Apple now selling refurbished iPads starting at $449

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple, for the first time since the iPad went on sale, is now offering the hardware refurbished with a $50 discount from its online store, as availability of the product continues to improve.

Currently, just refurbished Wi-Fi-only iPad models are available, though all capacities can be purchased, with a shipping time of between one and three days. The 16GB model sells for $449, the 32GB offering is $549, and the highest capacity 64GB device is $649.

Like other refurbished sales, the iPads come with Apple's one-year limited warranty, and the AppleCare Protection Plan is also available for purchase. The site also notes that supplies are limited.

Since the iPad launched in April, Apple has not offered the touchscreen tablet for sale in a refurbished capacity. Orders of new models, for months, had wait times of days and weeks, while many retail stores were completely sold out for months.

But in late August, shipping times for new orders improved to 24 hours. Since then, Best Buy has revealed it will expand sales of the iPad to all of its U.S. stores by Sept. 26, while other retailers, like Target, are rumored to also carry the device in the near future.

However, 3G-capable refurbished iPads are not yet available for purchase via Apple's online store. All three models are listed as out of stock, and will also sell for $50, starting at $579 for the 16GB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    I'm not really sure that this has any bearing on whether, "Apple is now producing enough iPads to meet demand". It's not like they could have been selling these as "new" before. It sounds more like it just took them a while to start doing this. I just don't see what logic leads to the conclusion that this has anything to do with production and demand levels.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm not really sure that this has any bearing on whether, "Apple is now producing enough iPads to meet demand". It's not like they could have been selling these as "new" before. It sounds more like it just took them a while to start doing this. I just don't see what logic leads to the conclusion that this has anything to do with production and demand levels.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Yeah, usually refurbished models just take time to build up enough returns to make it worthwhile to offer them for sale. What is the legality of selling a return item as new, vs refurbished, and what is the exact definition of refurbished (is it industry specific, or is it governed by law?).
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:

Was just going to write the same. This might also be a good indication of quality, since there were probably not enough returns to justify getting started. I had an apple appt. today for the iPhone, he indicated that the replacement rates for the iPhone 4 are extremely low at our store.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... However, 3G-capable refurbished iPads are not yet available for purchase via Apple's online store. All three models are listed as out of stock, and will also sell for $50

Hope they have lifted the 2 / lifetime restriction, $50 isn't bad, still not sure if it is worth it without USB and HDMI...
  • Reply 6 of 49
    it would have been nice to see a bigger cut but $50 is pretty good still
  • Reply 7 of 49
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Must be all gone. Can't find it in the store.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    I wonder if they are those Apple Store floor model iPads that have been molested by thousands of people? When the iPad first came out, I remember going to the Apple Store and I wanted to try them out and they were pretty disgusting covered in sweaty fingerprints. It would make anyone go all Howard Hughes afterwards. I don't know if that is worth a $50 discount to me. Kidding aside, I am still waiting for the 2.0 next year.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Must be all gone. Can't find it in the store.

It took a little searching, but here is the link. The 3Gs aren't even listed though.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NTA5MjM
  • Reply 10 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabay79 View Post

I wonder if they are those Apple Store floor model iPads that have been molested by thousands of people? When the iPad first came out, I remember going to the Apple Store and I wanted to try them out and they were pretty disgusting covered in sweaty fingerprints. It would make anyone go all Howard Hughes afterwards. I don't know if that is worth a $50 discount to me. Kidding aside, I am still waiting for the 2.0 next year.

At least there is nothing to be 'worn' as such unlike a key board with moving parts and debris down the gaps. The glass surface cleans easily enough.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Wow, what a value.

These are probably the ipads that were returned by early adopters who found out there was no flash support.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Wow, what a value.

These are probably the ipads that were returned by early adopters who found out there was no flash support.

And yet you still post..
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:

I disagree, for I think you've swapped cause and effect. I think Apple withheld the refurbs an extra while to be sure they did not adversely affect new iPad sales. Now that iPads are no longer backordered, Apple could safely assume that everyone willing to pay a premium and wait for one now has one. Remaining sales will be the more casual buyer browsing in the store who won't be looking for a refurb. online but instead making an in-person impulse buy.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

And yet you still post..

Add him to ignore list and stop his rubbish even being seen by not replying
  • Reply 15 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Perhaps one of the reasons for low return rates is the limited availability of new iPads -- could it be more profitable to re-sell one than to return it for a refund?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utnvols1 View Post

Hope they have lifted the 2 / lifetime restriction, $50 isn't bad, still not sure if it is worth it without USB and HDMI...

HDMI? Seems a bit niche market to me...

~Callum
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Appearance of large number of refurb units (as opposed to a few that quickly disappear) is an indication of the beginning of inventory clearance for a model that is likely to be discontinued (i.e. replaced with a new model) in the near future...
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Appearance of large number of refurb units (as opposed to a few that quickly disappear) is an indicati of the beginning of inventory clearance for a model that is likely to be discontinued (i.e. replaced with a new model) in the near future...

My sentiments exactly. I always do wonder what else apple does with all their stockpiles of used floor stock from their stores once new product lines come out and they need to clear space.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Add him to ignore list and stop his rubbish even being seen by not replying

I don't think I've ever seen a bunch of people who are so afraid of another opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    It will take more than a $50 discount for me to buy refurbished.