Apple Peel 520

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gsl...k=MW_news_stmp

Article Title: GSLO: Massive iPod Touch Sales Figures Prompted Apple Peel Deal

from the article

"GoSolarUSA aims to turn each of those portable game players into functional smartphones. The gadget slips over the iPod Touch's case and includes a battery, dock connector and SIM card. Once the proper software is installed, the Apple Peel adds the ability to make voice calls and text messages to all versions of the Touch."

I believe the Apple Peel 520 has been around for a while now, apparently on the black market in Asia. Just wondering if any one has any experience with this iPod Touch accessory?

I don't know if this is well engineered or not, but I would think a well engineered version would potentially sell bucket loads.

Since jailbreaking has government approval, not much Apple can do, unless the software they use violates other Apple patents, etc. I can't imagine Apple is too please with GoSolarUSA at this point.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I love the concept of turning the iPod Touch into a phone and quite honestly, if it had 3G support, it's something I'd choose over an iPhone. The new thin iPod Touch would be ideal for a case like this so long as it didn't cover up the camera.

You get so many benefits with external cellular hardware like easily swapping sims/carriers for international travelling. You could even get Verizon or 4G support, no antenna design issues as you just change the case. Every store could sell them with their own phone deals.

Imagine if this happened and you could buy an iPhone equivalent for $229 + say $30 for a phone bumper and then you pay your lower cost contract as you aren't subsidising the hardware.

Apple would destroy Android phones with pricing like that and nobody would lose out except exclusive partners who are losing their exclusivity now anyway.

It also opens up phone customisation a bit as you just buy a custom bumper and can switch it with others if you feel you want a change.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    It would also open up sales to people that just don't want nor need a data plan.

I wonder when some one will come out with a similar phone accessory for the iPod Nano?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Interesting development (I notice network syncing is on the image too):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/19/a...20-turns-shad/

Either they are doing this to prevent 3rd party product makers from doing so or they are about to drop-kick Android out of the market.

One thing Apple do well is to build robust products that are very thin, small, light etc. This makes something like an external phone accessory perfectly possible without compromising the device.

No other device manufacturer could feasibly do this right now because their products are far too bulky or in the case of devices like the Pre, the design wouldn't allow it.

The new iPod Touch is made for this type of accessory because of how thin it is. Imagine a small holder that just slides into the bottom of the iPod Touch and uses the internal battery for power. Any carrier, any network type, international use without huge bills, no long contract obligations with one provider, low handset price, easy to resell your handset while keeping your number, much easier to buy as a gift.

Do it Apple, do it now. I can't see any reason why someone would ever want to buy another device if this was the setup. Carriers would be able to offer the iPod free with much more competitive tariffs than they do now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Interesting development (I notice network syncing is on the image too):

Nice find, I missed this. Wouldn't this be a huge surprise, I believe there is definitely a market. Instead of jailbreaking and using 3rd party hacks, Apple offers a well built version of the Apple Peel 520.

Somehow I doubt Apple will do this, but it sure would create worldwide news. Add the fact there would be no real competition since there really isn't an iPod Touch competitor worth mentioning.