs, 2 iMacs and Macbook Pro and an iPad so I am an Apple supporter through my purchasing decisions. I wonder how many people that are slamming Android phones have ever actually owned one!

Watch this video about HTC Sense and tell me it does not blow you away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kax24GN1458

There is so much customizing you can do from every aspect from the HTC Sense overlay to custom ROMS that Apple cannot compete with......
  • Reply 104 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Meanwhile the iP4 is sold out and selling faster than they can make them.

This is the crux of it. Not enough available, esp. the white (for instance, my wife has given up waiting). Apple screwed up in a big way with its supply chain.

Thank goodness they told Papermaster to take a hike. (And, I still maintain that it was a really poor decision to hire him, a decision that seems to have been largely implemented when Steve was away from his CEO job for six months).
  • Reply 105 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is this because Android is better? Should I sell my iPhone 4 before iOS reaches zero percent market share?

Keep it until the ecosystem for another phone makes you happier. That is the only significance of market share to you.

Indeed, some devices are attractive enough without significant market share or ecosystem. I used to own a hot-shit Moto phone, for example. It was one of the only phones on the market at the time which could play MP3s. It had removable storage, and I could load up a micro-SD card with lots of music. It was one of the best phones I've ever owned.

But for chargers, I had to search. And the headphone jack was not standard, so I had to use the Moto headphones or a very few other choices.

But because it was such a great phone, it was all OK.

Same with the iPhone. There's a lot to like, even if the ecosystem shrinks proportionately with market share. As of now, CE stores devote a lot of shelf space to iPhone accessories. As other choices gain marketshare, accessories for them will replace the iPhone accessories on the limited shelf space.

But if you still like your iPhone, keep it. All it needs to do is to retain a critical mass, and it will retain a sufficient ecosystem.

Hey - there's practically no ecosystem for the Mac, but people still are able to get enough software that they keep 'em.
  • Reply 106 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I disagree...the tech savvy know that there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device.

I have owned both the iPhone 4 and an HTC EVO. They both have great qualities! But the EVO in my humble opinion blows the iPhone away. I am NOT an Apple hater by any means I have in my house right now 2 iPhone 3Gs, 2 iMacs and Macbook Pro and an iPad so I am an Apple supporter through my purchasing decisions. I wonder how many people that are slamming Android phones have ever actually owned one!

Watch this video about HTC Sense and tell me it does not blow you away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kax24GN1458

There is so much customizing you can do from every aspect from the HTC Sense overlay to custom ROMS that Apple cannot compete with......

It's nice to hear reports from people like you who actually OWN and USE both iPhone and Android devices. There aren't many who have that luxury.
  • Reply 107 of 360
    They would just go to a carrier independent phone like they do in the rest of the world.Then the carriers wouldn't screw up the phones with their crapware and restrictions.
  • Reply 108 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Not holding my breath for 2.2 ,

Since the apps arent tested by Google , or certified in any way other than the developer I have the feeling that Im playing Russian roulette when buying apps.

Good thing I didnt use that wallpaper app that was gathering users information.

All Market apps have to be approved to get on the Market. They do scrutinize, but in a very different way than Apple does. Apple uses its own "morality" code to keep out certain apps. That's akin to a network editing out foul language from a movie or TV show.

To be sure, the Market is far from perfect, but it's also newer than Apple's. It's maturing.

One other thing: all apps you purchase on the Market have a 24-hour refund policy, so if you don't like it, uninstall/refund. It's pretty simple. I'm not sure if the App Store has that policy.

One more thing: the Market has far more free apps than the app store, so chances are, most of your downloads are free ones, so there's nothing to lose in terms of money.
  • Reply 109 of 360
    pouahahahahahahah what a false report it is.

Let's stop those conversation. This study ending by the end of July so just one month after the iPhone 4 is made available and sold out in the first week. most of that study was when the iPhone 4 was not on sale and everybody wait for the next generation. Who will buy the iPhone 3GS wjhen everybody know the new model is coming.

The iPhone 4 still not available everywere in the world, how can we say that android raise is market share and Apple lost some points. Let's wait when Apple will ba able to meet demand.

The guy in CNN think the same way than me.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/...Top+Stories%29

Android lover take this
  • Reply 110 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

All Market apps have to be approved to get on the Market. They do scrutinize, but in a very different way than Apple does. Apple uses its own "morality" code to keep out certain apps. That's akin to a network editing out foul language from a movie or TV show.

To be sure, the Market is far from perfect, but it's also newer than Apple's. It's maturing.

One other thing: all apps you purchase on the Market have a 24-hour refund policy, so if you don't like it, uninstall/refund. It's pretty simple. I'm not sure if the App Store has that policy.

One more thing: the Market has far more free apps than the app store, so chances are, most of your downloads are free ones, so there's nothing to lose in terms of money.

Also so I can go to one website http://www.appbrain.com/ and browse all the apps I want and install/uninstall right from the the website without ever having to touch my phone. If I completely wiped my phone and started over with a new ROM I can go to this site and reinstall all of my apps again.......it remembers the ones that were purchased and I will not get charged again....
  • Reply 111 of 360
    It only takes listening to 30 seconds of the sales pitch from one of the sales people at a local branch of a national electronics chain to understand one of the reasons that Android is doing so well (conversation paraphrased):

Customer: I'd like to buy a smartphone.

Salesperson: Have you considered an Android phone.

Customer: I was sort of hoping for an iPhone.

Salesperson: Well, iPhones are okay but they have reception problems, they're quite expensive and the operating system isn't any better than Android. I can show you 3 or 4 phones that give you everything an iPhone gives you but they are cheaper, have no reception problems and offer you apps just like the iPhone.

Customer: Sure, let's have a look...

Etc.
  • Reply 112 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

It's very interesting you don't develop for BlackBerry. Why not? Thoughts on BlackBerry 6?

We just develop for those platforms clients ask us for. Currently, for Apps, we get:

iOS = 85% of client enquiries

Android = 10% of client enquiries

Win Phone 7 = 5% of client enquiries

We haven't had a single Blackberry or webOS enquiry now for almost 5 months. There doesn't seem to be the demand to...... 'extend' ..... from clients that have fleets of BB.

Clients also have to review existing Apps on a platform in conjunction with their bespoke project, so they can assess the total value of their investment (in the device/platform).

And of course the iOS figures includes both iPad and iPhone, with demand between the two about 50/50.

You might be right about Apple not being able to meet demand being a problem. One of our iOS projects is for a Corporate that gave up on Win Mobile and couldn't wait for Win Phone 7. Although, to be fair, the decision was also based on the Enterprise Security features now baked into iOS. And, again, because staff demand was for iPhone (Mind Share again - see my earlier post). So who knows how the market shakes out, if iPhone4s were in plentiful supply. Not being US based, it is hard to tell for sure, but from here, single carrier certainly seems to be part of the issue.

One interesting difference, is the request for Apps for Android are totally utilitarian, whereas iOS requests are more varied, including marketing vehicles, hardware integrations and promotional tools.
  • Reply 113 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It only takes listening to 30 seconds of the sales pitch from one of the sales people at a local branch of a national electronics chain to understand one of the reasons that Android is doing so well (conversation paraphrased):

Customer: I'd like to buy a smartphone.

Salesperson: Have you considered an Android phone.

Customer: I was sort of hoping for an iPhone.

Salesperson: Well, iPhones are okay but they have reception problems, they're quite expensive and the operating system isn't any better than Android. I can show you 3 or 4 phones that give you everything an iPhone gives you but they are cheaper, have no reception problems and offer you apps just like the iPhone.

Customer: Sure, let's have a look...

Etc.

Bingo! I have been in Best Buy and heard that EXACT same conversation between a customer and a sales rep........
  • Reply 114 of 360
    This point may have already been made. But Android's success should help to convince Steve Jobs that it's past time for the Verizon iPhone. I know I'm ready for one. Nevertheless, I do like Android's rise. It pushes Apple to get even better.
  • Reply 115 of 360
    Apple's market share may be decreasing, but the absolute number of iPhones that Apple is selling every month is growing rapidly. Apple has never been about the market share. They don't care about the market share. What is important is the size of the profit margin that Apple is able to pocket from every iPhone they are selling, not the number of iPhones they are selling. Apple could lower the price of the iPhone by 40% and still make some money. This would boost their market share dramatically, but this would decrease the profits and would negatively affect the stock. As a share holder, I do not care about the current market share that the iPhone holds. What I care about is that Apple continues to post record revenue and record profit numbers every quarter.

Android, by the way, is not "selling" anything - it is free. Various hardware manufacturers that use Android as a platform are selling their hardware. None of them is selling more smart phones than Apple is selling. Android is creating a monster with their fragmentation of the OS. They are allowing various smart phone manufacturers to run discrete User Interfaces on top of the stock Android OS. Therefore, from the user perspective, we should be speaking of Androids not the Android. At the same time, Google is trying to make money on Android by pushing adds to user phones. Why would anyone want to have a semi-functional device with horrible battery life, mediocre apps, and at the same time volunteer to be subjected to incessant ads for the same price that one could get an iPhone is beyond me.

If you can jailbreak your iPhone, you get the best of two worlds - a very tightly integrated OS, best mobile apps on the market, and the ability to go beyond what Steve Jobs thinks you should be allowed to do on your iPhone. However, for 95% of smart phone users, the stock iPhone (without a jailbreak) is a perfect smart phone. Once the iPhone goes CDMA, only masochists will be getting an Android phone if the price of the iPhone is the same as an Android phone. Smart phone manufacturers that chose Android as their platform will have to give away their phones, hoping to recoup the manufacturing costs via carriers sharing revenue from subscription services. Apple, on the other hand, can continue pocketing 45% profit margin off every iPhone they are selling.
  • Reply 116 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by widowsoft View Post

First off those of you sitting in glee at the STATISTICS just remember if it had not been for Apple you would still be using your mobile with a crappy interface.

i agree. if it weren't for Apple competing there wouldn't have been such a significant advancement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by widowsoft View Post

The whole episode proves that competition does not promote advancement, the whole mobile industry were delivering the same same phones year in year out.

oh wait, i don't agree with you as you don't even agree with yourself.
  • Reply 117 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

If the walled garden model is so great, then why does Apple allow this supposedly horrible, buggy and insecure software to be loaded onto their Macs?

If you laptop crashes, you can re-install the OS and start over. If you phone crashes, you have no more phone, which may result in some serious consequences. Also, smart phones function on battery life most of the time. Badly written apps can drain the battery very quickly, creating a negative PR for the phone itself. For laptops, the battery life is not nearly as critical as it is for smart phones.

I am sure there are about 1,000 more reasons why Apple is not instituting a "walled garden" model for OS X applications.
  • Reply 118 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Apple needs enough market share that developers (developers! developers! developers! ) create apps for iOS. Microsoft won out partly because of the lockstep Office/Windows and because of third party developments. The Android market is so immature compared to the iOS market that the development is still in Apple's favour. Phones like Android phones, RIM phones, Nokia and a future WinPhone7 have a lot of catching up top do still. And the actual money made in Android market is still not much (let alone the other contenders). As long as that is the case, the Mac/Win95 comparison is not really applicable.

If Microsoft succeeds at putting a believable Office on WinPhone7, it alone might do very good in the business world to start with and that gives you a market share that developers will flock to.

Apple relaxing the app store rulings on other developer environments can also partly be seen in this light: it is the developers that are a key ingredient in the circle that drives tha platform.

Android is a possible platform contender, but so far outside the US it is mainly a feature phone +. What is it? Only 6 countries where Android developers can actually charge for apps? ANd where are usable ANdroid tablets that can run the same apps? And where is the change in the Android's memory model that will allow it to run larger apps? Android phones are cheap partly because they have not much memory and you need to add it with a SD card that is limited in its use as an app playground. Has that changed yet? Google announced it would change over a year ago. That is going to change, but so is Apple's lock to AT&T in the US. And how is Google going to make money on Android? If not, how are they going to keep up? ANd what about Chrome vs Android? If Chrome is going to be the laptop OS, what does that spell for Android as a 'mobile platform', that is, more than just smartphones?

Anyway, Apple can still screw up and they are only one company in the end. They are currently not motivated to reduce their margins as they cannot grow fast enough to make up for that.

But on the other hand, the ecosystem is looking nicer and nicer, with Facetime, the remote app on your phone handling your in house entertainment streaming via AirPlay, the 7in retina display iPad and more to come.

Android is doing good in the US market, but it is not a done deal. The developers at least will flock to here they can make money best.

http://www.archos.com/?

how about you dont talk about something you dont know anything about? k? thanks.

I hate how all you people bash andriod when you dont even know what your saying. If your gonna bash it... atleast say something that is relevant to the current time...

the samsung epic comes with 16 gb micro sd... and you can replace that with 32 gb if you wanted..thats plenty of space.. and you can install apps on it and simply take the card from phone to phone and not have to reinstall everything.
  • Reply 119 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I also think the HTC Evo is a good phone. But one thing I dont like about the evo is that it tends to eat up the battery fast. My friend has the evo and he has an extra battery and always carries his charger around with him. If you're gonna use the hdmi or mobile hotspot, make sure to use it while it's in the charger lol

lol... show me a phone where mobile hotspot doest completely drain the battery? my evo lasts longer then my dads iphone does... sure if i turn on 4g it eats battery... but 3g used to do that when it was new too.
  • Reply 120 of 360
    What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.