Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Actually, this is potentially the first step - like MS fans in the 90's, people here tend to dismiss MS out of hand, as evidenced by many posts on this thread. If you read up on Kinect, this is just the beginning for kinect uses. The vision, and who knows if it pans out, is a whole new computer interface - think the movie Minority Report.

Except that waving your hands around in the air is far more fatiguing than resting your hands on a surface. It makes a modicum of sense for certain video games, where the wired controlled is likely to be handheld in the first place.

But it makes no sense at all for general computing.
  • Reply 122 of 158
    Judging by the name, it will sell as twice as the kin
  • Reply 123 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except that waving your hands around in the air is far more fatiguing than resting your hands on a surface. It makes a modicum of sense for certain video games, where the wired controlled is likely to be handheld in the first place.

Exactly. That's what geeks always fail to realize: Those exaggerated über-futuristic interfaces from Hollywood rarely prove usable in the real world. Gamers might cling to it for a while out of "awe", but soon abandon it for being uncomfortable/cumbersome.

OTOH, Apple is far beyond cheap eye-candy and feature creep.

...just my 0.02.
  • Reply 124 of 158
    Quote:

You are being way too literal in what I said. I did not necessarily mean waving one's hands around, but rather, the ability to make movements and have actions occur, without being tied to a physical object.

Here is an example, you may understand. the iPhone keyboard - how many people said that it would not work because of the lack of a physical keyboard, and the absence of feedback. However, the virtual keyboard works with some practice. Kinect is potentially another step in the virtualization process of interacting with a computer, without the need to even touch the screen.

See, that was not that difficult.
  • Reply 125 of 158
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You are being way too literal in what I said. I did not necessarily mean waving one's hands around, but rather, the ability to make movements and have actions occur, without being tied to a physical object.

Here is an example, you may understand. the iPhone keyboard - how many people said that it would not work because of the lack of a physical keyboard, and the absence of feedback. However, the virtual keyboard works with some practice. Kinect is potentially another step in the virtualization process of interacting with a computer, without the need to even touch the screen.

So, if I'm not touching a screen, how am I not waving my hands in the air? What "ability to make movements and have actions occur, without being tied to a physical object" are we talking about, that isn't more fatiguing than resting my hands on a surface? Shrugging? Leaping? Head tilts?
  • Reply 126 of 158
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:

And after that they just stare at each other in puzzled silence for 30 seconds.

Thanks for that. I almost peed myself.
  • Reply 127 of 158
    I will never buy one, so you can have mine.
  • Reply 128 of 158
    I think any Microsoft-related product whose name begins with "Kin" has an uphill battle.

Let's ask Mr Tsunoda in January just how well his prediction held up.

Should be interesting, but let's wait and see.
  • Reply 129 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I think any Microsoft-related product whose name begins with "Kin" has an uphill battle.

... today, Microsoft announced that sales for the Zunect XBox interface hit a record of 132 for the 2010 Christmas season...

Update:

... meanwhile, supply of Apple's new iWeenie potty trainer failed to catch up wizz demand...

Sorry, I meant to update this sooner, but I had to take a break...

• Reply 130 of 158
    Our hotcakes sell like Mustangs (http://bit.ly/93IioQ)

This is a way for a company to set an expectation of success for their own product, whether it is a direct competitor or not.
  • Reply 131 of 158
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    MS should be able to sell millions of Kinnect add-ons to current XBox owners. what else can they do - get a PS3? add that to the normal holiday sales boost for XBox bundles and, yeah, they could sell 5 million that quarter. just with the novelty factor. it might outsell the iPad, tho not by much.

but the real test is - then what? if the Kinnect's body movement UI is just too limited after the novelty wears off (i think so), sales will fall off sharply.

the PS Move is a much safer bet. it will also sell millions of add- ons to current PS3 owners. it really is just a next gen HD version of the Wii (Nintendo left that door wide open by waiting too long to bring out Wii2), and so we know that is a proven UI. Established third party Wii games will be ported to the Move, upgraded to HD. the Move is going to sell a lot, not just the holidays, but all next year until we finally see a WiiHD someday.

iPad2 will come out early next year as well - and sales will double this year's.

place your bets!
  • Reply 132 of 158

... In other stories, Microsoft announced that its planned Interior™ computer will begin shipping on June 1, 2011, in time for the busy wedding season...

The Interior™ computer, is a large, coffee table-shaped box with a multi-touch interior surface. The highly-anticipated Interior™ computer is priced at $10,000...

... leading some critics to say that the Interior™ computer is nothing more than an expensive, big-assed coffin!

• Reply 133 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I would hate to live in that world. That bald turtle necked prick as president........ 'You're gonna really love our new tax policy, its' just magical'

If he managed the country as successfully as he manages Apple, who cares what pithy adjectives he would use?
  • Reply 134 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

MS should be able to sell millions of Kinnect add-ons to current XBox owners. what else can they do - get a PS3? add that to the normal holiday sales boost for XBox bundles and, yeah, they could sell 5 million that quarter. just with the novelty factor. it might outsell the iPad, tho not by much.

but the real test is - then what? if the Kinnect's body movement UI is just too limited after the novelty wears off (i think so), sales will fall off sharply.

the PS Move is a much safer bet. it will also sell millions of add- ons to current PS3 owners. it really is just a next gen HD version of the Wii (Nintendo left that door wide open by waiting too long to bring out Wii2), and so we know that is a proven UI. Established third party Wii games will be ported to the Move, upgraded to HD. the Move is going to sell a lot, not just the holidays, but all next year until we finally see a WiiHD someday.

iPad2 will come out early next year as well - and sales will double this year's.

place your bets!

I think a problem comes in where people still need some physical buttons to hold on to. The Wii or PS3 move style controls have a lot of flexibility because they offer a wide variety of control styles. Standing up and waving your hands around like a moron just to sign into xbox live seems more difficult than using a remote.
  • Reply 135 of 158
    Quote:

This isn't the '90s when Apple ran the ship w/o Steve. End of story.
  • Reply 136 of 158
    again and again....

If I be Abama, I will close this MS shiut once and for all...
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to wonder if they thought about renaming it after Kin failed so miserably.

They wanted to call it the Bob-ect, but that name was already taken!
  • Reply 138 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

If he managed the country as successfully as he manages Apple, who cares what pithy adjectives he would use?

That would be a fucking nightmare. That last guy would never admit a mistake. We sure don't need another one.
  • Reply 139 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"Ohmigod I am like so prettier than her and I mean like anyone who would go out with her is a total douchebag because like she's not even popular!"

That quote is full of win!
  • Reply 140 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I think the point is, the iPad has become the new standard for "selling like hot cakes".

In other words: "My god, our new geegaw is selling like iPads!"