Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

[/B]

I'll give you an example of "language problems" ... all with humorous results:

''See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.''

?President George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

''I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.''

?President George W. Bush, in an interview with the Jerusalem Post, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

''Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.''

?President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

I still miss his "unintended" humor......

In light of the unabashed nonsense served up by his replacement, I miss his governance...
  • Reply 42 of 94
    Quote:

It's not cannibalization unless the iPad is eating into Apples notebook sales, which hasn't been the case.

It could be viewed as cannabalisation from BestBuys point of view, if people are no longer buying notebooks from them but are buying iPads instead, then its cannabalised BestBuys sales but not Apples
  • Reply 43 of 94
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Perhaps it was HP or other manufacturers. The 50% figure is probably too high, but there's still a sales dropoff of major proportions.

Once again, it's not "cannibalization" if it's not interfering with the sales of Apple's laptops and iMacs. If it's driving losses for HP and Asus and Acer and all the others, then it's called "competing successfully."

Quite clearly, the iPad is likely replacing sales of low-cost PCs and such. Since these are low margin products, any decline of sales is drastic. You go from making almost nothing to making less than almost nothing.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    Quote:

[/B]

I'll give you an example of "language problems" ... all with humorous results:

''See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.''

?President George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

''I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.''

?President George W. Bush, in an interview with the Jerusalem Post, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

''Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.''

?President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

I still miss his "unintended" humor......

Oh don't worry. When Palin gets in you'll have your most unintended Presidential humor ever, in spades. It'll be a never ending onslaught of it.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member

I don't believe that's true. An iPad working as a digital slate on a television shoot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Tablets are the future of non-work computing.

• Reply 46 of 94
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

In light of the unabashed nonsense served up by his replacement, I miss his governance...

Considering that there are 8 years of GWB's "governance" to judge his ability to govern, plus a helluva different starting point, with a balanced budget vs trillions of $$ in debt for starters .... I'll have to wait awhile before I can judge performance levels based on anything other than personal bias, which, of course, is the only reasonable thing to do, wouldn't you agree?
  • Reply 47 of 94
    I would agree that few people are likely using their iPad as their only computer today. To keep it in context the iPad is only 5 months old.

The way I see people using iPads around New York City. I have no doubt in the near future it will become more commonly used as a primary computing device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

An honest question: have you tried using an iPad as your only computer?

I have yet to see many reports of anyone doing that. I can't remember having read even one. That isn't to say it isn't happening. But it must be quite rare.

• Reply 48 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Oh don't worry. When Palin gets in you'll have your most unintended Presidential humor ever, in spades. It'll be a never ending onslaught of it.

I should be lucky enough to live that long .... .... having said that, why wait for something that will never (likely) happen?

''They are kooks, so I agree with Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh was using satire ... I didn't hear Rush Limbaugh calling a group of people whom he did not agree with 'f-ing retards,' and we did know that Rahm Emanuel, as has been reported, did say that. There is a big difference there.''

?Sarah Palin, attempting to rationalize why it's okay for Limbaugh to use the word ''retards'' but not Emanuel, FOX News Sunday interview, Feb. 7, 2010

''Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country's energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas. It's catching up with you. The tragic, unprecedented deep water Gulf oil spill proves it.''

?Sarah Palin, blaming the Gulf oil spill disaster on ''extreme environmentalists,'' Facebook message, June 2, 2010

'''Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'''

?-a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin in response to being ridiculed for inventing the word ''refudiate,'' proudly mistaking her illiteracy for literary genius, July 18, 2010

Gotta love it. ....
  • Reply 49 of 94
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would agree that few people are likely using their iPad as their only computer today. To keep it in context the iPad is only 5 months old.

The way I see people using iPads around New York City. I have no doubt in the near future it will become more commonly used as a primary computing device.

"primary" seems reasonable. But it isn't the same thing as "only".

For some reason, this seems like predictions of a paperless office. I predict that few people will use a tablet computer as their one and only computer. Computers will continue to come down in price and the result will be nearly everyone owning more form factors, including a tablet.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    I see what you are saying. No, Apple didn't really design the iPad to be your "only" computing device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

"primary" seems reasonable. But it isn't the same thing as "only".

• Reply 51 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk View Post

Although this is not the primary topic for this thread, since I have noticed the debate was going into this direction, I feel encouraged to continue...

Here is a quote from former President GW Bush (my favorite, actually). NB : I have translated it from French (I am french, sorry, nobody's perfect ..). It is not verbatim, because of this, but I guarantee the sincerity of the translation, as far as my English makes it possible :

"The invisible part of all you think you can see, you cannot see it" (talking about Israel and palestine, interviewed by ITN, Crawford, April 5th, 2002)

Ha ha ... I don't know which is funnier .... the GWB quote or your signature (Frank Zappa quote) ... thanks for that.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

With our help, we (Apple Junkies) can make this happen. Spread the word, tell your friends, neighbor, co-workers.

Skip

Why do you care what other people buy?
  • Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

When a consumer is faced with the decision between a netbook's small form and "almost a laptop" shortcomings or an exciting, light weight, touch screen gadget with the support of a deep and wide app store for the same amount of money.... which would you choose, the past or the future?

I was waiting for the apple tablet. When I saw the iPad intro, I was disappointed. Within weeks, I bought a Dell Mini 10.

It is a much better device for my son than the iPad would have been. For example, it plays common video codecs and it can be plugged into the big screen TV and the big sound system to play HD movies with 5.1 sound.

And the software selection for it makes the iTunes store look positively anemic. He has access to the whole world of computing and not just little slices here and there.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

the only people who vaguely consider buying any computer at Best Buy are not informed consumers and certainly not even moderately experienced computer users.

This is just plain ignorance and bigotry. If you have valid points, make them.

But insulting millions of people with this sort of bullshit crosses the line.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

What I've never understood is those crappy netbook things. Miserable form factor, useless keyboard, cheap construction, pathetic performance for a computer, and a screen that is too small to effectively use conventional software.

I've never used one of those. But the Dell Mini 10 I bought for my son has none of those attributes. None.

Indeed, it performs better than the HP laptop I bought 5 years ago or so. Accordingly, it performs better than many Mac laptops from 4 years ago or so.
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

It is a much better device for my son than the iPad would have been.

You have a son? .... my condolences .... to your son. For his sake, I can only hope you don't fill him with the same negative, hateful bullshit that you keep spewing here on such a regular basis. Good luck to your son.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:

You have a son? .... my condolences .... to your son. For his sake, I can only hope you don't fill him with the same negative, hateful bullshit that you keep spewing here on such a regular basis. Good luck to your son.

<plonk>
  • Reply 58 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I see what you are saying. No, Apple didn't really design the iPad to be your "only" computing device.

My iPad is a luxury purchase. I use it as a novelty, on a whim, when ever it suits my mood. It would never be my primary computer. I have many computers. My iMac gets the most attention. It never shuts down. I let it run 24/7.

All of the people I know who have purchased iPads, are also people with many computers, iPhones, MacBooks, etc and they are all complete Mac freaks anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I've never used one of those. But the Dell Mini 10 I bought for my son has none of those attributes. None.

Indeed, it performs better than the HP laptop I bought 5 years ago or so. Accordingly, it performs better than many Mac laptops from 4 years ago or so.

Any particular reason that you hang out in an Apple forum, other than getting your jollies from irritating people?

Really, you need to get a life.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Any particular reason that you hang out in an Apple forum, other than getting your jollies from irritating people?

Really, you need to get a life.

Apparently to annoy you, as you are the only 1 that takes the time (on every one of his postings) to point out how much he annoys you.

So...

Really, I think you should ask yourself. Why are you replying rather than putting him on your ignore list?

I'd say on an intelligence level he's got 1 up on you...

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.