Morgan Stanley: Apple's iPad consuming 25% of PC notebook sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You (both) clearly must have missed the part wherein I specifically pointed to MacBook sales... as in Apple's entry-level notebook, NOT the entire line of Macintosh computers.

Nice try, but you should have checked your facts first. Now you just look desperate not to be wrong, which you are, again.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Will be interesting to see the next quarter macbook and MCP sales numbers. I am kind of expecting at least macbook to be hurt by the ipad. But it may get blurr by the fact Apple Mac's are eating up the PC market share.

In fact, if you include the ipad in the laptop market share, you will get pretty interesting numbers. But analysts will probably make tablets a category by itself.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Possibly, but for the first time in many years I'm considering a desktop as my next computer. I've been choosing a laptop as a compromise between power and portability; but if the iPad can do 95%of what I need the portability for, then I could get a much more powerful iMac for the same price as a MBP.

And I'd only get the iMac for photo and video processing (as a hobby). I'm guessing many people would consider an iPad sufficient to put off replacing a computer or decide to not make the switch to a laptop. Just keep their desktop and get an iPad for on-the-go email and web. Either choice would erode laptop sales.

i am so in agreement. toting the 17" mbp around no more! not going over 3 pounds lol. would love an Air so waiting to see what they do. the ipad is nice but i need a little bit more flexibility right now. the ipad will get there probably next year though.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    This is no surprise to me! For years I been wondering why people would prefer to replace there desktop which clearly more powerful, more bang for the buck, and much more real-estate than laptops. But I guess it's because people wanted portable computing if if only for surfing the web or checking email. So in that case the notebook was the clear choice. But now with iPhones, iPod touches and now The iPad. Mobile computing has evolved quite nicely. Now we can have the best of both worlds. For example I do photography on the side of my real job and when I go on a photo shoot I take the iPad and right there I can show my clients the photos on the iPad. They love it. I can also check email, web surf, facebook, twitter, etc. And of course I can also do this from my iPhone too. The iPhone and iPad can carry any data I have synced to it or can retrieve any data I have stored in the cloud. It can play games, my kids can watch movies on a long trip, the list just goes on. There is not much this first generation product CAN NOT do other than somethings that need heavy computing power which I would much rather do on my 27"iMac in the comfort of my own home.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    I wonder how many guys/gals here re-read NOTEBOOKs to confirm they are reading it right.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    You're right, though I do think Apple needs to work on content management for their devices to remove the other reasons for connecting to a computer. I know you can buy and download songs on the device, but many prefer to maintain their much larger libraries and play lists on a computer. Why can't I sync those wirelessly to the device either from a computer, or perhaps from the cloud? I need to look up the transfer rates of USB vs. WiFi N. Maybe those things are coming, but to get these kinds of features today (plus backup of the device), you still need a computer to connect to.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VdkaShaker View Post

You're right, though I do think Apple needs to work on content management for their devices to remove the other reasons for connecting to a computer. I know you can buy and download songs on the device, but many prefer to maintain their much larger libraries and play lists on a computer. Why can't I sync those wirelessly to the device either from a computer, or perhaps from the cloud? I need to look up the transfer rates of USB vs. WiFi N. Maybe those things are coming, but to get these kinds of features today (plus backup of the device), you still need a computer to connect to.

Probably because transferring many gigs of media over Bluetooth or WiFi would be a painful experience. I'm not sure why wireless connections to other devices are seen to be less dependent than wired connections.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Somewhere, Steve Ballmer is quaking in his shiny leather shoes. Because a decline in notebook sales has a negative impact on demand for preinstalled Windows 7. Perhaps this explains the move to load Windows 7 on a tablet.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    I finally found a reason to get an ipad:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/17/c...much-for-half/

When I move into my new house, I'm going to hook this up to the home theater, and set it on the lamp table next to the couch. It'll be sweeeeet
  • Reply 50 of 78
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think, for the most part, people don't usually make purchasing decisions of computing devices on whether a particular device can do almost everything they need.

Notebooks are great for college students who often go to various places to study and likely have limited desk space where they live, be it dorm of sharing an apartment.

Desktops are perfect for workplace and home offices because they are more ergonomic and easier on the eyes, as well as offer better performance.

iPads are great for couch computing and sales presentations.

If you need portability and compact size, a desktop won't fit the bill. If you need a large monitor and maximum power, a notebook won't do. And if you need a complete filesystem based computer, an iPad can't cut it.

I personally wouldn't choose one over the other based on the overlap in features. They all email, they all surf the web. It is the things that they don't have in common that should be the differentiators in the purchasing decision.

The "almost" in my case is that an iPad would not let me edit my photos on the road. But I could easily trade that off in exchange for having a much more powerful computer at home. Most people aren't editing 18 megapixel photos like I am, and so an iPad could meet ALL of their mobile needs.

The point is that you no longer need to pick one device and make compromises is doing so. I've puchased MBPs as my compromise between needing to be mobile for "some" things and needing power for other things. In the past, buying two Apple products, one desktop and one laptop, was an expensive proposition (I'm ignoring the Mac mini which is nothing more than an immobile laptop). But now you can get two devices for a reasonable price. You can get an iMac which is more powerful than a MBP plus an iPad for less than the cost of the MBP alone. So why buy a laptop if the only mobile functions you need are covered by an lighter, smaller, cheaper device that leaves enough money in your bank account to buy a more powerful desktop machine.

[And as a bonus, if Apple made it so I could use Back To My Mac from an iPad to access that more powerful desktop machine from anywhere in the world, you've now got a very powerful computer in your hands.]
  • Reply 51 of 78
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Probably because transferring many gigs of media over Bluetooth or WiFi would be a painful experience. I'm not sure why wireless connections to other devices are seen to be less dependent than wired connections.

Meh. I routinely have multi-GB TimeMachine backups done over my wireless nework. Most of the time don't even notice it. And really, other than your first sync, how often are you moving that much data?
  • Reply 52 of 78
    As someone pointed out "it is displacing" the laptop market.

The article makes it sound like it is reducing sales -- which is hard to say.

But since the average laptop is around $600 and so is the iPad -- it is merely a new option. The REVENUE from the channel is not necessarily shrinking.

They need to question buyers to see if they bought an iPad INSTEAD of a laptop -- I have a feeling that MOST people buying the iPad are higher-end buyers who like the convenience of the iPad. So the laptop market is DOWN due to the economy, and iPad is GROWING the market for people with more disposable cash.

I like the iPad -- and for low-end users like grandparents, it's probably a better fit than a laptop. But IMO, it is growing the market in a new segment -- it is NOT a replacement for a full featured laptop.

I also figure schools and hospitals are using getting these devices where they work better than a full-blown laptop.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Meh. I routinely have multi-GB TimeMachine backups done over my wireless nework. Most of the time don't even notice it. And really, other than your first sync, how often are you moving that much data?

Did you ever notice how fast Time Machine works? It's set to trickle. A incremental backup of a few hundred megabytes can take 15 minutes, easily. It's done that way so the process doesn't saturate your WiFi connection, and that works since you really don't care when it's done. That's also the reason why you hardly notice. Do you remember how long it took for your first Time Machine backup? Several hours, I'm sure. Most of the day perhaps. I don't think that sort of performance would work for shifting media files to an iPad, and the alternative is hogging limited bandwidth.

Anyhow, that's my theory about why Apple hasn't implemented a wireless sync feature for the iPad et al. Maybe you have another?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can understand that people might opt for an iPad to complement a desktop over a laptop/netbook but people aren't walking into stores with the intention of buying a laptop and walking out with an iPad. Most laptop buyers don't buy them as accessories to desktops but as desktop replacements and you need either a laptop or desktop to even use an iPad. I would suggest the laptop market is starting to hit saturation given that they've been outselling desktops by 4:1 for a while now. Also, bear in mind this graph shows growth not sales so the number of laptops sold might still be going up, it's just decelerating.

you just need access to a computer for activation/backup/software updates. You don't need to actually have a computer yourself. As long as there's at least one computer in your household/business, an iPad certainly can be used in place of a notebook computer for a given person/task, especially once iOS4.2 is released and you can print from them.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    The way I see it. The graph will continue going the same direction until all the other iPad competitors come out.

Just in the same way as iPhone users held up from buying the old phone, (they already new pretty much what was coming up a few weeks earlier.)

The same thing is happening with the Netbooks or Notebooks that would be selling now. Why buy?

Any smart buyer would wait to see what the new Wannabees have to offer.

I get a feeling that everything they can get now will be available at a better price or package.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Nice try, but you should have checked your facts first. Now you just look desperate not to be wrong, which you are, again.

And YOU (as usual) just look like another fanatical _ _ _ _ _ twisting what was actually posted to suit your own misguided desires to be correct...
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

the parents just use it at their home on WiFi only. They do not own a home computer at all.

How did they configure their router?
  • Reply 58 of 78
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Dude... Don't ask - because you (likely) already know the answer \
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Any decent isp will do that for you.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    The iPad can certainly be used stand alone, once it's been configured with iTunes. I was going to do that for a colleague.

The biggest problem with that is if I configured it, it's linked to my laptop. She can't eventually buy a desktop and sync her iPad setup to her new computer. It would delete her music purchases and app purchases. Still, if she was willing to manage it only from the iPad (and never import a CD, for example) it would work well enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

"it is displacing" the laptop market.

Those stats can be misleading though.

For example, November before last was when the global financial crisis hit (right?), so it can be expected that suddenly people held off laptop purchases - with 2 consequences.

1) with such low sales, one year later it'd show a huge growth in sales.

2) many of those people who held off would have bought their laptops 6 months later, also showing a steeper growth than normal.

I do believe iPad is displacing some of the laptop market, just these stats aren't quite so significant.

I'd like to see an aggregate sales figures, include tablets with laptops