Morgan Stanley: Apple's iPad consuming 25% of PC notebook sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new model demonstrating the notebook sales trends over the past year shows a significant market-wide decline since the introduction of Apple's iPad.

Analyst Katy Huberty with Morgan Stanley revealed in a note to investors this week that her firm has assumed that the iPad has "cannibalized" 25 percent of PC notebook sales since its introduction in April. .....

Er.... Apple computer sales are increasing... This speaks really bad for non-Apple computers.

Quote:

Huberty now expects to see a total of 50 million tablets sold in calendar year 2011. That's up from her previous forecast of 37 percent.

ER.... and just how many of those 50 million will be iPads.???? :-)

Quote:

"We expect tablets to continue to pressure PCs as more vendors launch products (e.g. Dell Streak and Samsung Tab) and Apple expands its iPad distribution ....," she wrote.

Huberty of late has been bullish on AAPL stock, and expects it to potentially hit $400 in 2011, in a best-case scenario. SHe also sees Apple reaching 100 million active iPhone subscribers by the end of 2011.

Huberty has been down on Apple from the beginning. So why the turn around??? PS. there really is NO tablet market.... its an iPad market and the new Android machines all look and try to act like an iPad.... so, lets be fair here.... How many iPad and iPad clones will be sold in 2011??? :-)

Last thing, these anal--- ysts keep forgetting that its not Apple phone vs android, Apple mp3 vs others, Apple iPad vs tablets....etc........ its Apple environment (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and mp3, iMac, MacBook....... well, you get the idea.)

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But not if a computer is required in order to use the tablet. For those sorts of devices, the tablet cannot replace the computer, but is capable only of supplementing it.

Yes, even if a computer is "required" to use the tablet -- which, in the case of the iPad, it technically is not, only to activate it -- it's still an adequate notebook replacement.

Troll review:

* So, Newtron is most likely tekstud

* Blackintosh is likely MacTripper or iGenius

* DaHarder, new troll or recycled banned troll?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... and probably a good number of Apple MacBook sales as well!

Sales numbers obviously don't support that, so we can file it under more wishful thinking on your part.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:

... and probably a good number of Apple MacBook sales as well!

Apple's SEC filings do not corroborate your statement.

They are actually selling more computers than before. Every single year-over-year period shows significant increased Mac sales. Notebook sales surpassed those of Mac desktops many years ago. Year-over-year Mac sales sequential growth is tracking around 33%, meaning estimated Mac sales in Q4 of 4 million units.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...r_quarter.html
  • Reply 25 of 78
    I bought my Wife an MBP because I thought it would be more convenient than her iMac.

Still not convenient enough for her particular use... so I bought her an iPad. Perfect!!

So now I have the MBP... but again, for my particular needs (I already have my own iMac) I'd rather have an iPad.

It's easy for me to see the target market for the current iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This article, like the other one about Best Buy, is about notebook, not netbook sales.

His point is that cannibalized means eating into your OWN products. The article does not indicate that iPads are eating into MacBook sales. That could be the case, but its not stated.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Damn right now is like Apple just can't make these things fast enough. Takes them a few minutes to build one and less than a sec to sell it, not bad......
  • Reply 28 of 78
    I have a friend who bought a iPad for their parents. Apple got their iPad "started" somehow and the parents just use it at their home on WiFi only. They do not own a home computer at all.

So apparently it can be done that way.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    "Morgan Stanley: Apple's iPad consuming 25% of PC notebook sales"

I just realized, there's a certain similarity between PacMan and the Apple logo. Wonka-wonka-wonka GULP!
  • Reply 30 of 78
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I wish these analysts and bloggers would stop assigning new definitions to established words when a perfectly appropriate word is available. It's hard enough trying to communicate clearly without muddling up word meanings.

Aside from 'eaten into' the appropriate word is 'displaced'

I personally think the most fun gymnastics to watch concern the new found need to define 'computer'.

Is the iPad a 'computer'? Of course it is. Any definition that can encompass everything from a Univac to a laptop certainly can include an iPad. IOS devices have more computational power than all but the most recent generation of desktops and laptops.

Definitions that require that computers be 'self programmable' are BS. By that definition the original Mac wasn't a computer because software for it had to be originally written on a Lisa.

The contortions are fun to watch.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And I'd only get the iMac for photo and video processing (as a hobby). I'm guessing many people would consider an iPad sufficient to put off replacing a computer or decide to not make the switch to a laptop. Just keep their desktop and get an iPad for on-the-go email and web. Either choice would erode laptop sales.

A couple of days ago, for the first time I saw an iPad being used instead of a laptop at Uni. I think that if wireless printing works on most networks with most printers it could very well replace a laptop for those who are always on the go.

The most interesting case for iPad as a laptop replacement that I've heard was from a girl who said that it would eliminate the need for two bags. In other words iPad would fit into a larger-sized purse a lot easier and will not weigh it down nearly as much as a laptop, even a 13inch.

For me though macbook will remain my only workhorse. I carry it everywhere, and when I get home I hook it up with a large screen and turn it into a semi-dekstop for more comfortable work environment. It's not as fast, but iMacs have had a string of laptop components until recently anyway so I did not feel much a drop in performance.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

I have a friend who bought a iPad for their parents. Apple got their iPad "started" somehow and the parents just use it at their home on WiFi only. They do not own a home computer at all.

All you have to do is connect it to iTunes for activation, which can be done at an Apple store or on any computer with iTunes installed.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s an interesting PoV and one that I agree with now that you mention it. I think you could definitely make an argument that the ?PC? growth rate to drop for the last few years was more a result of an upsurge in modern smartphone sales than from the downturn of the economy.

The iPad, in many ways, is just a more capable version of the iPhone and Touch many enjoy using while watching TV on the couch. I would think that the iPad would have a considerably more profound impact on ?PC? sales because of it?s closer association to ?PC?s than smartphones, and the fact that smartphones are often had a much cheaper upfront cost due to subsidization.

We live in a want it or need it now world and our smartphones and the iPad and tablets like it in the future will simply feed into that even more.

Even in my own house my wife and my daughter never get on the home computers unless they have work or school related tasks to perform. Even for my daughter when she is doing homework (she is a freshman in high school) her iPhone is always by her side and she is always using it to do her research. I have offered at least ten times to buy her an iPad but she would rather just user her iPhone.

When she has friends over its four or five girls laying around or sleeping with four of five smartphones around them...lol.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

It can be. Apple can activate it at the store. I don't find it to be the best option but it can be done. I find it to be a much better option to have a system to help manage and back up your iPad.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I wish these analysts and bloggers would stop assigning new definitions to established words when a perfectly appropriate word is available. It's hard enough trying to communicate clearly without muddling up word meanings.

Aside from 'eaten into' the appropriate word is 'displaced'

Good luck with your plea for clarity and the correct use of language. Edwin Newman is dead; long live Edwin Newman.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple's SEC filings do not corroborate your statement.

They are actually selling more computers than before. Every single year-over-year period shows significant increased Mac sales. Notebook sales surpassed those of Mac desktops many years ago. Year-over-year Mac sales sequential growth is tracking around 33%, meaning estimated Mac sales in Q4 of 4 million units.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...r_quarter.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sales numbers obviously don't support that, so we can file it under more wishful thinking on your part.

You (both) clearly must have missed the part wherein I specifically pointed to MacBook sales... as in Apple's entry-level notebook, NOT the entire line of Macintosh computers.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

Apple will configure an iDevice at the Genius Bar if you do not have a computer.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

You clearly must have missed the part wherein I specifically pointed to MacBook sales... as in Apple's entry-level notebook, NOT the entire line of Macintosh computers.

Unless there is a radical shift in the sales mix, it is safe to assume that each product generally increases.

And if there was a radical drop in MacBook sales, third-party market researchers would pick up on it (or we'd hear about it from the supply chain). Since we have not heard anything, it is logical to assume that the MacBook sales are increasing like the other Macs.

Note that the analysis I linked to pointed out a slight quarterly shift to lower-priced models, so ASP was targeted slightly lower. That means MacBooks.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:

You (both) clearly must have missed the part wherein I specifically pointed to MacBook sales... as in Apple's entry-level notebook, NOT the entire line of Macintosh computers.

Macbook sales [entry level laptop for Apple] continues to expand quarter, over quarter, for the past 5 years.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Since I recharged my Ipad into a wall plug-in my Ipad was not sync for more than a month now. I can still update apps or buy new ones. So its works without a Pc no problem.