Ping talks between Apple, Facebook failed after 18 months - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Facebook sucks. It's for narcissists and idiots who thing their day is important to the world.

I know you didn't say anything about Twitter, but I think it's different than FB. The CEO for a start seems like a great guy who actually gives a shit about his users and their privacy and security.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Just for the record, I said nothing one way or the other about Facebook.

Of course you didn't... you only slam Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Unreal how these 500 million "dumb fucks" made Zuckerberg a billionaire huh? He's one smart, lucky son of a b!tch..

He's more lucky than smart. Anyway, the guy's a robot. No amount of money can make him cool. Money is only money. I'd rather be happy than rich, any day.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    Ah, it makes sense now. Apple wanted Facebook to change its color from blue to reflective silver to match the UI of the rest of the iTunes interface. Or maybe it was the other way around. Evidence: Look at the BLUE iTunes icon! No color change, no deal, from either party!
  • Reply 25 of 111
    I'm glad the deal fell through. Not every social network needs to be Facebookified. The Facebook market is way too diluted.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Facebook has every right to block Apple. Someone needs to show Apple that they just can't push anyone around and get their way. That may have worked for Apple against AT&T and the music labels, but in today's age, Facebook is too powerful for Apple to knock around.

PS: I don't have a facebook account and never will. Same for twitter or any other garbage social networking product.

Right, because a brief article based on anonymous sources that doesn't get into any specifics is more than enough information to weigh in belligerently about who's pushing around whom.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:

That was a pretty sleazy move by Apple. No deal, nothing on the table, and Apple integrates them anyways.

No wonder the magazine and newspaper industries are saying "Thanks, but no thanks". Apple seems to be accumulating enemies a WHOLE lot faster than it is enticing partners.

I would suggest that the article is so poorly worded on what actually happened, and what that Facebook connect log in actually was, that your basically just weaving this opinion out of thin air.

What information there is at this point basically points towards how sleazy Facebook has been in their dealings with other companies lately, and your takeaway is that "Apple is sleazy." ????

Wow no bias there is there?
  • Reply 28 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

FB is the number one app on the iPhone from what I have heard.

If I were Apple, I would create my own social network app and distribute it with every machine I sell. Apple controls the production and distribution so why not take advantage of this opportunity. They could link this to me.com, iTunes and iAds...

FB will have no choice but allow interoperability with this service then.

Think Big Apple. We are still waiting for that game changing event you mentioned a while back.

Yeah, I think eventually Ping will eat Facebooks lunch.

I'm on it now and it definitely sucks in many ways, but it has great potential. Apples iTunes database is full of high end consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if five years from now FaceBook is like MySpace (for low class users), and Ping is the more desirable upscale social network.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    Ping has an agenda. It wants you to spend more time in iTunes and spend more money in the store. A good social network has really only one agenda: to help you connect with others (hence eyeballs, hence ad revenue). Ping thus far is doing a very poor job at connecting me to anyone. I've been signed up since it launched and thus far, I have only one connection. Ping isn't suggesting more friends to me. I have over 300 FB friends, and I don't even have email addresses for most of them, so I have no way to reconnect with these people on Ping. I've been wrong in the past, but my prognostication is that until and if Ping gets FB integration, it will be a low-traffic network, and ultimately curl up and die.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Ping has an agenda. It wants you to spend more time in iTunes and spend more money in the store. A good social network has really only one agenda: to help you connect with others (hence eyeballs, hence ad revenue). Ping thus far is doing a very poor job at connecting me to anyone. I've been signed up since it launched and thus far, I have only one connection. Ping isn't suggesting more friends to me. I have over 300 FB friends, and I don't even have email addresses for most of them, so I have no way to reconnect with these people on Ping. I've been wrong in the past, but my prognostication is that until and if Ping gets FB integration, it will be a low-traffic network, and ultimately curl up and die.

Help you connect with others, have you look at Ads, and of course, to sell your personal information. How do you think they make money? It's the same way Google makes it.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:

That was a pretty sleazy move by Apple. No deal, nothing on the table, and Apple integrates them anyways.

No wonder the magazine and newspaper industries are saying "Thanks, but no thanks". Apple seems to be accumulating enemies a WHOLE lot faster than it is enticing partners.

Another lame comment by Tekstud, I mean Newtron.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

This is terribly naive.

Facebook doesn't have an agenda? Facebook just want's to connect you with stuff you're interested in? What a laugh!

Ping might be rudimentary at the moment, but I bet you in the end run it will be more open that Facebook is. Ping might have selling music as it's primary goal, but it's fairly upfront about that. You'd have to be an idiot not to see that this is the primary purpose of Ping right now.

Facebook on the other hand is purposely and resolutely duplicitous in almost everything it does. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the point where they even allowed you any privacy. They still haven't made it easy, in fact they have been purposely obfuscatory. The entire Facebook UI *reeks* of confusion and deception. At least Ping is transparent.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, because a brief article based on anonymous sources that doesn't get into any specifics is more than enough information to weigh in belligerently about who's pushing around whom.

It's common knowledge that Apple loves to push around companies. They ran into a company that is far more important than them on a social level and got slapped in the face. Apple needs to come off their high horse at times.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's common knowledge that Apple loves to push around companies. They ran into a company that is far more important than them on a social level and got slapped in the face. Apple needs to come off their high horst at times.

That's very funny.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Try working with Apple as a strategic partner we are lucky to even get a reply that is just, "Sorry, no answer"...
  • Reply 36 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Help you connect with others, have you look at Ads, and of course, to sell your personal information. How do you think they make money? It's the same way Google makes it.

Like I said "(hence eyeballs, hence ad revenue)"

My point is, the reason I go on Facebook is to connect with my friends who live all over the place, and catch up on what they're doing. Ping doesn't let you do that at all. You can't customize your homepage. You can't post anything not related to the iTunes store. Its a poor social network and hardly even qualifies as such. It would have been sort of cool as an FB-add-on, but as a stand-alone thing it's not, at least thus far.

If anyone's interested in music-related social networking, try the Last.FM module for FB. It even integrates into iTunes and will publish what you're listening to, regardless of whether it is available in the iTunes store. Now, that's how it should be done. http://www.last.fm/

I guess Apple was hoping the FB-connect thing would fly. It seemed like there was brinkmanship going on right up to the release. Its weird seeing Apple pull a "Palm-Pre" sort of maneuver.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Facebook sucks. It's for narcissists and idiots who thing their day is important to the world.

I just updated my status to "loling at a comment from iansily." I also took a screen shot and posted it so my friends can discuss.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is terribly naive.

Facebook doesn't have an agenda? Facebook just want's to connect you with stuff you're interested in? What a laugh!

Ping might be rudimentary at the moment, but I bet you in the end run it will be more open that Facebook is. Ping might have selling music as it's primary goal, but it's fairly upfront about that. You'd have to be an idiot not to see that this is the primary purpose of Ping right now.

Facebook on the other hand is purposely and resolutely duplicitous in almost everything it does. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the point where they even allowed you any privacy. They still haven't made it easy, in fact they have been purposely obfuscatory. The entire Facebook UI *reeks* of confusion and deception. At least Ping is transparent.

You're totally wrong about them 'being dragged kicking and screaming to do anything.' They've always had privacy controls. The issue was how easy it was to use them. The problem is how fine-grained control do you want to give people? There are a lot of dimensions to the issue. FB would like people to keep things relatively open and not succumb to paranoia, because if things are too locked down no one can find each other, no one can see each others posts. Its a delicate balance. FB erred on the side of giving people too much control. You could set everything, and scope it down in some very sophisticated ways. Privacy advocates complained that it was too confusing. Maybe so. I appreciated the flexibility.

And yes, FB DOES connect me with people. Its a great site. They're NOT trying to sell me things. They generate ad revenue the same way Google does, as I alluded to in my original post.

Ping is more like Amazon's reviewer community with a little connectivity thrown in. Its completely related to commerce. Its like "Walmart Buddies" or something. That's not a social network.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Facebook are just as controlling, if not more, than Apple. I'd definitely trust Facebook way less though. Even the CEO thinks we're: "dumb fucks". I closed my FB account 18 months ago, coincidentally - I've never looked back.

I couldn't agree more. Bernie Madoff has more ethics IMHO than Mark WhatsHisFacebook, and obviously that's not saying much.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of personal data that people are willing to share with complete and utter strangers. I guess I just don't get it.

Remember, kids. Just because your paranoid doesn't mean that someone's not watching you.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

I am friends with the family of someone who works for Facebook. Everything I've heard about the company is just sleaze. If you can imagine it, it's probably true.

A corporate culture is often the result of the founder, or those (think VC) that control and command them.