Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 158
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

So 'Sells like the iPad' has become the new 'Selling like hotcakes'?

Well, they're both kinda flat.
  • Reply 42 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Whoa, you're an idiot.

You talkin' to me??
  • Reply 43 of 158
    mention apple or iAnything and get some free press. if you're going to aggregate "apple" stories please make them worthwhile.
  • Reply 44 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the comparison. If I say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't imply that I believe that it is in any way a substitute for sliced bread. Perhaps ham, maybe cheese. He's only acknowledging the strong initial sales, for Pete's sake.

I think my girlfriend is better looking than your car.

NOW do you see the problem? You compare like with like, otherwise the comparison has little relevance.
  • Reply 45 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage

The more we see of Apple, the more true this is.
  • Reply 46 of 158
    First, this makes it clear that MS has absolutely no idea what the iPad is.

Second, did MS hire former WWF writers to do this statement?

Heh maybe MS could hire some former pro wrestlers & then REALLY trash-talk Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 158
    Oops I've forgot that Kinect is a tablet computer.
  • Reply 48 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The original source reads like Mad-Libs: Journalism Edition…
    “Hey guys, I need the name of popular tech device”

“iPad”

“Thanks. Processing article now."
    Seriously though, to me this shows just how big the iPad is if these non-tablet device that is just an accessory to a game console is being compared to the iPad. How many 260s have they sold and are they really expecting 2M (or 3M) units per month to be sold this holiday quarter or is just hyperbole?

I guess what I don't get about this entire article is how these two products even got mentioned in the same sentence. Kinect is a somewhat cool add on for the xbox 360 but I find it hard on any level to compare it to the iPad. Or is this just the same old garden variety Apple vs Microsoft again? Or am I thinking of the wrong product?
  • Reply 49 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Cheeseburgers sells more than apples but imo apples are better for you. I am also pretty sure pepsi sells more cans than apple juice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I am the lamb of God. The unbelievers must be cleansed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Whoa, you're an idiot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Do you just copy and paste snark without bothering to read the thread or are you just kinda stupid?

We're talking about the utter inappropriateness of the comment, not the relative merits of the products. Because, you know, they don't have any relative merits.

Maybe you interpretted my post incorrectly...

Since 9to5mac stopped taking annoymous posts it seems that all the assholes are here now.

Appleinsider used to be the place you come come to for reasonable reading.
  • Reply 50 of 158
    I will buy a Kinect so I can take it out with me to read my books on the train, watch movies and surf the net. Can't wait.
  • Reply 51 of 158
    Note that Apple no longer mentions Microsoft.

Note that Microsoft now can't shut up about Apple. Not even when the product being discussed is not competing with any product of Apple's.

It's remarkable how often people in charge of vast resources sound like miserable, insecure teenagers. It'd be a lot more fun if Tsunoda would drop the corporatese and just shriek, "Ohmigod I am like so prettier than her and I mean like anyone who would go out with her is a total douchebag because like she's not even popular?"
  • Reply 52 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer;

There is only one connection.

Microsoft is using the iPad to get visibility for their Kinect product. They want to latch onto the iPad free press to drive their own product that as we know doesn't compete against the iPad.

And it appears to be working. That line got the product mentioned on every Mac related site.

Didn't cost them a penny! Beats spending 10 million bucks on Seinfeld.
  • Reply 53 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

And bananas will outsell mosquito repellent.

How are Kinect and iPad even remotely similar? Okay, they're both electronic. Is MS THAT desperate to say it outsold Apple? Didn't they 'win' the desktop OS wars?

I am confuse.

Seriously. Is iPad that threatening as a gaming device or MS pissing in their pants? I dont see any connection except both can play games.
  • Reply 54 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

And it appears to be working. That line got the product mentioned on every Mac related site.

Didn't cost them a penny! Beats spending 10 million bucks on Seinfeld.

Hope they will continue this kinda marketing and one day eat their hat somehow!
  • Reply 55 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The more we see of Apple, the more true this is.

The more we see of other products trying to compete with Apple, more true this is.
  • Reply 56 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many 260s have they sold and are they really expecting 2M (or 3M) units per month to be sold this holiday quarter or is just hyperbole?

The NPD numbers indicate that they have sold around 42 million Xbox 360s total, that they have over 20 million Xbox Live members.
  • Reply 57 of 158
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Kudo was on the Engadget show and clearly quite pissed off about how much attention they give to Apple's devices so I think they are just desperate to claim any new success over Apple no matter how obscure.

Some vague link could be the way people interact with games and media - gestures vs touch. Kinect controls video playback too.

I actually really like Kinect, far more than the Playstation Move or the WiiMote. It just looks way more fun to use for a kid and more likely to get them to exercise. The full body mapping looks great even though it needs to filter the spasms out.

The price is a bit steep at $150 but that does come with Kinect Adventures. I can see this being Microsoft's equivalent of WiiSports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgu7n_8RY4

Auto split screen for multi-player.

Sony and Nintendo keep dismissing it as not having accurate tracking so a controller is better but it's a camera so you could add something like a PS Move if you wanted to.

I don't think Kinect will necessarily shift more XBoxes as they need a lot of supported titles but it has an audience of over 40 million. That said, the iPad is at 3-4 million and if that trend increases or continues, Microsoft will have to convince over 20% of their current owners to buy the accessory. It's certainly possible but as mentioned already it doesn't really mean anything because it's hard to imagine someone choosing between buying either a Kinect or an iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.

No one said Kinect was garbage in the comments, show me where it said that?

The comments have simply been about the stupid comparison of a gaming add on to a tablet computer.

You might as well say Tickle Me Elmo will out sell the iPad this holiday season!

They are not competing products and they don;t have the same user base in terms of numbers.

An accessory to a best selling games console is hardly the same as a standalone tablet computer.
  • Reply 59 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

The Kinect Xbox 360 bundle will be at a similar pricepoint. 360 + Kinect Elite bundle should be around $399.

Given that Apple is pushing the iPad as a gaming device among other things, and Microsoft is pushing Xbox as a multimedia platform, I think there will be some competition.

I'm sure Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony are all very conscious of holiday wishlists. In that sense, they compete. Imagine some 13 year old kid who's going to get one big Christmas present this year: if he doesn't have a 360 or an iPad already, those are going to be at the top of his list.

And what about all the grown ups who won't buy a Kinect but will buy an iPad.

You are taking about a small part of the iPad demographic against a large part of the Kinect demographic. Yes they have a similar function (games), but that is only a small part of what an iPad can do. If the kid wants a portable gaming devices the Kinect is out for sure, and MS have NO competition in that area, or in book reading, or most importantly in hot tablet devices.
  • Reply 60 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the comparison. If I say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't imply that I believe that it is in any way a substitute for sliced bread. Perhaps ham, maybe cheese. He's only acknowledging the strong initial sales, for Pete's sake.

It is absolutely a moronic thing for them to say or imply. The two products are nowhere near related, and to try to use the Apple name to get headlines and ink is offensive. They are a totally dysfunctional company without much to show for their multi-BILLION dollar annual R&D budget - tablet PCs, Vista, Kin, Xbox. Yes Xbox, the only reason that they are still standing in the gaming market is that they have pissed away BILLIONS of dollars, using their deep pockets to buy into a market - they are still Billions of dollars behind. Even the kinetic is a clone of the Wii system. Instead of holding a controller that the system follows and responds to, the Kinect merely uses a camera to capture the same type of motion data. It's just a different flavor.