Editable Google Documents coming to iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Google announced Monday that iPad and Android versions of Google Documents with mobile editing capabilities will be arriving "in the next few weeks."

The announcement, posted by Google Enterprise President Dave Girouard on an official blog, marked several "major milestones" for Google Apps, as reported by jkOnTheRun. As of Monday, 3 million businesses, with a total of over 30 million users, have "gone Google" by switching to the Google Apps platform.

The new editing capabilities for Android-based and iPad-based Google Docs were showcased Monday at the Google Atmosphere cloud computing event in Paris. Although details on the update were sparse, Girouard confirmed the new versions for Android and iPad will be released in coming weeks.

"In the next few weeks, co-workers around the world will soon be able to co-edit files simultaneously from an even wider array of devices," wrote Girouard.

An edit-enabled Google Docs update will deliver strong competition to Apple, which has enjoyed high sales of the company's multi-touch iWork suite of productivity apps for iPad. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers have remained near the top of the iPad App Store's "Top Paid Apps" list since the iPad's release in April.

Also announced Monday, Google Apps users will now take advantage of increased security protections through a two-step verification process. Users will sign in with their "password (something they know) and a one-time verification code provided by a mobile phone (something they have)."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ..and its called Documents To Go;

http://www.nexle.dk/2010/09/07/top-i...ite-ipad-apps/

Not only can you integrate with Google Docs you can also integrate with DropBox.

It works for 90% of Google Docs but I must admit I've had troubles with some really complex Google Doc documents (not sure why).

Cheers,

Daniel
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Finally
  • Reply 3 of 23
    "Editable Google Documents coming to iPad"

What's this I hear about Edible Google Documents?

Oh. Never mind.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I can't wait to read what y'all have to write!

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...915-15c7r.html
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Very nice. This should have been here from launch, don't really know what took so long. Used google docs quite extensively last year to collaborate with a bunch of people while working on the project. A really great tool, not as advanced as MS Office, but very good for collaboration.

I think MS should make Office for iPhone and Android as well. They could make quite a buck and could claim a giant victory in the mobile space, something they still can't do with their OS.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    BFD. It's amazing how people will flock to crap.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Very nice. This should have been here from launch, don't really know what took so long. Used google docs quite extensively last year to collaborate with a bunch of people while working on the project. A really great tool, not as advanced as MS Office, but very good for collaboration.

I think MS should make Office for iPhone and Android as well. They could make quite a buck and could clame a giant victory in the mobile space, something they still can't do with their OS.

Microsoft is leveraging MSOffice for Windows 7 mobile. Apple will expand iWorks for iPad for iOS Devices.

Get the pattern?

You eat your own food on your own platform.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Microsoft is leveraging MSOffice for Windows 7 mobile. Apple will expand iWorks for iPad for iOS Devices.

Get the pattern?

Not exactly true for the Mac. Microsoft probably doesn't eat its own food on the Mac, where it sells Office.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Oh. Never mind.

You should not eat those documents. Once in your stomach they start to google.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Used google docs quite extensively last year to collaborate with a bunch of people while working on the project. A really great tool, not as advanced as MS Office, but very good for collaboration.

There are certainly some types of documents where this is appropriate; stuff that is totally public in nature, and where it's not even an issue if the working drafts are seen by others. But that's far from typical.

Are people just not bothered that their drafts and documents are sitting on public servers? Or are people really naive enough to believe that they're really secure? As a tech business owner, I will not do business with a company that does live work in the cloud. There are certainly different degrees of "secure", and not all documents need to be DoD secure, but that's a hell of a lot of trust people are putting in google to not only keep it locked down, but to keep their own eyes out as well.

The company may not be evil overall, but they are made up of thousands of individuals. The case where the guy was digging into personal emails, IMs and voice calls is just the tip of the iceberg: http://gawker.com/5637234/

This guy was blatantly over-the-top. You know that in most cases the miscreants aren't ridiculously stupid like that. Just like criminals, we only hear about the ones that are stupid enough to get caught.

Quote:

I agree with you in general, but there are some cases (see above) where it's useful to have a highly accessible common editing tool available. I just think they're few and far between.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    All of this is very good, but when similar tool for the iPhone 4? I know the screen is smaller but it's got more RAM, better processor...

Hope it comes soon!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

All of this is very good, but when similar tool for the iPhone 4? I know the screen is smaller but it's got more RAM, better processor...

Hope it comes soon!

iPhone competes with Android, iPad not yet (except for the Archos and Streak). Don't know if this has any significance...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I really don't agree that it's crap, though it is limited by the internet connection. A cloud app generally won't be as responsive as a local native app. It has its place.

It has its place, and the collaboration capability is very nice.

Quote:

Get the pattern?

I'm not sure what this attitude is about, but it took all of five seconds to find this story:

Google Docs Editing Coming to iPad and Android

Heck, the first line of the AI story says gDocs is coming to Android too, it's just not in the headline.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

There are certainly some types of documents where this is appropriate; stuff that is totally public in nature, and where it's not even an issue if the working drafts are seen by others. But that's far from typical.

Are people just not bothered that their drafts and documents are sitting on public servers? Or are people really naive enough to believe that they're really secure? As a tech business owner, I will not do business with a company that does live work in the cloud. There are certainly different degrees of "secure", and not all documents need to be DoD secure, but that's a hell of a lot of trust people are putting in google to not only keep it locked down, but to keep their own eyes out as well.

Agreed, though conditionally. It's hard to say that personal computers are secure, just that public servers are more often targeted.

It might be that people either don't know or don't care. Heck, most people send email "in the clear", which is potentially readable at every hop from sender to recipient. I'd really love to have encrypted email, but most people don't have it so there's nothing I can do.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

you must be surrounded by people....

i use quickoffice on pad and android. for some reason the version on android is 'slicker' i guess they haven't updated ipad yet. but, i am heavy google apps so look forward to ipad app.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Glad I wasn't the only one who first read that they were Edible. heh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Oh. Never mind.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Agreed, though conditionally. It's hard to say that personal computers are secure, just that public servers are more often targeted.

Indeed, nothing is perfectly secure. But storing documents in the cloud -- and working drafts, which is more scary, if you think about it -- is generally accretive to the security issues. Unless you dictate that the documents are not stored locally at all (which has a whole other set of issues), the local worries are still there, PLUS you've handed the virtual keys off to another organization. Trusting not only that their keys and methods are secure, but that 100% of their staff is as well, which is the huge fallacy. If you're sending a letter to grandma it really doesn't matter, but for business documents, it's flat-out stupid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It might be that people either don't know or don't care. Heck, most people send email "in the clear", which is potentially readable at every hop from sender to recipient. I'd really love to have encrypted email, but most people don't have it so there's nothing I can do.

THANK YOU! Why can't people ever seem to understand this?? Why hasn't the world at large forced the notion of end-to-end secure email. The old saying about email being like a postcard is absolutely true, and yet people seem to think it's private.

But rather than saying "there's nothing I can do", at the very least you can try to spread the word and make sure people you know have been exposed to the idea that it can be secure if we only cared enough to make it so. I try, but it's going to take a lot of knowledgeable folks spreading the word to the uneducated masses to make any progress.

Quote:

The company may not be evil overall, but they are made up of thousands of individuals. The case where the guy was digging into personal emails, IMs and voice calls is just the tip of the iceberg: http://gawker.com/5637234/

This guy was blatantly over-the-top. You know that in most cases the miscreants aren't ridiculously stupid like that. Just like criminals, we only hear about the ones that are stupid enough to get caught.

• Reply 17 of 23
    Office HD and Docs to Go have been able to do this for ages from iPad ...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

I think MS should make Office for iPhone and Android as well. They could make quite a buck and could claim a giant victory in the mobile space, something they still can't do with their OS.

They will, but first they'll try to use it to leverage their mobile OS, then when that fails they'll finally push out a crippled version, then 3 or 4 years from now when no one cares about it anymore they'll finally level the playing field for all OSes, but release the Winmobile version like 6 months sooner. They'll advertise it something like, "we're excited to finally be able to bring the iOS & Android versions of our office applications in line with our Winmobile versions! Blahblahblah...."
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thisguyukno View Post

Glad I wasn't the only one who first read that they were Edible. heh.

Me too
  • Reply 20 of 23
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Get the pattern?

Nah. I think that MS should at least go the Android route. MS is dead as a mobile phone platform maker. I think it is clear, and unless WinMo7 blows everything out of the water (which it won't) it will continue to bleed maker share into irrelevance,

MS is however, the best productivity solution maker in the industry. And I will even say that it's not because of its monopoly. I really like office products better then iWork, open office, etc. I think if MS wants to make their shareholders happy and keep a beachhead in the mobile industry, they need to leverage Office and possibly Xbox on platforms that are actually relevant like Android and iOS.