Apple sues 'HyperMac' accessory maker over MagSafe, iPod cables

Comments

• Reply 121 of 172
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Worse, file a court approved form with a bank, provide a copy of the judgement, and seize your assets or garnish your wages. All without you even having to be present if you lose your case.

And by the time it gets to this the judge would be pretty pissed off because the loser has failed to pay the judgement willingly.

It is you that is injecting the words enforce and force here. I didn't, and can't be held liable for your lack of knowledge for how the civil system actually works. So take your high-hobby horse language parsing elsewhere, it broke.

I think it comes down to when the civil case crosses over to a criminal case. That is where the gun comes into effect.

Cease and desist > failure to comply > contempt of court > under arrest
  • Reply 122 of 172
    Two things are true...

1. Apple doesn't license the MagSafe connector to third-parties

AND

2. Apple no longer sells any laptops with user-swappable batteries.

Imagine being on a trans-Pacific flight with your MacBook. Even with Apple's new battery technology you'd be lucky to get 4-5 hours of work time. So without a solution similar to HyperMac, you're out of luck. This is not consumer-friendly. In fact, it's Apple-centric and would 'seem' to be designed to protect Apple and not the users of their products.

On a side note, it's really sad how vitriolic some of the 'pro-Apple' posts on this list have become.
  • Reply 123 of 172
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Two things are true...

AND

Imagine being on a trans-Pacific flight with your MacBook. Even with Apple's new battery technology you'd be lucky to get 4-5 hours of work time. So without a solution similar to HyperMac, you're out of luck. This is not consumer-friendly. In fact, it's Apple-centric and would 'seem' to be designed to protect Apple and not the users of their products.

On a side note, it's really sad how vitriolic some of the 'pro-Apple' posts on this list have become.

If you are on a trans-pacific flight you should conserve your own biological resources. Sleep. This I know first hand.
  • Reply 124 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I tried and tried to find an external disposable battery charger in a local store and went empty-handed into the electricity-free camping zone. No plugging my iPhone into AA power.

Make your own -> Minty Boost: Portable USB power

Buy one -> Duracell Instant Charger

-> Duracell Powerhouse USB charger

-> Zen Universal Battery Charger

-> Portable Charger iPOD Touch Apple iPod or MP3 Player
  • Reply 125 of 172
    Quote:

Out of context, that may seem true. But in most cases they are in response to a few relentless trolls whose only purpose in posting is to trash anything and everything Apple. If you want to see vitriol, review some of their posts.
  • Reply 126 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron;

It's really too bad that Apple refuses to allow their proprietary connector to have much of an ecosystem.

It sounds to me like these products are in a woefully underserved category. I tried and tried to find an external disposable battery charger in a local store and went empty-handed into the electricity-free camping zone. No plugging my iPhone into AA power. No nothing until I got back with a dead phone and saw some obscure stuff on the 'web.

Apple's lockdowns and their proprietary ways both just plain suck.

A quick search online will show that there are an enormous amount of of USB socket battery powered chargers and solar chargers available in the US and around the world.

You just need this USB socket, and then plug in your iPhone USB cable into the iPhone on one end, and the other end into the USB socket of the battery pack.

Your statements above, appear to be 100% invalid.
  • Reply 127 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron;

Thank you.

And BTW, I was looking in a suburb of one of the top-10 biggest cities in the US. The suburb alone has a population of over 100k. I went to both a Radio Shack and a well-stocked specialty electronics store, as well as lesser, but more local possibilities, like Walgreens.

Nothing.

Did you look for a USB socket charger? There are also numerous, well-documented and available external battery packs for iPhone. Any Mac or iPhone related magazine will show many available brands and products.
  • Reply 128 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys;

You are just a mean ASS. Chill the hell out. The guy was making a comment and you say LIE and incompetent.

You need to take your meds and a nap.

Newtron was the first to post on this thread. I believe the post he made was highly incorrect due to the wide availability of iPhone external battery packs.

I do not think your accusations of someone to "take their meds" is appropriate.

Invalid and clearly incendiary posts on these forums are reducing the quality of our experience.
  • Reply 129 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, this thread is officially overrun by the troll army.

We should take the necessary steps to get rid of this problem.
  • Reply 130 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do tell! I want to hear all about this. This indeed IS something I know nothing about!

Yer a riot, kid. Please don't ever change.

This is an insubstantial post.
  • Reply 131 of 172
    Quote:

Two things are true...

AND

A quick search of the Apple store yields this result which will not charge your battery but will allow you to use your Macbook for the entire flight if needed. Cost is also reasonable IMO.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4NDgxNDk
  • Reply 132 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Would like to inform you that I intend file an official complaint to the site management for each of these kinds of posts that are made.

I have retracted this statement as it may be viewed as threat/ intimidation.
  • Reply 133 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

A quick search of the Apple store yields this result which will not charge your battery but will allow you to use your Macbook for the entire flight if needed. Cost is also reasonable IMO.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4NDgxNDk

I frequently fly long-haul, living in Hong Kong. Very few airlines have power sockets in economy, and those that do often have tickets that are twice as expensive.
  • Reply 134 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I frequently fly long-haul, living in Hong Kong. Very few airlines have power sockets in economy, and those that do often have tickets that are twice as expensive.

As a frequent traveler as well I know this to be somewhat true but in that case you cannot use any laptop for such extended periods including Windows PCs so this is not a issue that Apple should be bashed for.

I can say that my Macbook Pro will yield a solid 6+ hours of use vs. my PC which I'm lucky to get 3 hours of use.
  • Reply 135 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Who says the products are banned? Why is everyone, including the moderator taking the unfounded word of a known BS artist like Newtron as gospel? He's factually incorrect on every point.

Further proof: http://www.quickertek.com/products/apple_juicz.php

Apple doesn't license the magsafe adaptor so if manufacturers make knock-offs, they violate the patent and if they use Apple's own parts, they don't like that either. If Apple are suing this maker, they have every reason to sue any and every other manufacturer selling magsafe-compatible products because they have to be building them one way or the other, both without a license.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42

As for iOS devices, solutions are plentiful since is uses the industry defacto standard iPod dock connector for which there are a plethora of devices. I can recharge my iPad with a $25 eneloop battery pack and a standard iPod cable.

Ok, that pretty much limits the issue to just magsafe devices and I agree a camping trip is not a great example but if it applies to all magsafe products that 3rd party manufacturers can make, it's not a good thing.
  • Reply 136 of 172
    Quote:

As a frequent traveler as well I know this to be somewhat true but in that case you cannot use any laptop for such extended periods including Windows PCs so this is not a issue that Apple should be bashed for.

I can say that my Macbook Pro will yield a solid 6+ hours of use vs. my PC which I'm lucky to get 3 hours of use.

Except their argument is that with a PC, you can just swap out a fresh battery.
  • Reply 137 of 172
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Except their argument is that with a PC, you can just swap out a fresh battery.

But that would still equate to having the same battery life as the Mac. 2 PC batteries = 6 hours = one charge on MacBook Pro. So for PC users they would have to bring 2 extra batteries to get an advantage over the Mac.

However I hope this Magsafe thing is clarified, do we know for sure whether Apple licenses it or not? Maybe Apple is annoyed in this case that they are using actual Apple parts.
  • Reply 138 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But that would still equate to having the same battery life as the Mac. 2 PC batteries = 6 hours = one charge on MacBook Pro. So for PC users they would have to bring 2 extra batteries to get an advantage over the Mac.

Its great when you can smash down the strawman that you painstakingly built.

Not all PC's have the same battery life as your example. In fact, some have much longer battery lives. If I have an ASUS UL80, I could get over 8hrs of general usage out of one battery. Two batteries would get me through a long haul trip quite comfortably.
  • Reply 139 of 172
    Don't sue them, buy them!
  • Reply 140 of 172
    I just want to add that Hypermac does plainly state that they are using actual purchased Apple magsafe adaptors. They do not present them as their own.

I just got back from Africa, and their product functioned very well. It was crucial in a safari setting.

Additionally, I have tried to use the airline flight adaptor in the past. Very problematic.

Regardless of the outcome of this suit, I am glad I got mine.