RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes their were Tablets before the iPad but they weren't as popular. Then comes Apple with the iPad and it Spins the world like crazy and now we have all this competitors trying to bring out the so called "iPad Killer". IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN PEOPLE LET IT GO!!!

That is what capitalism is all about competition from the other companies involved with i pads.Let them all compete.
  • Reply 42 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What? A new OS? Another app store? How many OSs will app developers support?

They will write once and be able to compile for all the popular platforms. Seemingly, Apple will be included now that they have revised their submission guidelines.
  • Reply 43 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

the same audience as their new smart phone ... i.e. they have no clue who the hell their audience is anymore!

And yet, they outsell Apple year in, year out.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

What are you 10 years old?

60 years old? Is it nap time grumpypuss?

• Reply 45 of 144
    Another "iPad-Killer." LOL

This will be great for all of those who want to gain access to RIM's vibrant ecosystem.

Oh, wait, RIM doesn't have a vibrant ecosystem.
  • Reply 46 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile re iPad, it seems fair to me that Apple fans can mock wannabe iPads to their heart's content here on a Mac forum. Especially when you consider the crap they had to take on this very forum from PC fans who stated ad nauseum 'Apple iPad will be an epic fail'. Just my 2 cents

This attitude is typical of 10 year olds.

But consumers of electronics? WTF?

Do people take product comments as personal attacks on the very core of their being? Do they need to plot their revenge? Do they feel better if they can cite advantages of their brand or product over another?

Bitter mocking? About hunks of plastic and steel and glass?
  • Reply 47 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oh, wait, RIM doesn't have a vibrant ecosystem.

Yes they do. You can buy Blackberry accessories in pretty much every outlet that sells iPhone accessories.

Don't forget that Blackberries outsell iPhones by a huge margin.
  • Reply 48 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The business community they have locked up.

I don't think that it's as locked up as people think. iPads & iPhones are finding their way into corporate environments pretty consistently now. It especially seems to be finding a place among sales people and people who are out on the floor with customers (like at car dealers).

I think that RIM has been very slow to react to the change to more modern (touch screen) phones -- so there's a fair amount of phone envy built up on among Blackberry users.

The biggest thing that seems to tie them to their Blackberries is the physical keyboard (and maybe the Blackberry e-mail infrastructure).
  • Reply 49 of 144
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    It will be interesting to see what rimm comes up with and how their os works, especially their browser, since I have heard surfing on a blackberry is a bit of a pain.

It will also be interesting to see how many and what platforms will be successful and supported because my feelings are that it isn't just the device but the integration of the os with it's ecosystem. This is where Apple and Android have a big advantage.

How many black pads need to be sold for it to be considered a success/failure. Just some off the cuff numbers without anything to really back them up, if rimm introduces the black pad soon, if they sell less than 250,000 by the end of the year, I will consider it's initial intro a failure. If it sells more than a million, I would consider it a success. Anything in between, for me, will be a wait and see.
  • Reply 50 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really, how different can they make it? I'm pretty sure my flat panel TV looks a lot like yours and probably not the same brand. If RIMs tablet looks anything unlike the iPad you'll say "what an ugly POS" and if it resembles an iPad you'll say "omg they copied Apple design". Form factor is gonna get copied so get over it.

Mmmmm.. so by your logic Apple would have come out with iPads, iPhones and MacBooks that look like existing form factors or at least concepts of existing form factors. You don't buy into the idea that someone like Ives actually breaks with existing conventional designs all the time? Perhaps Apple's designs are so 'just right' you see them as the ultimate designs that cannot be improved upon? If so I'd point out Apple continuously scraps existing and sometimes still very successful designs for the next 'radical design concept'.

I couldn't disagree with you more, IMHO design is never at the 'final stage' but currently only Apple seem capable of seeing past the current to the next step, be it hardware or software.

Far from 'getting over it', I relish the next great designs, be they flat panel TVs or toasters, that breaks with all we know and accept, whoever it is from if it is truly a game changer. I love industrial design, but that's just me, I guess you are easily satisfied with the status quo.
  • Reply 51 of 144
    The BlackPad will have a bigger wider hard drive, will run at faster speeds, and will work well with other's I/O ports.
  • Reply 52 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In my 71 years, one of the most valuable lessons was to enjoy lifes little pleasures.

Not as many years as yours but the sentiment is the same.

For those who are worried about what Apple is going to do about this "latest threat", please bear in mind that Apple already has new products in development, and that Apple is a moving target, not a static one. Most prognosticators - especially in here on both sides of the discussion - treat the current system as the target to hit. In reality, its already baked and delivered - Apple has moved on already development-wise and is working anything from one to three years ahead of the current systems. Think about it - that means that the iPhone 4 was already in the lab when the 3G hit the streets - for example. And that's just with existing platforms. Imagine what is in the lab that is new.

On another tack, it would be interesting to compare what RIM is offering platform-wise for this new device - because they already have a small ecosystem for their existing smartphone devices - to the other major players. Because to focus just on the device hardware category as something to deliver to, will be to fall in the same trap that crippled inital tablet devices in the PC class.

This is where so much of what the device makers are doing is silly - just tossing off a quick 7 incher because you can, doesn't make it a viable platform to the average consumer if it doesn't have a compelling user experience/ecosystem. Again, with Google trying to steer device makers away from using Android for the tablet formats, it creates a conflict and they will need to ramp up the ChromeOS ecosystem if they expect to address the popularity of the iPad ecosystem. Otherwise the device makers are perfectly happy leveraging Android as-is in order to use the existing ecosystem to drives sales.
  • Reply 53 of 144
    Quote:

Yes they do. You can buy Blackberry accessories in pretty much every outlet that sells iPhone accessories.

Don't forget that Blackberries outsell iPhones by a huge margin.

You seem to have misunderstood.
  • Reply 54 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spunkybart View Post

The biggest thing that seems to tie them to their Blackberries is the physical keyboard (and maybe the Blackberry e-mail infrastructure).

The email and BBM are each important to RIM users, as I understand it.
  • Reply 55 of 144
    People, and especially tech people, get way too obsessed with specs. Consumers want to know what it does on the screen, not behind it.

Ever go to a Best Buy or Apple store and watch people use the iPads? Nine times out of ten they are playing games. They know it will surf the web, but they can do that on their computers, they want to know what the thing does that they can't do now.

Apps are what sells the iPad, and other manufacturers can bring out tablets with better specs, but it won't really matter much if it's only sales point is that it has ports, a hard drive or a faster processor -- those things count on laptops.

Because of this, I think the way to go is to build in streaming and other media capabilities right into the tablet -- don't depend on the developers because they are busy building for iOS (and Android).
  • Reply 56 of 144
    Quote:

And yet, they outsell Apple year in, year out.

They have been in the market longer, and have an entrenched user base that is experiencing erosion from the competing platforms. Based as their current systems/devices are in their original pager/email delivery models - this has been a significant shift for them. Look at how they struggled to get the new Storm out and try to address both their entrenched users and regular consumer demands for an iPhone-like interface. Remember, they have also been trying to shift the profitability from the devices to the systems/services delivery side. BES servers are a strong revenue stream for them on the enterprise side - just like Microsoft has with enterprise server/.Net, Office and Windows desktop. It would be interesting to see how RIMs profitability breaks down between the consumer and enterprise markets.
  • Reply 57 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Look at how they struggled to get the new Storm out and try to address both their entrenched users and regular consumer demands for an iPhone-like interface. .

I didn't follow that. What struggle did they have?
  • Reply 58 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Real creative name there: Blackpad. I wonder where they got the idea from?

Remember when all the new tablets were being called 'slates' because the rumor back then was that Apple was going to call their tablet the 'iSlate' and then they didn't?

Ya, that was awesome... or something.
  • Reply 59 of 144

If someone using Apple's Tablet is said to be "iPadding"...

• Reply 60 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Come on, RiM, your great management has been propping up your lackluster innovation and reluctance to change with the times. Please have something great for us as I want to invest with you once again.