Morgan Stanley: Apple's iPad consuming 25% of PC notebook sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Now you're intentionally using "Consuming" in the headline just to get a rise out of the Style & Grammar nazis.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    Huberty takes typical editorial garbage and creates a whole new story with it...

who woulda thunked it from an analyst

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/17/i...-best-buy-ceo/
  • Reply 63 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I bought my Wife an MBP because I thought it would be more convenient than her iMac.

Still not convenient enough for her particular use... so I bought her an iPad. Perfect!!

So now I have the MBP... but again, for my particular needs (I already have my own iMac) I'd rather have an iPad.

It's easy for me to see the target market for the current iPad.

I am not sure about US, but in Mainland europe we call a notebook rather a laptop. Now funnily the lap is actually the place where I never use my MBP I use it as a mobile desktop. Now the iPad is actually a lot bettern at being a "Laptop". My feeling is that this is exactly what is happening. Sitting in a train or at home in a sofa or under a tree or what ever, with an actual laptop on your lap really sucks (my experience), and suddenly the iPad appears and you actually can do all the things most people use their notebooks for on a device sitting as comfortable on your lap as the iPad.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Good luck with your plea for clarity and the correct use of language. Edwin Newman is dead; long live Edwin Newman.

Among my biggest pet peeves is the term 'commodify' which as used by stock analysts means to turn an erstwhile specialty product into a commodity. But then that word is 'commoditize'. 'Commodify' means to turn something into a commode, which is the polite term for a crapper. [Notice that the villain in Gladiator is named Commodus?]

Another one that drives me batty is 'one of the only'.

And finally, the web poster's favorite 'I could care less'.

Yes, I'm being reaaaaaally petty. That's why it's called a PET peeve.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    The iPad is a perfect computer replacement - for the second computer. And that is where the growth is - it's an emerging mass market, Apple's favourite. The explosion of netbooks signaled it, then Apple released a better solution with perfect timing. (And Balmer thought they had it covered with netbooks.)

I, like everyone (over 30 at least) started with a desktop, then eventually replaced it with the portability of a notebook. The notebook really felt like a compromise device, but the portability more than made up for it.

Despite the iPad not having a "full OS" like many demanded, it is not a compromise device. It's perfect for tag teaming with a desktop. And as someone else mentioned, the same price as the notebook compromise.

A notebook/iPhone combo seems perfect for students and teenagers, while a desktop/iPad/dumbphone combo is perfect for those who used to be students and teenagers.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This article, like the other one about Best Buy, is about notebook, not netbook sales.

What ever it cannot cannibalize anything other than itself or at least Apple products, it was a grammatical comment.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Among my biggest pet peeves is the term 'commodify' which as used by stock analysts means to turn an erstwhile specialty product into a commodity. But then that word is 'commoditize'. 'Commodify' means to turn something into a commode, which is the polite term for a crapper. [Notice that the villain in Gladiator is named Commodus?]

If you don't feed your pets, they die or go live somewhere else.

Since you brought it up, "commodify" really does mean to turn something into a commodity. The problem with the use of the term is that few things actually deserve that description. A product isn't a commodity just because it's popular. Most of this usage is more lazy than wrong, strictly speaking.

The frequent misuse of the words "unique" and "hopefully" are high on my pet peeve parade.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There is no genre. There is the iPad. No one is talking about the need for a Windows powered tablet anymore. Everyone is talking about the presently to arrive Android clones [...]

But this is fundamentally an Apple phenomena, and talking about predicted "tablet sales" as a growth industry manages to once again erase immediate history, wherein everything before the iPad was a miserable failure, the iPad's introduction was dismissed by a lot of people as "just a big iPod" with a ludicrously big bezel incapable of doing "real work", and everything with any chance of success, post iPad, is going to copy the iPad model of lightweight OS coupled to app stores and services.

Post of the day... right on!
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But not if a computer is required in order to use the tablet. For those sorts of devices, the tablet cannot replace the computer, but is capable only of supplementing it.

My father connected his iPad to a computer once, to activate it. It hasn't been connected since - nor has he needed it to be.

I'll probably connect it to my MacBook Pro when I visit them this christmas just to get it backed up, but even if he lost it tomorrow he wouldn't loose anything as all his data is already in the cloud.

And don't expect the iTunes requirement to remain forever - it's obvious that was the start because it's infrastructure Apple had already. I expect fully independent iPads by the release of the next version.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The contortions are fun to watch.

And still irrelevant as sales (and profits) continue to rack up (and spin the trolls up).

Interesting times indeed
  • Reply 71 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you don't feed your pets, they die or go live somewhere else.

Since you brought it up, "commodify" really does mean to turn something into a commodity. The problem with the use of the term is that few things actually deserve that description. A product isn't a commodity just because it's popular. Most of this usage is more lazy than wrong, strictly speaking.

The frequent misuse of the words "unique" and "hopefully" are high on my pet peeve parade.

I think the usage train has pretty much left the station on "hopefully." The abuse of "unique" strikes me as an artifact of our advertising driven, hyperbole loving popular culture-- along with the random deployment of "awesome", "stunning" and "brilliant."

Awesome, in particular, apparently now means something like "I can make out what your'e saying" or "I take some mild satisfaction in having my prejudices confirmed", which is quite the demotion indeed.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Meh. I routinely have multi-GB TimeMachine backups done over my wireless nework. Most of the time don't even notice it. And really, other than your first sync, how often are you moving that much data?

Oh good luck convincing them of this. Wifi syncing is LONG overdue on the iOS and concerns over wifi capabilities are dramatically overblown.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think the usage train has pretty much left the station on "hopefully." The abuse of "unique" strikes me as an artifact of our advertising driven, hyperbole loving popular culture-- along with the random deployment of "awesome", "stunning" and "brilliant."

Awesome, in particular, apparently now means something like "I can make out what your'e saying" or "I take some mild satisfaction in having my prejudices confirmed", which is quite the demotion indeed.

I know. I'm just trying to keep the memory of Edwin Newman alive for at least one more day, even if it means being dragged into an alley and pistol whipped -- which is what usually happens when you talk about such things here.

Likewise, the meaning of "fantastic" has morphed in common usage from its original meaning of "unrealistic" to "wonderful."

Oh, and don't forget... "magical."
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can understand that people might opt for an iPad to complement a desktop over a laptop/netbook but people aren't walking into stores with the intention of buying a laptop and walking out with an iPad. Most laptop buyers don't buy them as accessories to desktops but as desktop replacements and you need either a laptop or desktop to even use an iPad. I would suggest the laptop market is starting to hit saturation given that they've been outselling desktops by 4:1 for a while now. Also, bear in mind this graph shows growth not sales so the number of laptops sold might still be going up, it's just decelerating.

You might see people who have a desktop and are shopping for a laptop for portability. They may get in to the store & see the iPad & think "You know, my desktop isn't all that bad and I could get an iPad for portability; save me a little money." I know at least 2-3 people who are making that evaluation right now, they planned on Laptop to replace desktop but now they are thinking they'd rather keep the desktop & add an iPad to compliment.

I'm actually creeping into this crowd myself, might consider jumping ship to desktop with iPad when the next one is released, that is when my laptop is up for replacement. You can get a much more powerful desktop + iPad3G for much less than you can get the most powerful MacBook Pro.

One thing I'd like to see is how the iPad has effected MacBook purchases, wonder if iPad has eaten into those sales the way it has the general laptop market. If it hasn't then that greatly effects the value of the PC laptop market and further adjustment would be needed.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

And YOU (as usual) just look like another fanatical _ _ _ _ _ twisting what was actually posted to suit your own misguided desires to be correct...

If you want to be relentlessly negative, and you apparently do, about Apple (which pretty much defines you as a troll, when done on an Apple focused site -- obviously you don't come here with any positive intent) that's you prerogative, but, at least be honest in your trolling. Nobody twisted anything, and several posters corrected you. You were completely and utterly wrong in your statements. So, time to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Well, my all time favorite from web postings is, "for all intensive purposes."
  • Reply 77 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you want to be relentlessly negative, and you apparently do, about Apple (which pretty much defines you as a troll, when done on an Apple focused site -- obviously you don't come here with any positive intent) that's you prerogative, but, at least be honest in your trolling. Nobody twisted anything, and several posters corrected you. You were completely and utterly wrong in your statements. So, time to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.

I'm using the ignore tool for the first time in the 6 years I've been on this forum. I think you should do it too. Not worth wasting our time or effort, or losing enjoyment of the forums because of certain posters.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    These are the same analysts who couldn't see the housing bubble and who are now saying that we are in a recovery. They get everything wrong. The fact that discretionary spending continues to contract has more to do with lower sales than the introduction of the iPad.