Have you ever been heard about "Ipad" that can make call?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Have you ever been heard about "Ipad" that can make call from China? My friend sent me a clip of it but i don't believe it. Do you think the next gen of Ipad?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Of fricking course not. It'll be a knock-off from some China-only company. It has nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The iPad has a built in microphone and speaker. Thus, it has the necessary hardware for voice communication over the internet. The only thing necessary to make this happen then is software.

I don't know if that software exists.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The iPad has a built in microphone and speaker. Thus, it has the necessary hardware for voice communication over the internet. The only thing necessary to make this happen then is software.

I don't know if that software exists.

The iPhone version of Skype works on the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thanks for the skype confirmation. Also having an iPhone4, I had never bothered to check on calling via the iPad.

Theoretically, a 3G model could actually place calls on a mobile network... but once again, dependent on software, and of course, carrier support.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Not only can you make and receive calls on the iPad, you can also do it in the background with 4.2. I have been using an app called Line2 for a few months. It even works over 3G.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    To be specific, that's an Internet based call instead of a phone network call. Right? Although the distinction isn't important in some situations, especially when the two networks can be bridged together. But it does mean you need data plan instead of just a phone plan. That makes difference if you were going to try and hack support for calls via a voice plan.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

To be specific, that's an Internet based call instead of a phone network call. Right? Although the distinction isn't important in some situations, especially when the two networks can be bridged together. But it does mean you need data plan instead of just a phone plan. That makes difference if you were going to try and hack support for calls via a voice plan.

Correct.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The iPhone version of Skype works on the iPad.

Indeed.

I've made calls on my iPad to the U.S. on a train to Rome....

And in Switzerland,Dubai,and Hong Kong using Skype.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sid James View Post

I use Skype on the iPad as well and it works great. I also have a SkypeIn number, which allows friends to call me from their landline or cellphone. The only problem is that you have to have the Skype app running, which is a bit of a pain on the iPad at the moment as there's no multitasking. The iOS4.2 update should hopefully rectify that problem in November.

I have been putting it off but I think I will get a skype number when IOS4.2 comes out.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGonz View Post

Indeed.

I've made calls on my iPad to the U.S. on a train to Rome....

And in Switzerland,Dubai,and Hong Kong using Skype.

Showoff.