2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    "4G" guys? Really?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

"4G" guys? Really?

The "G" stands for generation. In this instance it stands for the 4th generation iPod Touch.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Anyone know how they accomplished that edit of the two side by side vertical videos into that beautiful horizontal video? It's amazing to me that such a small .7 megapixel camera on the iPod Touch 4gen can favorably compare to the 5 megapixel iPhone 4's camera. I too like the wider albiet slightly but not too much darker shot the iPod Touch 4gen is capable of taking. Anyone know the file size of one hour of an iPod Touch video? Wonder if it's a lot smaller than the iPhone's or the same?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Anyone know how they accomplished that edit of the two side by side vertical videos into that beautiful horizontal video? It's amazing to me that such a small .7 megapixel camera on the iPod Touch 4gen can favorably compare to the 5 megapixel iPhone 4's camera. I too like the wider albiet slightly but not too much darker shot the iPod Touch 4gen is capable of taking. Anyone know the file size of one hour of an iPod Touch video? Wonder if it's a lot smaller than the iPhone's or the same?

The 720p video camera ? assuming it?s 960x720 (1.33:1) resolution ? is only 0.7 megapixels just like the still camera. The iPhone 4 has much better camera optics but its 720p video camera is only recording in 1280x720 (1.78:1) resolution, or 0.9 megapixels.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 720p video camera — assuming it’s 960x720 (1.33:1) resolution — is only 0.7 megapixels just like the still camera. The iPhone 4 has much better camera optics but its 720p video camera is only recording in 1280x720 (1.78:1) resolution, or 0.9 megapixels.

So you think the new iPod Touch doesn't shoot standard 1280x720p HD? I find that a shocking presumption that claims Apple is not following the 720p HD standard. I believe you must be mistaken. Can I get a confirmation I am correct or wrong from someone else here please? I am saying I believe video from both devices is 1280x720p. Can I get an Amen? Or not?

Still would like to know how they got those 2 verticle videos into one horizontal video next to each other. Anyone know how that was done?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So you think the new iPod Touch doesn't shoot standard 1280x720p HD? I find that a shocking presumption that claims Apple is not following the 720p HD standard. I believe you must be mistaken. Can I get a confirmation I am correct or wrong from someone else here please? I am saying I believe video from both devices is 1280x720p. Can I get an Amen? Or not?

Still would like to know how they got those 2 verticle videos into one horizontal video next to each other. Anyone know how that was done?

I’m not claiming anything. I’m using the info provided to us about the still photo resolution, typically the highest resolution of the still and video camera combination, and the known number horizontal lines. What else can I say, I thought I made that clear with the word ‘assume’ in my post by going with the only known data sets.

And what about 720p or HD means, as set in stone, that the other axis has to be 1280 or that the aspect ratio has to be 1.78:1? While it’s expected in HDTVs I don’t think it’s a requirement.

Here is what Apple says on their Spec Sheet…
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple

Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still photos (960 x 720) with back camera

So if the still photos are 960x720 and the HD video is 1280x720, why does the camera lose 320lines or 0.2 megapixel when taking a still photo but gains them back when essentially taking 30 photos per second?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

I?m not claiming anything. I?m using the info provided to us about the still photo resolution, typically the highest resolution of the still and video camera combination, and the known number horizontal lines. What else can I say, I thought I made that clear with the word ?assume? in my post by going with the only known data sets.

And what about 720p or HD means, as set in stone, that the other axis has to be 1280 or that the aspect ratio has to be 1.78:1? While it?s expected in HDTVs I don?t think it?s a requirement.

Here is what Apple says on their Spec Sheet?

So if the still photos are 960x720 and the HD video is 1280x720, why does the camera lose 320lines or 0.2 megapixel when taking a still photo but gains them back when essentially taking 30 photos per second?

Video recording uses a different way that gets more resolution than the still resolution. Perhaps an interpolation trick? In any event, the new iPod Touch sure shoots good looking 720p HD video with perhaps one of the smallest pixel count cameras for that class of video ever used. Pretty amazing.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Video recording uses a different way that gets more resolution than the still resolution. Perhaps an interpolation trick? In any event, the new iPod Touch sure shoots good looking 720p HD video with perhaps one of the smallest pixel count cameras for that class of video ever used. Pretty amazing.

Gotcha. The way this tech works is well beyond my ken, but I can do the math, which is why I qualified my statement the way I did.

Heck, I still don?t even know a round lens can produce a rectangular image with no distortion. Seriously, i have absolutely no idea.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kopuschen View Post

Couple statements in this article are not correct

- Apple adopted IPS panel starting with the first aluminum 24inch iMac. Apple didn't market IPS until they unveiled the current generation of iMac. In their current lineup, iMac/iPad/iPhone uses IPS.

- The video difference between iPhone and iPod Touch is not much. you don't say "dark contrast". While video is a little darker in iPod Touch, I actually think it has a HIGHER contrast. Video from iPhone looks washed out.

I would like to have IPS on touch but I guess it's a cost cutting thing. I hope the color accuracy would be good (as demonstrated in current Macbook Pros, Apple can do great color even without IPS).

I'm pretty sure Apple used IPS in their aluminum Cinema Displays. Correct me if I'm wrong here...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

No, i?m not wrong, unless you?re claiming that I did think that Apple used IPS displays on previous consumer devices and lying about it.

After some research I found a review to back up your claim that Apple used IPS in earlier ACDs. Next time, you might want to try to be more productive with your posts instead of getting defensive and destroying any chance for a civil conservation or debate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

Yes, you were wrong to think that any Mac desktop, notebook or iDevices didn't have them until this last group of releases because they did.

The ACD in that anadtech review isn't the ADC model, it's the next version.

As for "getting defensive and destroying any chance for a civil conservation or debate", well, serious case of pot calling the kettle black.

After reading these 2 posts (and a couple more back up there), I felt COMPELLED to support Londor on this one.

Solipsism, you are obviously WAY more experienced on these boards than I, and perhaps with Apple, but let me say that your "arguments" in this thread are ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! Even if you say you THINK something, that doesn't make you not wrong! Further, you go on to what I feel is a clearly attacking tone at Londor for not making a more productive post!? Londor did not say anything that felt personally attacking prior to this, and I'm totally with him on his Kettle comment - your statement is hypocritical. And as far as I know, there is no rule that I know of that your posts have to have a certain amount of credibility or productiveness to them. Then again, there is also no rule against making absolutely ridiculous statements

I'm not trying to start a war here, just pointing this out. Props to Londor for handling this beautifully and with class!
  • Reply 31 of 32
    i concerned about new touch always...

but...

How is an ipod touch different from an iphone, other than it being a phone also?

o
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marylucyking View Post

i concerned about new touch always...

but...

How is an ipod touch different from an iphone, other than it being a phone also?

o

This has been answered a million times.

Advantages of the iPhone 4 over the iPod Touch 4 (besides phone functions):
    • IPS screen vs. TFT screen - This will make the iPhone 4's screen much more vibrant and color accurate from any angle except straight on.

• GPS - The iPod Touch will still work with location-aware applications, but the accuracy, location update speed and location availability are severely limited in comparison.

• Compass - Applications that require the iPhone's compass will not work with the iPod Touch, and applications that have an added benefit from the compass will not have that benefit with the iPod Touch. Example: Star Walk

• Rear- facng Still Camera - The iPhone 4 has a good 5MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and the iPod Touch has an 0.7MP rear-facing camera with no flash.

• Camera Flash - Aside from being for use when taking photos or video, the iPhone's camera flash is used for certain apps like flashlight apps. Although arguably useless, these apps obviously will not work with the iPod Touch.

• HDR - The HDR photography function only works with the iPhone's higher res camera and is not available on the iPod Touch.

• Louder speaker - Although the built-in speaker of the new iPod Touch is reported to be louder than the previous model, the iPhone's speaker is still quite a bit louder.

• Glass back - The glass back of the iPhone 4 is much more scratch resistant than the stainless steel back of the iPod Touch.

• Mute button - The iPod Touch 4 has no mute/screen orientation lock button.

• Proximity sensor - The iPod Touch has no proximity sensor. This shouldn't be needed for other applications besides making phone calls, but theoretically, it could be used in other ways, though Apple has not authorized such use.

• Oleophobic coating - The iPod Touch has no oil-resistant coating on the glass. Keep a microfiber wipe handy.

• Case and accessory options - A far wider variety of cases and accessories is offered for the iPhone 4, even more so than the small difference in units sold would have one expect.

• Find my iPhone - The Find My iPhone service of Mobile Me is only available for the iPhone. If you lose your iPhone, you still have this slight added chance of recovery. If you lose your iPod Touch, you're pretty much SOL.

• The unknown factor - Strangely, there are some very few apps that work for the iPhone and don't work for the iPod Touch, with no explanation whatsoever as to why. Of course no major apps would have this problem, as developers want apps to work on as many devices as possible.

Advantages of the iPod Touch 4 over the iPhone 4:
    • Smaller - The iPod Touch 4 is much thinner than even the already thin iPhone 4. It is also much lighter. The screen size is the same.

• No contract - The iPod Touch will not cost you any additional monthly cell or data fees, locked to a single carrier (in the US). If you want cellular data, you have a much wider choice of providers who offer Mi-Fi like devices and connectivity for a lower price than iPhone data plans.

• No interruptions - Games, browsing and productivity apps will not be interrupted by a phone call if you're using an iPod Touch.

• Much cheaper - The TCO of the iPod Touch, even when comparing subsidised cost and the difference between cellular plans, can be hundreds less than an iPhone.

• Higher capacity - The iPod Touch comes in a 64GB capacity model for half the price of the 32GB iPhone 4. There is no 64GB iPhone 4 offered.

Ambiguous differences between the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4:
    • Battery life - The iPhone has a much larger battery, which should mean more battery life. However, the cellular hardware negates this advantage. If you're using your iPhone as a phone, you will have lower time between recharges than the iPod Touch, depending on your usage habits.

• RAM - The iPhone has 512MB of RAM and the iPod Touch only has 256MB. Most apps wont show any difference, and the iPod Touch has lower general RAM requirements due to lack of the constantly running mobile phone elements of the OS. Startup time may also be longer on the iPhone 4 due to the increased amount of RAM. However, theoretically, apps could require the higher amount of RAM to run (though I'm not aware of any) and performance could differ when running lots of multitasking capable apps concurrently.

• Rear Camera Video Performance - Both devices produce the same 720p video files. However, the hardware is different. Some people actually prefer video taken with the iPod Touch, though theoretically, the video from the iPhone should be better.

• Microphone - The microphone hardware is different between the iPhone and the iPod Touch. However, in real-world use, such as for FaceTime chatting, most people didn't notice much difference in performance.

No difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4:
    • CPU - All observation shows that other than with regard to RAM, the CPU is the same A4 processor, at the same speed.

• Front-facing camera - The front-facing video and still camera on both devices is the same.

• Facetime - Facetime video chats work equally well between both devices.

• Screen size and resolution - The screen is the same size and has the same incredible 960x640 pixel resolution.

• Other screen details - Other than the IPS/LCD difference, the screen of the iPod Touch has the same LED backlighting and glass welding process that combine to make the iPhone 4 so amazing.