Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    According to some of our resident trolls, the iPad IS an exercise game by virtue of it's excessive weight. Put an iPad in both hands and work--pumping aluminum!
  • Reply 102 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

According to some of our resident trolls, the iPad IS an exercise game by virtue of it's excessive weight. Put an iPad in both hands and work--pumping aluminum!

They've gone onto my ignore list. I'm done with the nonsense.
  • Reply 103 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MS is officially out of ideas.

Oh wait, that happened 10 years ago.

MS is out of ways to capitalize on other people?s ideas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

• Reply 104 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Do you just copy and paste snark without bothering to read the thread or are you just kinda stupid?[/I]

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can't he be an idiot who also can't be bothered to read?
  • Reply 105 of 158
    no, that's not the point! It just makes more sense to compare similar item to similar item. I am sure they are going to sell a ton of those KINECTS- there are a lot of xboxes out there! The real comparison is how many of their ipad type product will they sell in comparison to the ipads sales. Apples to Apples!
  • Reply 106 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

And bananas will outsell mosquito repellent.

How are Kinect and iPad even remotely similar? Okay, they're both electronic. Is MS THAT desperate to say it outsold Apple? Didn't they 'win' the desktop OS wars?

I am confuse.

It's more about "mindshare" and perception than marketshare. And it is nothing new from Microsoft: remember their commercials featuring a John Hodgman lookalike? For Microsoft to react to anything Apple does was rather funny, since their desktop OS marketshare was never in danger, but I think they didn't like the fact that Apple got disproportionately good and flowing press coverage despite their relatively small market share.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    This is dumb on so many levels.

First off, entirely different products. Entirely different markets. Entirely different price points. One is an accessory for an already successful product, and the other is a competitor to successful devices (well, netbooks were successful volume-wise if not revenue-wise)

Aside from ALL of that. The iPad sells more per month than 360s.

The iPad has over 20,000 apps designed specifically for the device.

There are maybe 10 games for kinect, and none of them allow the character to move without being on rails. As of right now, no one in the gaming community sounds all that excited about kinect. The previews were huge 18 months ago, but lately everything has said that the PS move shows far more immediate promise. Kinect is considered a long-term pipe dream until a developer can make a AAA titlebthat doesn't involve me having an avatar dance on screen.

So, it's comparing two entirely different devices AND pretending people ate excited about a product they are not.

Just more claim chowder for Gruber.
  • Reply 108 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kinect will have high expectations to live up to

Why?

And it "will" have high expectations? Those expectations are not yet there?

Quote:

Apple sold over 1 million iPads in 28 days, and over 3 million in its first quarter. Earlier this month, analyst Katy Huberty with Morgan Stanley believes iPad production has reached 2 million per month. Apple reportedly hopes to reach production of 3 million a month by the end of the year.

What does this have to do with an X-Box accessory?

And with the name Kinect, isn't MS cannibalizing names from the dead?

What's the point of this article (as written)?
  • Reply 109 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

And bananas will outsell mosquito repellent.

You bananafanboys are impossible : )
  • Reply 110 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

That may have made my weekend.
  • Reply 111 of 158
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away"

.... well, this part of his quote may well be prophetic.....
  • Reply 112 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Made my day too. LOL!
  • Reply 113 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.

No, if it's not Scottish, it's crap! (delivered with proper brogue).

I don't think any comment even mentioned quality or lack thereof. The issue was how bizarre it was to make the comparison. At first glance it may seem weird since there has been a lot of bravado about how much better the competing tablet products will be and this claim seems to be a tactical retreat. But there really is a tradition of identifying which product is the most sought after with little hope of buying as a Christmas present. They even made a bad movie about it starring Arnold.

So years after Nintendo takes a huge risk with a gaming innovation Microsoft finally responds and they seem to suspect that they will be unable to meet the demand they now anticipate. There are so many XBoxes out there which means the market is huge. On the other hand it looks like Apple has marshaled resources in advance to handle the expected spike in demand for Christmas sales. They even have expanded distribution so it will be easier to find a store where the iPad can be purchased.

My guess is that the Microsoft spokesman might be right. The Kinect product might leave shoppers frustrated because of how hard it is to find while the iPad will just sell in huge numbers worldwide but without the drama. They are both in the Christmas gift category so let the games begin.
  • Reply 114 of 158
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think the Camera interface will be the next big thing after the touch interface, and Apple missed an opportunity to put a user-facing camera on the new Apple TV.

Or maybe Apple are in fact on top of this, and the "big thing" in Mac OS X 10.7 will be to use the iMac's camera to support Minority Report style gestures?

Edit: how cool would Coverflow be if you could just sit back on the couch and flick through the albums with a flick of your hand?

I wouldnt like that at all. Think about that you moving your hands and your film exits and goes to another channel when someone sneezes. I Would have liked to have a WII-like controller for appleTV!!!!!

THAT would have kicked ass. Nintendo is probably not going to license this technology to apple because they are afraid it will compete with the nintendo WII.... But it would be awesome!!!!
  • Reply 115 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

... but MS just keeps on a'jumpin.

Now that's some funny stuff.
  • Reply 116 of 158
    tzbtzb Posts: 19member
    I thought the comparison was very bizarre as well, given that the products are so different. If they were trying to make a statement about competing for Xmas gift dollars, that would have been fine. However, they were specifically predicting launch sales figures. iPad did not launch during any holiday season, never mind this one.
  • Reply 117 of 158
    tzbtzb Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

. I Would have liked to have a WII-like controller for appleTV!!!!!

THAT would have kicked ass.

Great idea! Once the Apple TV is hacked, it might actually be possible by adding a USB Bluetooth adapter.
  • Reply 118 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Just curious what the average purchase price for a Kinect will be compared to that of the iPad. If they aren't even in the same ballpark then the tenuous connection between the two is even shakier than I thought.

Are we talking Toyotas to BMWs here?

Edit: Joshong snuck in during composition.

You also have the hype differences. iPad hype was poor after it's announcement because a lot o people built it up to be more than it was, hype for Kinect is very excited. After release it may get some bad reviews that hurt sales, iPa got good reviews & it cause people to take a second look. Pre-orders only judge whether companies have recognized a marketable niche, not whether they will succeed in filling it. I like the Kinect concept, still waiting to see how it develops before I buy one.
  • Reply 119 of 158
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

You also have the hype differences. iPad hype was poor after it's announcement because a lot o people built it up to be more than it was

Yeah right ... Not! ... Apparently the consumers .. (the people who actually buy stuff rather than sitting around just thinking about stuff) .. don't agree with you. The hype was so poor it went on to set sales records that other companies can only dream of.
  • Reply 120 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thanks for the good info and links.

So this is a loss leader for MS.

If they make 50% on each game, then they would need to recover $175 just to break even (direct marketing, packaging, shipping, selling, costs, aside).

As I understand, they don't make much on the X-Box, so they must be planning to make money in games.

Actually, this is potentially the first step - like MS fans in the 90's, people here tend to dismiss MS out of hand, as evidenced by many posts on this thread. If you read up on Kinect, this is just the beginning for kinect uses. The vision, and who knows if it pans out, is a whole new computer interface - think the movie Minority Report.