Apple sues 'HyperMac' accessory maker over MagSafe, iPod cables

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    I hope its a prelude to Apple making more mag-chargers. On e for in vehicle would be nice, we know you can buy a car inverter - but thats not a very slick solution.

It would be nice if i could also buy a universal charger and get the mag tip.
  • Reply 82 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

2. The mag safe connector issue is different. They acquire Apple manufactured MagSafe connectors and wire them to another charging station. How can Apple control this? That seems wrong. They aren't making the connector, they are simply modifying it. A manufacturer of a product can't decide how it's being used once it's been sold. That would be like a hard drive manufacturer saying someone can't buy their external drive and extract the drive and put it in their own case. There is no warranty once you modify the device, and it's usually not cost effective, but if you want to do that, go right ahead.

I agree. If a company buys the connectors from Apple, then they have already paid the fee. Why should they not be able to cobble together anything they want out of the part they have purchased? If they are getting them from some unknown recycler, then that should not be an issue either since someone has already paid the cost of the part to Apple. Apple already bricked my iPhone charger which worked with my 2g Iphone but is now unusable with the iPhone 4. The phone gives me an error message which says that the "charging is not supported with this accessory"

Total BS from a company that claims they are so "Green" How many chargers has it bricked in order to sell more accessories?
  • Reply 83 of 172
    Once again we have a situation where Apple has to protect their product and licensing program, but there wouldn't be much demand for HyperMac products if Apple didn't charge $29 for $5 cables.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I despise these immoral lawsuits.

It should be legal for HyperMac, without paying licensing fees, to manufacture a product that can plug into an accessory port on an Apple product.

Allowing companies to make incompatible ports, and then to charge licensing fees to sell something that fits into those ports? That is not what I'd call fair or beneficial to our society or economy.

Remember, all laws are enforced at the end of a gun, by violence. I don't consider it moral to point a gun at somebody because they made something that can plug into an accessory port.

Idea ownership ("intellectual property") has gotten way out of hand.

I am a bit surprised by not allowing products to be made to work with YOUR OWN stuff - I mean, what is the point of touting the benefits of your magsafe adapter if it is too restricted or expensive or limited in how and where you how you can buy it and use it.

Not allow OTHER manufacturers to use the port is a different story. At least in this case in my opinion - the magsafe adapter is a competitive advantage and a reason why you might look at Apple instead of the competition. Even so - that should not stop others form using the idea of a magnetically attached power cord from copying the idea behind it - but not the actual implementation of specific configuration.

Items such as a video output port - there is a reason why there are consortiums and standards bodies for that sort of thing - since just about every manufacturer has to make a product that works with someone else's product at some point. Not so for power supplies - I only NEED to make power supplies that are compatible with my own products since I include that power supply with my product.

and to some extent proprietary power supplies can be a good thing - despite how annoying it is to have a box full of adapters - if you never accidentally plug the in the wrong adapter and blow up your device that is a good thing.
  • Reply 85 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3848038

Maybe they didn't have it in that particular store but if you asked a sales person maybe they could have had it shipped to you or the store the next day.

I did ask. They were clueless.

I also went to Best Buy.
  • Reply 86 of 172
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

This is off post but I noticed the new header. That's nice and I like it! Are you planning to revamp the whole site as well? Pure CSS3 and HTML5! w00t!

I'm not that impressed. I am all for making the header use as little vertical space as possible. In this case it would be 90px to accommodate the banner ad.

As far as updating the whole site is concerned, they can only implement what vBulletin offers. Until we get a complete revision from jelsoft that isn't going to happen. And since jelsoft just released their new portal version it looks like they haven't had much time to devote to yet another complete overhaul including an iPhone version. Disappointing really.
  • Reply 87 of 172
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Reread the part of my post where I said I found them via mailorder upon my return. And please lighten up on the personal remarks.

Well now that the facts are known, i.e. that a solution was available to you in advance, that kind of deflates your original gripe against Apple over this. All that is left is a pissing contest over who said what and when during the course of this discussion.

Thompson
  • Reply 88 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently we have discovered still something else you seem to know nothing about. FYI patents have to be vigorously defended or you will lose them ... by law.. This is not rocket science .... well, except maybe in your case.

Do tell! I want to hear all about this. This indeed IS something I know nothing about!

Yer a riot, kid. Please don't ever change.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Remember, all laws are enforced at the end of a gun, by violence.

Maybe in Texas, but in most states and countries, it's enforced by a judicial system which does not involve a gun.

And judges aren't armed like Judge Dredd.
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Maybe in Texas, but in most states and countries, it's enforced by a judicial system which does not involve a gun.

The gun is always implied. Without it there is no enforcement.
  • Reply 91 of 172
    If I buy a Civic and rice it up and resell it, Honda can't sue me, can they? So how can Apple sue these guys when all they're doing is buying product, modding it, and reselling it??
  • Reply 92 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Now I'm gonna guess that THAT thing is almost certainly a patent infringement.

C

Build it for yourself, and don't resell it. No problem.

Thompson
  • Reply 93 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If I buy a Civic and rice it up and resell it, Honda can't sue me, can they? So how can Apple sue these guys when all they're doing is buying product, modding it, and reselling it??

Yes, the reselling part is where you get into trouble.

Thompson
  • Reply 94 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The gun is always implied. Without it there is no enforcement.

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. All business lawsuits are solved with lawyers and money. Lawsuits aren't handled with a gun. Let's be serious. Guns haven't enforced business law for years.

Nobody loses a life over a lawsuit (at least in North America). You might become bankcrupt.
  • Reply 95 of 172
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lyrrad View Post

It's not rocket science, but it's patent law. You don't lose your patent rights by not enforcing them. They might lose the ability to sue or recover as much HyperMac for these particular products in the future if they don't sue or inform them of the alleged infringement, but they would be able to enforce it against anyone else, but that's the case any time you fail to sue someone that has infringed your rights. However, Apple could maintain their right to sue simply by sending letters informing them of the infringement and telling them to cease.

You're likely confusing this concept with trademark law, in which can a loss in rights can occur if not enforced properly.

I stand corrected, but let me ask you something. If Apple did nothing, would that not set a precedent that could possibly be used against them if somebody else decided to infringe in the future?
  • Reply 96 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. All business lawsuits are solved with lawyers and money. Lawsuits aren't handled with a gun. Let's be serious. Guns haven't enforced business law for years.

Nobody loses a life over a lawsuit (at least in North America). You might become bankcrupt.

I'm not a lawyer, but I was under the impression that ultimate enforcement of law is handled by the Police and they are usually packing.
  • Reply 97 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

It is called being a "patent troll". They hope to intimidate, and in that posture, it matters less whether they have a leg to stand on legally.
  • Reply 98 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Yes, the reselling part is where you get into trouble.

Thompson

Bullshit. Why talk about these things if you know nothing about it?

You are free to buy a Civic, juice it up, and sell it. Period.
  • Reply 99 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If Apple did nothing, would that not set a precedent that could possibly be used against them if somebody else decided to infringe in the future?

Yes. That is correct.
  • Reply 100 of 172
    Wait a minute,

So are these accessories being used on devices other than those from apple?

These companies have no control over what type of connection Apple uses.

Now, if they are manufacturing phones, laptops or ipods with magsafes, doc connectors, then we are talking.