First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 for iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Great article, cant wait for iPad update.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xed17 View Post

Multitasking? I could honestly do without it

I'm waiting for what seems will be an eternity, for Apple to start supporting web based rich text editing.

What about uploading images or files using a web based file upload control? ... I have absolutely no way to simply upload a file to my own web site.

I don't use that slider either to lock the screen, nor will I for muting. It's just no big deal. I need enhancements that allow me to get more work done.

It's like you were reading my mind, lol!

The only multi-tasking feature I like is being able to play Pandora in the background while doing other activities. Otherwise, I also could do without it.

Not being able to do bold and italics in an e-mail is crazy!

And I only found out the other day that I couldn't select files in the browser to upload -- I had to quickly find an app to use to upload pics to my blog. I shoulda just been able to use my blog's standard pic upload page to do it...

I also don't use the physical orientation lock. I can understand why people who use it would be upset about losing it though.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Er... what? The iOS 3.2 SDK supported both iPhone and iPad, as does the latest 4.1 SDK.

You've only ever needed one copy of the XCode tools to build apps for either iPhone or iPad or both.

The beta unifies the OS version number for the two devices, and makes some of the iOS4.x API functions available for the iPad, but otherwise it makes little or no difference to developers.

If you've been building your iPad apps with a different copy of XCode to the one you use for building iPhone/iPod apps, you probably need to re-read the documentation.

I over-simplified...

There was one iOS version supported for the iPad and several supported for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The problem came about because the iPad iOS did not support the iOS 4. X additions, multi-tasking, iAds, etc.

There are some subtle differences in 4.x:

--if you have an app that saves state.

--if you use media player

--if you used newly-deprecated components

Suffice to say, having the iPad and iPhone on different iOS versions is a hassle for developers.

FWIW, there are currently 3 XCode versions:

-- 3.24 with iOS 4.1

-- 3.25 with iOS 4.2

-- 4 Developer Preview with iOS 4.1

Each of these comes with it's own complete set of XCode, iOS versions and documentation.

The documentation instructs you to Install each of these on a separate Mac.

Any apps submitted to the app store must be prepared using the current SDK/iOS -- 3.24 with iOS 4.1 .

When the latest SDK/iOS -- 3.25 with iOS 4.2 becomes "current", life will be a lot easier as a single installation, set of docs, frameworks, APIs will be used for all iDevices.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    For those that were concerned about it, the software orientation lock in 4.2 on the iPad does work in both portrait and landscape modes.

Personally, I'm in favor of the hardware switch now providing a mute function. I often have my iPad with me in meetings, or nearby at night, and having to turn on my iPad, unlock it, and then use the volume rocker to lower the volume all the way down is a clumsy thing to have to do when the sound of new emails and calendar requests gets intrusive (especially if I forgot to turn the sound down at night, and a stream of emails come in at 3am). Similarly, having to manually increase the volume back to where it was is just as bad, and easily forgotten about. A simple flick of a switch works really well for me. I've maybe used the orientation lock half a dozen times in total despite making heavy use of iBooks and Kindle, whereas I typically want to mute the device frequently (at least once a day).

Having said that, with the variety of uses the iPad has I can see how others would prefer the original orientation lock function. It does seem a good idea to make this a configuration option. The only downside would be redundant functionality (i.e. both a hardware and a software orientation lock if the button were used in that mode). Maybe one approach would be to also change the function assigned to the multi-tasking tray based on the same preference; if the user has selected mute for the hardware switch, a left-swipe on the multi-tasking tray gets them to the orientation lock (per current 4.2 functionality), whereas if they've selected orientation lock for the hardware switch, they get a mute/unmute button in the multi-tasking tray.

Also, I've always felt the lock screen is underused. It could be handy to have orientation and mute/unmute toggles on that screen too, as there's plenty of space for it. There's the danger of accidental triggering of course, but I'd find those functions more useful than the current slideshow button.

Lastly, a vibrate option on the iPad would be nice in a future hardware revision, in conjunction with the mute switch. I realize nobody's carrying an iPad in their pocket, but I still find the mute/vibrate mode useful on my iPhone when not in my pocket (i.e. as a more subtle alert, which I can still hear when my iPhone is resting on a table, and still feel when carrying it in my hand).

By the way, one feature I have not yet found in iOS 4.2 is the "Find text on web pages" Safari feature mentioned on the 4.2 "Coming Soon" page. Anyone spotted that?
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Does anybody know if the there are more bluetooth keyboard shortcuts added to this update? I am looking to use some ipads at work for electronic medical records and before, the ios wouldn't allow 3rd party apps to use control keys or directional keys to help with navigation. I am hoping this is fixed in this new update.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I disagree completely!

I suspect that the iPad will soon have FaceTime and could use a mute button (as, supposedly, it was originally called).

I prefer the software lock! You can still mute the sound with the volume rocker, if you prefer that method.

I'm not so sure everyone isn't going off half cocked here because the addition of a software lock doesn't necessarily imply the loss of the hardware lock, but if this is the case, then I'm with those saying that this is a colossally bad move.

In my personal experience with the iPad, one of the most annoying things about it is the way the screen will go upside down and sideways and spin around etc. when you are using it. I understand the idea of it, and was actually in favour of it before my iPad arrived, but in practice I found myself reaching for the orientation lock almost every time I picked the iPad up.

Again, in terms of being a "productivity" device (the iPad is expressly trying to be this according to Apple), having a desktop who's icons reorient themselves every five minutes and applications that run upside down is definitely *not* a feature. I get far more actual work done on the iPhone desktop than I do on the iPad.

If all you are doing is reaching for buttons for various TV stations or stores then the user is focussing on the icon (usually a familiar logo) and it works. The CBS, NBC, Amazon, etc. icons are distinctive enough "buttons" to press no matter where they were on the screen the last time you saw them. If on the other hand you want to type an important document fast, moving the stupid thing around and scanning through all the icons to find the one you want is a definite negative IMO and once you get it started, having the screen literally do a summersault every time your train hits a bump on track is impossible.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by complicity View Post

How do you type that (R) symbol? Obviously, how to do that is the the first thing that comes to mind when I type a name like Apple(R).

Apple is overriding the iPad's lock button to make it a volume mute button? By Apple (R)'s own app store rules, changing the functionality of buttons is not allowed, so they'll have to ban distribution of iOS (Registered trademark used under license) 4.2 from Apple (R).

Right now the options to use symbol keys on the iPad are limited. They will come. Patience is virtue.

In the meantime, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard and have access to all the symbols.

As a work-around, copy the enclosed symbols, some of which are available on the iPad now*, and email them to yourself.
    ? ∑ ´ ® ? ¥ ¨ ? ø π ? ? « å ß ∂ ? © ˙ ∆ ˚ ¬ ? æ Ω ≈ ç √ ∫ ? µ ≤ ≥ ÷

? ∑ ´ ® ?
  • Reply 68 of 83
    I really like the button for locking screen orientation. Why would I ever need a mute button? That idea is just ridiculously bad.

I hope they add the option to keep the button as it is.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Great article guys.

Let me just ask for everyone's understanding whilst I use caps for a few words:

THE NEW SOFTWARE ORIENTATION LOCK IS A COLOSSALLY STUPID MOVE BY APPLE.

Thanks for letting me take it off my chest.

Hey apple software engineers please get it:

The mute button is there on a phone for a very good reason, quick mute for calls, there isn't any reason to be there on an ipad, you are almost never going to quickly need to mute the device.

Even if you do need that on such a rare occasion, there's a way to do it, just one second on the lower volume button.

The screen lock physical button it's a essential, there are users such as myself that use it very, very often, I literally use it sometimes a few times within an hour. People need a button, to see if it's lock or not, to feel the button and do it with one click instead of double clicking the main ipad button then choosing lock screen then going back to their application.

It's an inexplicably stupid decision to change this. You can already mute by holding the volume for less than a sec or a for second or so. Why do you need to use another (very, very useful button or even an indispensable one for screen lock) button to do the very same thing. So essentially you 'll have two buttons sharing functionality in a device that only has three buttons? How dumb is that? Two of the three control buttons controlling sound on a device that isn't primarily an ipod but a browser/reader/photos/apps/video device. Why? Oh Why? A dedicated mute on a device that isn't a phone to ring and bother you when you don't want it to?

And a word to the Stevster: You said it first Steve, you aren't perfect, you are close in terms of tech, but you are not perfect. Recent case in point the inexplicable washing out of all colour in itunes sidebar that makes it virtually impossible to navigate it for anyone without the eyes of an 18 year old. Going counter every neuroscience study on human perception (hint:colour and pictures far quicker to distinguish quickly than grey and words) and counter to even apple's own human interface guidelines. Hear again with this choice you are making a bad move. Change it.

Please everyone send apple feedback on this, they will have to listen.

To each his own.

I have been using my iPad for presentation purposes and have often had to use the volume controls to mute parts of the program. Sometimes with embarrassing results.

I personally like the idea of muting with a single click as being proposed. It would be a lot faster and less clumsy, and I am sure my kids would prefer it as well when I come into their bedroom.

The beauty of 'single' click vs. using the volume control, is that it returns the volume to exactly the same level I had set it originally.

It also conforms to Apple's other mobile devices.

In addition, with Skype/VOIP and FaceTime coming, instant muting will be a god-send, as every second longer, could be catastrophic. Ask my kids and spouse.

And a word to you, better you tone down your rhetoric. You demanding attitude is childish. Ask you kids.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    This is close to getting too complex for the type of appliance computer it's supposed to be.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Thank AI, this is a very informative article. Excellent. I have not tried it yet, but 4.2 looks great and elegantly implemented - typical Apple. Not sure about the orientation lock yet, but already I think the brightness adjustment is way cool. So many times I am in Safari during the evening and have to leave Safari to goto SETTINGS to adjust the brightness. The new approach is way better.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Changing the orientation lock in iOS 4.2 is a HUGE PROBLEM. I can't believe Apple did this.

I've posted an open letter to Steve Jobs here about this issue:

http://scottworldblog.wordpress.com/...t-aint-broken/
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

To each his own.

I have been using my iPad for presentation purposes and have often had to use the volume controls to mute parts of the program. Sometimes with embarrassing results.

I personally like the idea of muting with a single click as being proposed. It would be a lot faster and less clumsy, and I am sure my kids would prefer it as well when I come into their bedroom.

PLEASE. How hard is it to hold down the "volume down" button for 1/2 second?

I bet you didn't even realize that you COULD hold down the volume button for 1/2 second to mute the iPad.

Removing the screen lock orientation from the button on the side makes the iPad much more cumbersome to use, as I discuss in my open letter to Steve Jobs here:

iOS 4.2 on iPad: don't fix it if it aint broken
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Great article guys.

Let me just ask for everyone's understanding whilst I use caps for a few words:

THE NEW SOFTWARE ORIENTATION LOCK IS A COLOSSALLY STUPID MOVE BY APPLE.

Thanks for letting me take it off my chest.

Hey apple software engineers please get it:

The mute button is there on a phone for a very good reason, quick mute for calls, there isn't any reason to be there on an ipad, you are almost never going to quickly need to mute the device.

Even if you do need that on such a rare occasion, there's a way to do it, just one second on the lower volume button.

The screen lock physical button it's a essential, there are users such as myself that use it very, very often, I literally use it sometimes a few times within an hour. People need a button, to see if it's lock or not, to feel the button and do it with one click instead of double clicking the main ipad button then choosing lock screen then going back to their application.

It's an inexplicably stupid decision to change this. You can already mute by holding the volume for less than a sec or a for second or so. Why do you need to use another (very, very useful button or even an indispensable one for screen lock) button to do the very same thing. So essentially you 'll have two buttons sharing functionality in a device that only has three buttons? How dumb is that? Two of the three control buttons controlling sound on a device that isn't primarily an ipod but a browser/reader/photos/apps/video device. Why? Oh Why? A dedicated mute on a device that isn't a phone to ring and bother you when you don't want it to?

And a word to the Stevster: You said it first Steve, you aren't perfect, you are close in terms of tech, but you are not perfect. Recent case in point the inexplicable washing out of all colour in itunes sidebar that makes it virtually impossible to navigate it for anyone without the eyes of an 18 year old. Going counter every neuroscience study on human perception (hint:colour and pictures far quicker to distinguish quickly than grey and words) and counter to even apple's own human interface guidelines. Hear again with this choice you are making a bad move. Change it.

Please everyone send apple feedback on this, they will have to listen.

Couldn't agree with you more. I just sent an email to Steve Jobs this morning on this very topic, and even posted it an as open letter on my blog as well: iOS 4.2 on iPad: don't fix it if it aint broken

But everybody needs to send in feedback to Apple about this, and everybody needs to write Steve Jobs about this, if we are to make any impact on this huge mistake from Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

PLEASE. How hard is it to hold down the "volume down" button for 1/2 second?

I bet you didn't even realize that you COULD hold down the volume button for 1/2 second to mute the iPad.

Removing the screen lock orientation from the button on the side makes the iPad much more cumbersome to use, as I discuss in my open letter to Steve Jobs here:

iOS 4.2 on iPad: don't fix it if it aint broken

You are talking to the wrong guy Scotty.

I use and as do a lot of others, Skype on my iPad. I also use SoundNote, DragonDictation, FileMaker Go, and a few other apps for presentation purposes. Muting the volume by holding down the volume button is one thing. Having to un-mute to my original level is, in a word, (more) cumbersome than having a switch that just mutes; like my iPhone.

When the next iPad is introduced, FaceTime will dominate. Being able to keep your conversation private with a quick flip of the switch, like the iPhone does now, will become the norm, necessary and makes life easier.

I flip my iPhone more times a day than I ever do on my iPad.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Changing the orientation lock in iOS 4.2 is a HUGE PROBLEM. I can't believe Apple did this.

I've posted an open letter to Steve Jobs here about this issue:

http://scottworldblog.wordpress.com/...t-aint-broken/

Well reading thru your letter I realize I must be in the VERY small minority of users who dont care that the change was made.

Have had the iPad since day 1 and have used the screen lock maybe a couple times.

I know I have had to mute the sound many more times, and yes you can hold the volume rocker for a second and it mutes. The thing I dont like is that when you want to get back to your desired volume you have to click to volume rocker up to get there. You can not just unmute and have your volume return to where it was previously.

At the end of the day this is still the 1st beta of 4.2, hopefully they add a user option and make everyone happy.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

I over-simplified...

Suffice to say, having the iPad and iPhone on different iOS versions is a hassle for developers.

That's true, but it still will be unless you are intending to drop support for 3.x devices the moment that 4.2 hits. Most developers aren't. For them it will make no difference. Most of us will still be supporting iOS3.x on both devices until iOS5 comes out, or Apple drops support for 3.x in the SDK, whichever come first.

It'll be great for users that the iPad now has multitasking, etc, but for most developers it will just be a quick recompile and re-upload to the app store (to enable fast switching) and then business as usual.

Quote:

FWIW, there are currently 3 XCode versions:

-- 3.24 with iOS 4.1

-- 3.25 with iOS 4.2

-- 4 Developer Preview with iOS 4.1

Each of these comes with it's own complete set of XCode, iOS versions and documentation.

The documentation instructs you to Install each of these on a separate Mac.

Xcode 4 beta installs in a separate developer directory to the 3.x version by default so there's no conflict. Many of Apple's beta release notes have mentioned support for installing beta versions into a folder called DeveloperBeta to avoid conflict with the production version. I run all three SDKs on my primary development machine without any issues.

Quote:

Any apps submitted to the app store must be prepared using the current SDK/iOS -- 3.24 with iOS 4.1 .

When the latest SDK/iOS -- 3.25 with iOS 4.2 becomes "current", life will be a lot easier as a single installation, set of docs, frameworks, APIs will be used for all iDevices.

Surely it just means that instead of using 3.24 with the 4.1 SDK for all devices, we'll use 3.25 with the 4.2 SDK for all devices? Some "if ([object respondsToSelector:@selector(some_OS4_API)]) ..." clauses will now branch a different way at runtime on the iPad, but that's about it.

When iOS4.2 becomes current, developers will install it over their current 4.1 SDK, and then their DeveloperBeta folder will lie unused for a few weeks until the iOS4.3 beta SDK comes out, and then the cycle will start all over again. The Xcode 4 beta will presumably stay in the same place until it is released officially (unless they intend to ship it with iOS4.2, but I doubt it).

I don't mean to come across as a douche (well, maybe a little) but I really don't get what point you're trying to make. You're clearly a developer, but as one developer to another I really don't get where you're coming from with this - this is completely business as usual. I'm way more excited about the iOS4.2 release as a consumer than as a developer.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    this might be an off-note, but where did you get those two wallpapers (the aqua-gree water bubbles and the black with a red water bubble....) they are very nice and would love to have them on my iPad
  • Reply 79 of 83
    My android phone has these "in app ads" .. it SUCKS!

every thing I do on the phone has spam ads... I hate it- and can't get rid of them.

If this happens in the iPad - I will throw it out the window.

It's similar to having annoying pop-up ads in the internet- but you cant get rid of them. And they are everywhere.

What does "in app Ads" really mean ?????
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by li2a View Post

My android phone has these "in app ads" .. it SUCKS!

every thing I do on the phone has spam ads... I hate it- and can't get rid of them.

If this happens in the iPad - I will throw it out the window.

It's similar to having annoying pop-up ads in the internet- but you cant get rid of them. And they are everywhere.

What does "in app Ads" really mean ?????

Read the comments from un-happy droid users re: in-app ads:

http://phandroid.com/2010/08/25/andr...os-says-study/