Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Friday made its 27-inch LED Cinema Display, packing a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 178-degree viewing angle, available for sale in its online store for $999.

First announced in late July, the 27-inch flat panel screen was set to ship in September. Now available for purchase, the Apple LED Cinema Display is set to ship for buyers in one to two weeks.

In addition to LED backlighting for instant-on brightness, the new 27-inch display features a universal MagSafe connector that charges a user's notebook. It also packs a Mini DisplayPort cable for connectivity, and three USB 2.0 ports.

Apple's latest LED panel includes an iSight camera, microphone, and 49-watt speaker system. Made of aluminum and glass, it is compatible with Apple's line of Mac desktop computers that have a Min DisplayPort, including the Mac Pro, Mac mini and iMac.

The new LED Cinema Display now also includes a new ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions and uses only as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.

It also takes advantage of in-plane switching (IPS) technology to allow the accurate display of colors across a wide 178-degree viewing angle. The 16:9 edge-to-edge glass display sits on an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge.

AppleInsider was first to report on Apple's plans to introduce the 27-inch Cinema Display back in March. Earlier this week, Apple made adjustments to its online store that implied the new flat panel display was prepared to ship soon.

The previous-generation 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Display models will be available only as supplies last, making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    1st biatches...booyakasha.

Definitely going to the apple store to take a look at them. I have seen the Samsung LED TVs which I think look spectacular so curious how the apple LED displays look.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPdiddy View Post

We... don't do that here. We're not children.

Quote:

Definitely going to the apple store to take a look at them. I have seen the Samsung LED TVs which I think look spectacular so curious how the apple LED displays look.

Likely the same as the 27" iMac and the 24" LED Cinema Display, if you've ever seen either of those.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:

1st biatches...booyakasha

*sigh*

Quote:

making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.

Does it replace the still-newish but smaller LED cinema display then?

On another note, how long is apple going to wait before they update iChat to FaceTime for Mac? Would be good marketing for this with a mini/pro and the iMacs/MacBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    I wonder if it's USB ports can supply a full charge to the iPad?

Does anyone make an anti-glare film for this?
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

*how long is apple going to wait before they update iChat to FaceTime for Mac? Would be good marketing for this with a mini/pro and the iMacs/MacBooks.

My marketing spidey-sense says:

1st: iPhone Only -- If you want FaceTime you have to buy an iPhone.

2nd: iPod touch -- If the iPhone didn't get you, if you want FaceTime you have to buy an iPod.

3rd: iPad II -- If iPhone/iPad didn't get you, if you want FaceTime you have to buy an(other) iPad.

4th: Mac -- If you want FaceTime on your computer, you have to buy a Mac.

5th: PC -- Okay, holdouts. Here's FaceTime for you, too. (By then you may be asked to subscribe to the cloud to get the full Mac treatment of FaceTime, along with the Cloud apps that are surely coming with Clouded Leopard and NC Server Farm.)
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Does it replace the still-newish but smaller LED cinema display then?

Yep, the 24" and the 30" are both officially discontinued. They're not available for purchase in the Store anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    I thought this would be a great TV replacement (for me) in the livingroom. Just put the 27" there and connect and ATV. Stream all films there, watch series, fotos, etc. - just how do I connect the ATV to it? No HDMI in ... don't understand this.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Bloody hell, £899 for us brits for the many Americans on the forum that's only $1407 (Inc Tax/Vat). I know Apple put's a mark up on it's overseas operation but this is wrong!

Just decided to edit this comment, now that I have calmed down.... a bit. I had expected a mark up, if they had charged us £799 representing a $80 mark up I'd have understood, petrol costs more and I don't know maybe it's further for the boat from China to reach the UK rather than the US (insert sarcasm here).

I've waited months for this display to go with my MacBook Pro, I'm a loyal Apple consumer. I just hate the way Apple makes anyone outside of the US bend over and take it like a bitch with regards to their pricing. :-(
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Only Apple could get away with charging a thousand bucks for a monitor and not even give you a matte option. Maybe it is made in the USA?

Spend the extra seven hundred and get an iMac. Then use it in a pitch dark room.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We... don't do that here. We're not children.

Apparently you haven't been reading many threads here in the past year.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Only Apple could get away with charging a thousand bucks for a monitor and not even give you a matte option. Maybe it is made in the USA?

Spend the extra seven hundred and get an iMac. Then use it in a pitch dark room.

So spend nearly double and get a computer? What a bizarre piece of logic.

Why would you use it in a pitch dark room? I'm sat typing this on a 27" iMac - no glare, no reflection. No need for a matte option. I used to hate my matte apple displays - they just 'whited out' in direct sunlight. Not so the glass option i now use.

Calibrating this was easy as hell and the colours much truer and richer than they ever appeared on my previous matte (apple) displays.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

That must be really embarrassing for you in retrospect, huh?
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Bloody hell, £899 for us brits for the many Americans on the forum that's only $1407 (Inc Tax/Vat). I know Apple put's a mark up on it's overseas operation but this is wrong!

Just decided to edit this comment, now that I have calmed down.... a bit. I had expected a mark up, if they had charged us £799 representing a $80 mark up I'd have understood, petrol costs more and I don't know maybe it's further for the boat from China to reach the UK rather than the US (insert sarcasm here).

I've waited months for this display to go with my MacBook Pro, I'm a loyal Apple consumer. I just hate the way Apple makes anyone outside of the US bend over and take it like a bitch with regards to their pricing. :-(

That's simply not true. Add VAT, use the commercial (not consumer) exchange rate and allow 5 - 10% import duty and the price difference is negligible.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I thought this would be a great TV replacement (for me) in the livingroom. Just put the 27" there and connect and ATV. Stream all films there, watch series, fotos, etc. - just how do I connect the ATV to it? No HDMI in ... don't understand this.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable?
  • Reply 15 of 68
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I just hate the way Apple makes anyone outside of the US bend over and take it like a bitch with regards to their pricing. :-(

What world do you come from
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable?

Is this an Apple-like option? Putting another cable between the Apple screen and Apple TV?

Otherwise - yes, that's an option. But not a consumer and 'pushing the ATV' option. And not an option I find attractive.
  • Reply 17 of 68

No glare. I don't understand those who assume a glossy screen is worse for viewing than a matte screen. Direct sunlight on either poses problems - white out your matt screen, turn the gloss screen into a mirror when looking at darker images. and NO the images have not been doctored or edited in any way.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Is this an Apple-like option? Putting another cable between the Apple screen and Apple TV?

Otherwise - yes, that's an option. But not a consumer and 'pushing the ATV' option. And not an option I find attractive.

The apple TV is designed to accompany your home screen, that's where it's being pushed. Why watch apple tv on a thousand dollar 27" inch screen when you can watch it on the 40" $500 screen you already own? And yes, this is very apple like - RGB/Component/DVI cable adapters have often been provided, i remember an old iMac coming with a display port to RGB adapter...
  • Reply 19 of 68
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I wonder if it's USB ports can supply a full charge to the iPad?

Does anyone make an anti-glare film for this?

Do you realize that there is a difference between glare and reflection?

In either case, decreasing or eliminating either is a matter of adjusting the physical position/angle of the light source, brightness levels and/screen or the person sitting in front of it. Notice that most studio work is done in 'darker' rooms, and if anything, monitors are place facing away from windows or the main light come from behind them.

Interesting that so many professional studios, are using the 'glossy' iMac, MacBooks and Apple LED Cinema Displays. This is especially evident on Apple's Mac in Action Profiles.

In any event, overlaying an anti-glare/matte film, which are readily available is an easy option. Its main advantage it that it is reversible, i.e., it can be removed, thus enjoying the richer colors and deeper blacks that glossy screens deliver.

What is quite evident is that most people have never really seen the backlit LED LCDs in action. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't display theirs in 'special' viewing rooms as does SONY, BestBuy, Future Shop, high end audio/video stores, etc.

And if glare and reflection were so onerous, pity the new car salesman having to work in such an environment.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So spend nearly double and get a computer? What a bizarre piece of logic.

Your spell check is turned off. You meant to say "brilliant piece of logic." And thank you for the compliment.