Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Just curious what the average purchase price for a Kinect will be compared to that of the iPad. If they aren't even in the same ballpark then the tenuous connection between the two is even shakier than I thought.

Are we talking Toyotas to BMWs here?

Edit: Joshong snuck in during composition.
  • Reply 22 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Just curious what the average purchase price for a Kinect will be compared to that of the iPad. If they aren't even in the same ballpark then the tenuous connection between the two is even shakier than I thought.

Are we talking Toyotas to BMWs here?

Edit: Joshong snuck in during composition.

Standalone kinect should be about $150. Xbox 360 and kinect about $299. Xbox 360 with hard-drive and kinect should be $399.

iPad average selling price was $640 last quarter.
  • Reply 23 of 158
    It really has become Apple against the world, hasn't it? Do you notice that you can't really find anything out on the web about the different Android phones/tablets against each other? It's all about them against the lone Apple iPhone or the iPad. The media makes it seem like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Dell, etc. along with Microsoft and Google are all allies fighting the one evil figure: Apple. It's a rather funny thing to observe when all these companies are, in reality, pummeling each other more than they're fighting Apple. Even Microsoft at its peak in the mid-to-late 90's didn't garner this kind of attention that Apple is getting.
  • Reply 24 of 158
    Procter & Gamble will sell more packages of Pringles than Apple will sell units of iPads.

Shocking.

Film at 11 or 10 or 9 depending upon your time zone and viewing habits.
  • Reply 25 of 158
    yes, and coca cola just announced they will sell more cans of cherry coke...nothing to see here
  • Reply 26 of 158
    People 'claim' a lot of things... Some come true, some don't.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Whoa, you're an idiot.

what he said.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    So 'Sells like the iPad' has become the new 'Selling like hotcakes'?

I have all three of this generation of consoles and I just can't get excited about Kinect. The Sony Move is likely what I'll get - I'm thinking an accurate pointing device may help with FPS accuracy and the analog widget for movement may really help achieve mouse-keyboard parity.

Now show me how Kinect could help with, say, racing games etc. and my excitement would go up. For instance, if Kinnect could track leaning for turning in a motorcycle racer, we might finally get something that closed in on a racing seat/force-feedback wheel setup for auto racing games. But will they go there?
  • Reply 29 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the comparison. If I say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't imply that I believe that it is in any way a substitute for sliced bread. Perhaps ham, maybe cheese. He's only acknowledging the strong initial sales, for Pete's sake.

I think the buffoon mentioned iPad because he knew it would get headlines since most headlines these days need a "keyword" in them to get attention. So, basically MS is riding the coattails of iPad's popularity.
  • Reply 30 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.

I am the lamb of God. The unbelievers must be cleansed.
  • Reply 31 of 158
    Maybe the Kinect will be as successful as the Kin.
  • Reply 32 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think the Camera interface will be the next big thing after the touch interface, and Apple missed an opportunity to put a user-facing camera on the new Apple TV.

Or maybe Apple are in fact on top of this, and the "big thing" in Mac OS X 10.7 will be to use the iMac's camera to support Minority Report style gestures?

Edit: how cool would Coverflow be if you could just sit back on the couch and flick through the albums with a flick of your hand?
  • Reply 33 of 158
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Lol, even though I hate texas (i joke just Bush), I gotta say that made me laugh. I think Xbox is doing much better then windows mobile devision, so I wouldn;t be surprised if for a month or so Kinnect would outsell the iPad. But that's comparing apples and oranges.
  • Reply 34 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

You have to wonder if they thought about renaming it after Kin failed so miserably.
  • Reply 35 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.

Cheeseburgers sells more than apples but imo apples are better for you. I am also pretty sure pepsi sells more cans than apple juice.
  • Reply 36 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the buffoon mentioned iPad...

Isn't that supposed to be "boffin?"
  • Reply 37 of 158
    Why, Microsoft? Why? You're supposed to be this big, powerful organization that's trying to take on the Apples and Googles of the world, yet you keep doing stuff like this and having that stupid funeral for the iPhone and Blackberry.

Get it together!
  • Reply 38 of 158
    More bottles of milk than ipads!

More hamburgers n fries than ipads!

More dog collars than ipads!

More global cars sold, too!

Wow!

Hey, Mr. Ballmer! How about a ms tablet, integrated with hardware, OS, SDKs, an app store full o apps-

selling more than ipads?

One single company selling more tablets than ipads?
  • Reply 39 of 158
    ... but MS just keeps on a'jumpin.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    I think this might be Microsoft's desperate strategy to associate themselves with something cool.

Placing your unrelated product in the same sentence with the iPad? Lame.