Ping talks between Apple, Facebook failed after 18 months - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple and Facebook were reportedly in negotiations for a year and a half before a deal for connectivity with Ping, Apple's fledgling music-centered social network, fell apart at the last minute.

Apple's iTunes team was in talks with Facebook for 18 months, and perhaps more, before the launch of Ping, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told Silicon Alley Insider. The report went on to cite industry insiders who said that Facebook can be "abrasive" when dealing with other large companies, comparing the social networking site to Microsoft in the mid- to late-1990s.

"From what we hear, this is the new sound of working with Facebook, which is now big enough -- and has such important data -- that it knows it's one of the most important companies in Silicon Valley," the report said.

After Ping was introduced earlier this month, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs revealed that the iTunes-based service is not tied in to Facebook because, he said, the website demanded "onerous terms." He said that Apple and Facebook talked about a variety of partnership opportunities, but could not come to a deal.

Author Dan Frommer speculated that Apple originally intended to have Ping serve as a service that would drive iTunes sales through the already-established Facebook network.

"This would have allowed Apple to get what it wanted out of the relationship - more iTunes and iPod sales -- without having to build a social network from scratch," he wrote.

After the talks apparently fell apart, Apple included a "Facebook Connect" login interface without a deal in place. Facebook then allegedly responded by blocking API access to Ping.

Despite the lack of Facebook integration, Ping managed to register more than a million users in its first 48 hours. The opt-in service is built in to the new iTunes 10, and can also be accessed from the iTunes application on the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs revealed that ... Apple and Facebook talked about a variety of partnership opportunities, but could not come to a deal.

After the talks apparently fell apart, Apple included a "Facebook Connect" login interface without a deal in place. Facebook then allegedly responded by blocking API access to Ping.

That was a pretty sleazy move by Apple. No deal, nothing on the table, and Apple integrates them anyways.

No wonder the magazine and newspaper industries are saying "Thanks, but no thanks". Apple seems to be accumulating enemies a WHOLE lot faster than it is enticing partners.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Facebook are just as controlling, if not more, than Apple. I'd definitely trust Facebook way less though. Even the CEO thinks we're: "dumb fucks". I closed my FB account 18 months ago, coincidentally - I've never looked back.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Dear Apple.

That's OK, but.. Try. Harder.

Otherwise Ping will continue to be the red headed step child who lives in the basement. You know who I mean.....
  • Reply 4 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Dear Apple.

That's OK, but.. Try. Harder.

Otherwise Ping will continue to be the red headed step child who lives in the basement. You know who I mean.....

As sad as that sounds, you're right.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    I was planning to see "The Social Network" next weekend. But in light of these developments, no dice! I refuse to watch it!
  • Reply 6 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I was planning to see "The Social Network" next weekend. But in light of these developments, no dice! I refuse to watch it!

That'a a stupid reason not to see that film.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    I am friends with the family of someone who works for Facebook. Everything I've heard about the company is just sleaze. If you can imagine it, it's probably true.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    801801 Posts: 271member
    But everything that rises must converge. Wait.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

That was a pretty sleazy move by Apple. No deal, nothing on the table, and Apple integrates them anyways.

No wonder the magazine and newspaper industries are saying "Thanks, but no thanks". Apple seems to be accumulating enemies a WHOLE lot faster than it is enticing partners.

Right coz Facebook isn't sleazy, who's CEO refers to his company's users as dumb f#%ks and suckers.. Coz a company with complete disregard for privacy and who's CEO doesn't believe in privacy is not sleazy.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Right coz Facebook isn't sleazy, who's CEO refers to his company's users as dumb f#%ks and suckers.. Coz a company with complete disregard for privacy and who's CEO doesn't believe in privacy is not sleazy.

Just for the record, I said nothing one way or the other about Facebook.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    FB is the number one app on the iPhone from what I have heard.

If I were Apple, I would create my own social network app and distribute it with every machine I sell. Apple controls the production and distribution so why not take advantage of this opportunity. They could link this to me.com, iTunes and iAds...

FB will have no choice but allow interoperability with this service then.

Think Big Apple. We are still waiting for that game changing event you mentioned a while back.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    Quote:

The Facebook Connect API is free to use by anybody. Apple was simply exercising this right. What is sleazy is that Facebook demanded extra requirements from Apple to use this API it gives freely out to other people.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That'a a stupid reason not to see that film.

I was only joshin around.

I've heard that Social Network doesn't portray Zuckerbeg in a favorable light and he was even perhaps against the movie's release, so if anything I'd see it to spite him.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Facebook has every right to block Apple. Someone needs to show Apple that they just can't push anyone around and get their way. That may have worked for Apple against AT&T and the music labels, but in today's age, Facebook is too powerful for Apple to knock around.

PS: I don't have a facebook account and never will. Same for twitter or any other garbage social networking product.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Facebook sucks. It's for narcissists and idiots who thing their day is important to the world.

• Reply 16 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Typical post from you. high on the invective, short on the facts.

According to Facebooks terms of service, no one has to do anything until the daily hits exceed 100 million. Apple didn't have to do anything until then. It's Facebook that's being obstructive. They figured they had Apple over the barrel.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Facebook has every right to block Apple. Someone needs to show Apple that they just can't push anyone around and get their way. That may have worked for Apple against AT&T and the music labels, but in today's age, Facebook is too powerful for Apple to knock around.

PS: I don't have a facebook account and never will. Same for twitter or any other garbage social networking product.

Not untiil hits originating from Ping exceeds 100 million a day.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Facebook are just as controlling, if not more, than Apple. I'd definitely trust Facebook way less though. Even the CEO thinks we're: "dumb fucks". I closed my FB account 18 months ago, coincidentally - I've never looked back.

Unreal how these 500 million "dumb fucks" made Zuckerberg a billionaire huh? He's one smart, lucky son of a b!tch..
  • Reply 19 of 111
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Apple should revisit the situation after The Social Network debuts.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

FB is the number one app on the iPhone from what I have heard.

If I were Apple, I would create my own social network app and distribute it with every machine I sell. Apple controls the production and distribution so why not take advantage of this opportunity. They could link this to me.com, iTunes and iAds...

FB will have no choice but allow interoperability with this service then.

Think Big Apple. We are still waiting for that game changing event you mentioned a while back.

Why do you care about iAds?