Adobe releases beta of 64-bit Flash for Mac OS X, Windows

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A preview release of a 64-bit version of Flash Player 10 is now available from Adobe.

Codenamed "Square," the release enables "native 64-bit support on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows." Since it is a preview, users should "use caution" when installing on production machines, as there may be stability issues with the release.

According to the release notes, the preview's known issues include problems with video playback on Hulu.com, Audi.co.uk and nbc.com. Users who install the update will need to manually install future updates to "Square" and eventually uninstall "Square" before installing a "final shipping version" of Flash Player.

In addition to 64-bit support, the release also adds support for hardware accelerated rendering in Internet Explorer 9 Beta. With the update, graphics performance in Internet Explorer 9 Beta improves as much as 35 percent. Hardware acceleration for Flash Player 10.1 for Mac was added in August.

The relationship between Apple and Adobe has been tumultuous as of late. At a company meeting, Apple CEO Steve Jobs allegedly called the company "lazy," blaming Adobe Flash as the cause of most crashes on Macs.

"They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it," Jobs was paraphrased as saying.

Adobe announced last week that it would resume development of its Flash to iPhone porting tool now that Apple has relaxed restrictions banning third-party development tools for the iOS platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ive been using it but i do not really see much improvement in cpu usage...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    But will it overheat and crash my mac?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Adobe beta scares me...the released version of Flash crashes I couldn't imagine a beta version
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Adobe beta scares me...the released version of Flash crashes I couldn't imagine a beta version

I've used it all day and no crashes or issues so far. Installed it both on my MBP and my iMac. Watched Hulu for a couple of hours this evening. No issues and the cpu wasn't stressed at all, no fans spinning up.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Will this make Poptropica even faster for my daughters?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it," Jobs was paraphrased as saying.

Wow, great reporting. Should we read "paraphrased" as meaning AI was too lazy to actually find the quote, or should we read it as "misquoted to forward AI's viewpoint"?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

yep, same here - many crashes of the final version. I am not going to install beta when final version is already so shi..y.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

I've used it all day and no crashes or issues so far. Installed it both on my MBP and my iMac. Watched Hulu for a couple of hours this evening. No issues and the cpu wasn't stressed at all, no fans spinning up.

It is truly a blessing that a company like Adobe would make software for such a small user base.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow, great reporting. Should we read "paraphrased" as meaning AI was too lazy to actually find the quote, or should we read it as "misquoted to forward AI's viewpoint"?

There is no transcript. Only reports.

But identifying the source would have been the way for AI to go, rather than than using the passive voice, like the paraphrase is just floating out there somewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

It is truly a blessing that a company like Adobe would make software for such a small user base.

Adobe knows what is best. The best way to appease Apple is to do right by the Apple. Adobe wants Flash on the iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, well they better get to work on Flash for the Mac first. I've tried the 64 bit version, & it's truly buggy.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since it is a preview, users should "use caution" when installing on production machines, as there may be stability issues with the release.

So basically no change from the normal Flash version.

ClickToFlash FTW!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Can you have 64 bit and 32 bit version side by side? Or perhaps universal binary plugin, so if you say have 64 bit browser and 32 bit browser they both can load the plugin and "just work" TM?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Jobs is right Flash does mess up a lot of the times especially when I view MSNBC. Leave well enough alone.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I think we should take this as a positive development. Does anyone know if Adobe will be releasing a 64 bit version of Reader anytime soon? Before anyone asks "Who needs Reader?" the answer is "I do". There are embedded PDFs that Preview can't fully handle from a controls standpoint. Naturally, there's one that I use. The lack of 64 bit Flash and Reader is what has kept Safari in 32 bit mode for me.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Having used their software on both Windows and Mac, I find it difficult to see why anything made by Adobe would be considered a blessing.\
  • Reply 16 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    For years Abode dragged their feet with respect to the Mac version of Flash Player. Now we have GPU acceleration and 64-bit all in the space of a year.

I think Apple's refusal to install Flash on iDevices and even the growing popularity of Mac must be making them rededicate themselves. Which if they keep it up is good.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    It's actually preforming quite well on my system.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Interesting timing of this release...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Jobs is right Flash does mess up a lot of the times especially when I view MSNBC. Leave well enough alone.

The MSNBC video player does not mess up on my system with the 64-bit version of Flash. It simply refuses to run and asks me to download Flash 10.1. Flash 10.2beta does not merit a "nice try."
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Just out of curiosity, those having the problems did you download the Flash Uninstaller and run that first before installing the beta?

Update: I did and it sat at 98% CPU usage and 355MB of RAM. This update does nothing worthwhile. The good thing is that now I have a complete Flash Player uninstaller on my system. :-)