Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Cool, but I don't think many are going to plunk down a grand for a display.

(sigh) I wish I could plunk down a measly thousand dollars for a good work display. My current EIZO CG241W cost me $2200 plus $50 shipping. The HP DreamColor LP2480zx I'd like to get is now discounted to $2499.

For a work monitor that helps me create content and pay the bills, $1000 is nothing. I spent more than that for my SmallHD 5.6" external video monitor that's about the size of a Kindle.

If you think about it, $1000 is only about 25 date nights to watch bad 3D movies, half that if you go to dinner before, even less if you had drinks. And the monitor still looks good in the morning, won't rag you about looking at other monitors, or expect you to buy it pricey accessories to make it feel better about your relationship with it.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

(sigh) I wish I could plunk down a measly thousand dollars for a good work display. My current EIZO CG241W cost me $2200 plus $50 shipping. The HP DreamColor LP2480zx I'd like to get is now discounted to $2499.

For a work monitor that helps me create content and pay the bills, $1000 is nothing. I spent more than that for my SmallHD 5.6" external video monitor that's about the size of a Kindle.

If you think about it, $1000 is only about 25 date nights to watch bad 3D movies, half that if you go to dinner before, even less if you had drinks. And the monitor still looks good in the morning, won't rag you about looking at other monitors, or expect you to buy it pricey accessories to make it feel better about your relationship with it.

Thank you. At last someone with some sanity on this topic!
  • Reply 63 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I've posted the photo, see for yourself. The reason is that glossy displays look better and are much more usable outside than matte screens.

ps. I run a professional design house which employs pro photographers and designers, and all prefer the glossy screen. Our calibration company also much prefer them.

I think we would all appreciate it if you'd not quote Blackintosh in your responses-- most people here have him on their ignore list, since he's never going to say anything that isn't some variation of sneering contempt for Apple products and users.

It's very pleasant to be able to read threads without having to see any of that.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Gah......... and everyone else who's responding with quotes-- THE IGNORE LIST IS YOUR FRIEND.

Really, there isn't any "debate" to be had with some people, and trying to rebuke them is pointless. Let's keep the visible trolling in the threads to a minimum.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think we would all appreciate it if you'd not quote Blackintosh in your responses-- most people here have him on their ignore list, since he's never going to say anything that isn't some variation of sneering contempt for Apple products and users.

It's very pleasant to be able to read threads without having to see any of that.

This guy is a tool. And ignorant. Seriously, comparing the LED Display to a "flat screen TV"...

Anyway, done and done.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

Steve Job's decision to go glossy locks me out of the iMac form factor and that is a shame. That's all.

Is it really so odd? Really? Can your superior mind find any understanding here? Are you willing to acknowledge that there may be some people in the world that feel differently than you? Maybe just a few? Maybe??

Yes I do. Hence I shall reiterate my point. Lots of different companies make monitors, buy one of theirs instead.

My mouse isn't made by apple, nor is my graphics tablet. Or my router, or my battery charger.

Understand? Buy the range of products offered by apple, or buy from another company. It's called consumer choice. No company offers all the options required by all consumers. Shock horror.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

I have lot's of third-party (non-Apple) products. Why limit yourself to Apple-branded stuff?

I absolutely agree about glossy monitors and won't use them either. I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with the hi-res anti-glare option and for an external monitor, I got a 26" VP2650wb Viewsonic.

Then I wrote to Apple telling them that I gave my $700 to Viewsonic instead of Apple because of Apple's gloss-only display policy.

See what good that did, eh?

Yes, and it's a bummer that Apple doesn't make a mid-range quad-core headless Mac. That's why almost everyone I know have MacBook Pros and external displays.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    I sure wish Apple offered matte displays. I'd already have one.