Mysterious 'iProd2' reference in iOS is new Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
References to an unreleased product dubbed "iProd2,1" that were discovered in Apple's iOS software earlier this year have turned out to be the new Apple TV.

A developer looking through the USB device configuration list in the first iOS 4.2 beta discovered that the device is the new Apple TV, now referred to as "AppleTV2,1," according to TUAW.

When the references to an "iProd2" were found earlier this year, many assumed it was a new iPad in the works. That's because the first-generation iPad was represented by the name "iProd1,0" and later "iProd1,1" in early betas of iOS 3.0 software.

The information also serves as yet another piece of evidence that the new Apple TV interface is based on the iOS mobile operating system found on the iPhone and iPad. While Apple has revealed that its new set top box runs the same A4 processor as the iPhone 4, iPad and fourth-generation iPod touch, it has not revealed any connections to the new Apple TV software.

That led author Steven Sande to speculate it could mean that the new Apple TV could be "jailbroken" in much the same way the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are, offering users the ability to modify their device's operating system and install software not allowed by Apple. A substantial modding community devoted to the original Apple TV also blossomed during that device's time on the market.

"Analysts have speculated that the onboard storage of the new Apple TV will be minimal, since the company has publicly stated that the device will support media streaming only," the report said. "As a result, if hackers are able to jailbreak the device, there may not be enough room to run custom apps, nor is it clear how those applications would interact with the Apple Remote."

Due to be released later this month, the new Apple TV is a quarter the size of its predecessor with limited internal storage. Instead, the new device focuses on streaming content, including TV episode rentals for 99 cents. It also carries a price less than half that of the original, at just $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Streaming games and apps would be good too from devices like you iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    What a 'SHOCKING' Development
  • Reply 3 of 26
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Would be awesome if they can jailbreak it so that you can plug an external HDD into the back for offline storage.

It's great that I can rent a moive, but on my slow connection it's not really feasible for the instant on world that Apple expects people with an Apple TV to have, I don't want to have to turn on my MacBook Pro just to stream movies and music etc across all the time. \
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Streaming games and apps would be good too from devices like you iPhone.

That wold be AMAZING. That negates the need for storage on the Apple TV itself. It would also make the Apple TV multi-user. Each person has their own set of apps and settings on their own iPods/iPhones and the UI for the app is streamed to the Apple TV while using the iPod/iPhone as the controller.

I'm not sure how that would work with multi-taksing, unless Apple ads a feature similar to background audio that lets the app continue to stream while still in the background.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What nonsense is this fool writing. And i don't mean you.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There are several problems but one huge issue is bandwidth, the vast majority of people do not have reliable bandwidth for such a device.

Second why even bother with a streaming device anyways? Certainly if you can afford and actually get the bandwidth, would you not expect more funtionality out of this device?

All in all this idea of everything being streamed to individuals is a pipe dream. Apipe dream because the bandwidth simply isn't there. At least not at a level most people want to pay. In the end this looks like they are enabling the ugliest behaviours of the service providers. That is high cost low quality data services.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There are several problems but one huge issue is bandwidth, the vast majority of people do not have reliable bandwidth for such a device.

Second why even bother with a streaming device anyways? Certainly if you can afford and actually get the bandwidth, would you not expect more funtionality out of this device?

All in all this idea of everything being streamed to individuals is a pipe dream. Apipe dream because the bandwidth simply isn't there. At least not at a level most people want to pay. In the end this looks like they are enabling the ugliest behaviours of the service providers. That is high cost low quality data services.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. People who don't have the bandwidth can simply stream existing content from a computer. That's what I plan on doing. I'll be purchasing a mini server, and storing my 3TB of content on my drobo. I'll simply stream everything from the mini to the apple tv.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What nonsense is this fool writing. And i don't mean you.

? You mean the article? How so?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Well, I guess this torpedos the idea that the iProd was a 7" iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And the notion that an ARM-based AppleTV can?t possibly use iOS as the OS because it would have to use CocoaTouch as the UI.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    iProd probably stands for Product, and the i is probably used to confuse people. As jobs says, apple tries it's best to "surprise" it's customers. They did this, fully well knowing people decrypt it's firmware everyday.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roktheworld27 View Post

iProd probably stands for Product, and the i is probably used to confuse people. As jobs says, apple tries it's best to "surprise" it's customers. They did this, fully well knowing people decrypt it's firmware everyday.

This isn't from the firmware, its from an iOS 4.2beta configuration file. Ergo, iOS knows about how to run on an AppleTV2. It is so obvious that iOS would be used to implement an A4-based AppleTV (just like a version of MacOSX was used on the x86 based original AppleTV) that I can't believe we're still talking about it. The GUI and touch interface is a mere layer in the OS, removing it doesn't mean you're not running iOS anymore. Not to mention that iOS is really just Apple's port of MacOSX to their ARM platform.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

This isn't from the firmware, its from an iOS 4.2beta configuration file. Ergo, iOS knows about how to run on an AppleTV2. It is so obvious that iOS would be used to implement an A4-based AppleTV (just like a version of MacOSX was used on the x86 based original AppleTV) that I can't believe we're still talking about it. The GUI and touch interface is a mere layer in the OS, removing it doesn't mean you're not running iOS anymore. Not to mention that iOS is really just Apple's port of MacOSX to their ARM platform.

Well said, sir and/or ma'am!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    What I don't get about the new AppleTV is... why doesn't it run apps? I'm talking about apps more along the lines of PLEX plugins rather than stuff like facebook or games. With apps, channels like Comedy Central could create their own subscription model. Say, a dollar a month to run the Comedy Central app with full streaming live or streamed shows.

I'd ditch Comcast in a heartbeat if I could get ESPN, MSNBC and Comedy Central (for The Daily Show and Colbert).
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

There are several problems but one huge issue is bandwidth, the vast majority of people do not have reliable bandwidth for such a device. ...

I have nothing to say about the rest of your comment but I disagree with this part unless you add "in the USA" at the end.

Canada and most of Europe (excluding the UK primarily), have enough bandwidth for this kind of thing even on mobile devices, let alone the wired connections to peoples houses. In my house for instance (Canada), I don't have cable, all my 600 plus channels on the TV are already streamed over Ethernet from some server somewhere.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah it looks like at least next year for any updating of the iPad hardware. I will be very interested myself when they begin testing to see if there is a single model of the iPad or two. They would need to keep the current one in production, so the presence of two identifiers next time will tell us whether the 7" iPad is likely at all, or if (as it seems likely now), we might have to wait a few years.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

You may be right, but with Apple working really hard on their server side, perhaps with a big enough buffer in the ATV the effects of that will be negated. Plus it's only 720P max. Youtube has kind of led the way with this, so it's not that revolutionary. And since it's a wifi device rather than a 3G, and most people's internet connections can handle 480p YouTube videos, and it's likely optimized for Apple's servers and vice versa, I'll bet it'll work for 98%+ of the customers that buy it since most people who have crappy connections know it and aren't going to spend $99 to see if maybe their connection will be good enough for video on the ATV when it sucks on their computer already.

Why bother with a streaming device? It's cheaper for one. To put basically a Blockbuster video store in everyone's house is a dream come true. No fighting traffic to get to the video store, probably very little waiting, and no late fees. Oh, and they already tried the expensive syncing way and it didn't work.

As for streaming being a pipe dream... I'd say that it's both the future and inevitable at this point. Not saying I'm going to buy this, but I'm thinking about it. Let's see what Google does.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Why bother with a streaming device? It's cheaper for one. To put basically a Blockbuster video store in everyone's house is a dream come true. No fighting traffic to get to the video store, probably very little waiting, and no late fees. Oh, and they already tried the expensive syncing way and it didn't work.

As for streaming being a pipe dream... I'd say that it's both the future and inevitable at this point. Not saying I'm going to buy this, but I'm thinking about it. Let's see what Google does.

I agree with you on the Blockbuster comment...plus the Netflix integration is a plus for many people...was something I was not expecting to come from Apple but good for them...fact is if Netflix will be able to stream to the TV then others will be able to as well...not to mention AirPlay being an open API I hope so that other apps can do the same streaming to the TV2...sounds like a win to me

and as for Streaming being a pipe dream...I stream everything to my TV's as it is now because I have 10 TB of iTunes content connected to my 2006 Mac Mini...works great with the Airport Extreme WiFI network I have at home...so I'm good...love it...streaming it great...syncing is a nightmare...bye bye sync...not going to miss you...peace out
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Load in the boxee instead of iOS for $99 and I think I would buy the apple TV. Not to say that it's a bad product, it's just Boxee hooks into netflix, hulu, picasa, last.fm, pandora, a bunch of other content. I see myself using those more then I do seeing myself renting movies from iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I've got a 1.5 Mbps connection. Usually it spits the data through at 1-1.2 Mbps. Netflix images come through with some pixelation. Sometimes the video stops and needs to buffer. Internet streaming isn't there at this speed. Youtube videos in small screen mode at 360 always hesitate on my computer these days. A year ago they played fine. I've got a clear cache and a fast processor so the problem isn't my computer. The next level up for me is 5 Mbps at $20 more per month.

I don't understand why anybody with cable TV and a DVR would want to buy an Apple TV. DVRs can be programmed to record your favorite shows for future viewing. Renting shows for 99 cents seems high to me compared to my local video store. I can walk one block from my house and get DVD movies for $1 per night. There is a Red Box DVD rental outlet in the store next door to the video store.

Without faster servers or faster internet speeds I don't think streaming is up to the task right now. Maybe in a couple of years when the white space airwaves in the USA are divided up for ultra fast wireless internet service a device like Apple TV could satisfy the masses.