strange macbook pro boot problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help. I've got a first generation Macbook Pro and just today it started being onry. This is the problem: I was just surfing the when all my current programs crashed. I decided to resart cause this was wierd. As the system is booting up, it gets past the apple, screen turns blue, then the shade of blue screen changes slightly twice, then the desktop image appears hangs for a second, then the screen turns blue again, then the shade of blue screen changes slightly twice, then the desktop images appears and hangs for a second, and like this over and over again.

I've restarted many times, repaired the disk from the OSX CD, booted with command option p-r, what else should I try?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Just reinstall the OS clean. You're not gonna be able to repair this from the disk if you've already tried.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just reinstall the OS clean. You're not gonna be able to repair this from the disk if you've already tried.

If it wasn't for some important photos and files, I would just start everything over! Is there any way to transfer files or recover them through time machine or something before or after I reinstall the OS?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tytyburns View Post

If it wasn't for some important photos and files, I would just start everything over! Is there any way to transfer files or recover them through time machine or something before or after I reinstall the OS?

I'd just put the thing in FireWire Target Disk Mode with another computer or take the drive out and just plug it into something else to get those files.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tytyburns View Post

If you have a Time Machine backup, all of your files (with some exceptions that aren't actually 'important') are backed up and are currently accessible and will remain so after a fresh install (or restore).