Apple sues 'HyperMac' accessory maker over MagSafe, iPod cables

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    so, the time to think about getting a backup is when you run out of power?

it's one of the first things i give consideration to when i purchase a mobile product. the problem with folks these days is they simply don't think ahead.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

On the other hand, it is annoying that Apple doesn't license the MagSafe adaptor. How much money do they make selling their own power bricks that it makes sense to lock them down?

The entire reason for "doing a patent" in the first place is to stop your competitors from stealing your inventions to enhance their products ... why do you think Apple is still the only notebook manufacturer, at least that I know of, that offers that on their computers?
  • Reply 43 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently we have discovered still something else you seem to know nothing about. FYI patents have to be vigorously defended or you will lose them ... by law.. This is not rocket science .... well, except maybe in your case.

It's not rocket science, but it's patent law. You don't lose your patent rights by not enforcing them. They might lose the ability to sue or recover as much HyperMac for these particular products in the future if they don't sue or inform them of the alleged infringement, but they would be able to enforce it against anyone else, but that's the case any time you fail to sue someone that has infringed your rights. However, Apple could maintain their right to sue simply by sending letters informing them of the infringement and telling them to cease.

You're likely confusing this concept with trademark law, in which can a loss in rights can occur if not enforced properly.
  • Reply 44 of 172
    Apple will prob reach a agreement and settle like they always do

Hypermac stuff isn't cheap they even have models for their products!!

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...-iPod-s/91.htm

And mostlikly rake in all profit and pretty good margins if they are able to sell anything

http://cgi.ebay.com/HyperMac-Extende...item45f51340da

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...-p/mbp-060.htm
  • Reply 45 of 172
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

And BTW, I was looking in a suburb of one of the top-10 biggest cities in the US. The suburb alone has a population of over 100k. I went to both a Radio Shack and a well-stocked specialty electronics store, as well as lesser, but more local possibilities, like Walgreens.

I call BS. AA to USB power supplies are plentiful, as are iPod cables. There you go.

Or move down the wall a little (if you really are in a Radio Shack) and pick from probably four or five iPod/iPhone car adapters. Or USB wall chargers made specifically for the iPod.

If you had complained about finding a mag safe external battery to charge you MacBook with the non-removeable battery that would be one thing - but to complain about the iPod dock connector, when iPod dock cables are as prevalent as USB cables, is just plain trolling.

Heck, I was in a Ross clothing store a few months back and walked out with a $5 belkin car charger that worked perfectly when I left my cradle for my iPhone at home by accident. Heck you can get them in dollar stores for crying out loud
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

Back to topic.

I was furious when I read Apple's legal action against HyperMac.

I have a long-life HyperMac battery. Said to last around 10-12 hours. If Apple does not allow other manufacturers to make these products for the Mac -- and Apple does not -- then it is just plain spitefulness.

There's going to come a day, possibly in the next iteration of Windows, then Windows -- which might not be AS good as OSX -- but it's good enough. I might hop off the train.

4miller,

As noted on the first page of the legal action, HyperMac is using the 30-pin dock connector without licensed permission from Apple. Apple licenses the use of the dock connector to many manufactures, and sells a number of extended battery chargers through their own online and retail channels on behalf of 3rd part hardware manufacturers.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions you might have about the case.
  • Reply 47 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

This really sucks. Apple needs to provide low-cost licensing for the MagSafe. Acceptable alternatives would be to have a secondary charging port or replaceable batteries.

What this means for me is that I'll need to buy a PC simply because I couldn't power my MacBook on some of the trips I go on.

While it's there right just as it's mine not to buy there products, it does suck. I'd love for Apple to at least release a DC charger accessory like you can find from other notebook makers. Having to use an invertor is a waste of equipment and power.
  • Reply 48 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

You need a hobby. Too much anger.

That's rich...

You guys need a life - or to at least to take a break from the incessant trolling.

/sock puppetry that goes on here. As I posted, complaining about the 60 pin dock connector - especially now that it's a defacto standard is pretty inane.
  • Reply 49 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Bad form dude, really bad form. You're not asking questions, you're insulting. You're not defending Apple, which isn't your responsibility anyway, you're attacking someone else's expression of THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES

You must be new. If they were real experiences, or if the people Sol was responding to weren't obvious trolls I doubt you would have seen that kind of response from him.

Quote:

and their desire to see the MagSafe connector licensed to 3rd party manufacturers.

1) he wasn't complaining about the MagSafe - that might actually make sense.

2) even if he was, it makes no sense to be looking for an AA to MagSafe for laptops. I think it's pretty obvious why no one would make an AA to MagSafe
  • Reply 50 of 172
    Oops!
  • Reply 51 of 172
    Well, this thread is officially overrun by the troll army.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    In an attempt to get back on track while wishing vBulletin didn’t show postings sans content of ignored posters, I found it odd when I first learned of HyperMac selling battery packs with the MagSafe connector that there wasn’t any word that others were selling them too or that Apple had started licensing this IP.

I think there was one other vendor doing it about the same time, but HyperMac looked to have the most reasonable looking products.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, this thread is officially overrun by the troll army.

Not really, just a two or three man cheer squad. I do wish the management would enforce anti-trolling rules and boot these clowns and their sock puppet successors as soon as they re-appear.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You werent able to find an external charger for an iPhone? Another foolish lie or showing just how incompetent you are since Apple licenses their 30-pin Dock Connector? (I'm just asking questions here)

'another foolish lie'? 'incompetent'?

do you know this person or are you just an obnoxious scumbag 24/7?
  • Reply 55 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Not really, just a two or three man cheer squad. I do wish the management would enforce anti-trolling rules and boot these clowns and their sock puppet successors as soon as they re-appear.

as long as they pass down judgment fairly and boot the name calling apple fanatics as well.
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Reread the part of my post where I said I found them via mailorder upon my return.

That you claim you couldn't find it locally is specious.

Quote:

And please lighten up on the personal remarks.

If you were anything but continually anti-apple and negative you might get fewer sardonic responses.

You reap what you sew. If you don't like the quality or tone of the comments towards your posts, you might want to consider changing the tone of them instead of always blaming the people responding to you as having the problem.
  • Reply 57 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

as long as they pass down judgment fairly and boot the name calling apple fanatics as well.

Trying to take as many with you as you can?

You do realize this is an apple fan site?

Then again of course you do - that's why your here
  • Reply 58 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

That you claim you couldn't find it locally is specious.

If you were anything but continually anti-apple and negative you might get fewer sardonic responses.

You reap what you sew. If you don't like the quality or tone of the comments towards your posts, you might want to consider changing the tone of them instead of always blaming the people responding to you as having the problem.

while i see no point in being here and always being anti-apple, being negative or anti-apple does not mean every gets to just do personal attacks cuz they don't like an opinion.

oh and you reap what you 'sow' not 'sew' (unless you are seamstress) lol.
  • Reply 59 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I count 8 trolls in 57 posts, with multiple posts per troll in most cases. Maybe HyperMac called up Rent-A-Troll.
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Trying to take as many with you as you can?

You do realize this is an apple fan site?

Then again of course you do - that's why your here

yes i do realize it is an 'apple information' site. after i purchased my apple products i came here. and i can praise the apple things i like and i can put in my 2 cents on apple products i don't like. i see no difference in someone being a jerk and anti-apple and a jerk who is pro-apple. both just jerks.