RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1st post woot. Will be looking forward to how this RIM pad plays out.

I have a feeling that will be no where of note. Not because it sucks but because of timing. Unless they announced it and it hits stores the next day then by the time it does hit stores the ipad will be so entrenched that no one will make any headway. By the time they might, a bigger and badder ipad will release and they will lose ground again.

Sure they might grab a few of the "I refuse to buy anything Apple makes" crowd and a few of the "Flash rules everything around me" crowd but in the end, the mass cut is folks that are fine and dandy with the ipad that are already buying before this thing goes 'tickle me elmo' on them
  • Reply 102 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What I always find the most interesting in this is not that Apple is at 260 billion but that Microsoft actually dropped from over 500 billion.

I would expect Apple to be at 260 because they are doing everything well at this point and selling very well. What always gets me is how badly Microsoft has dropped over the years.

Here's MSFT for the Last 10 years:

And AAPL:

• Reply 103 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Sure they might grab a few of the "I refuse to buy anything Apple makes" crowd and a few of the "Flash rules everything around me" crowd

What about the "I've been a RIM customer like forever, I love my Blackberry, and this thing looks really cool" crowd?

There are a lot more RIM customers than there are iPhone customers.
  • Reply 104 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

What about the "I've been a RIM customer like forever, I love my Blackberry, and this thing looks really cool" crowd?

There are a lot more RIM customers than there are iPhone customers.

And most of them got that way by being legacy business customers who prize having a pocketable business communications device that does a great job of handling messaging.

There's nothing to suggest that customer base is hankering for a tablet that does the same thing except without the pocketability, or, if they want a tablet that does different things differently, explains why they wouldn't just get a tablet that does those things really well.

It was a short hop from the iPhone/Mac to the iPad, with an emphasis on ease of use, rich media experience, and customer pleasing emphasis on carefully integrated hardware and software.

What is it about the "Blackberry experience" that calls out for a tablet version, other than all the cool kids are doing it? The whole point is that you can keep your email and messaging in your pocket.
  • Reply 105 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Some prior threads (now dead) were discussing market share vs profits. Here's another source:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/...strys-profits/

Thanks for those. I love charts!
  • Reply 106 of 144
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But no sex. I'll pass.

What are you ....British?
  • Reply 107 of 144
    Quote:

And AAPL:

I could be wrong because I didn't pull up the data before posting this but I think Microsoft had a market cap drop of about 250 billion from 1999 to 2001. From about 580 to 315 or so.

If I am right on those numbers talk about a fall from grace.
  • Reply 108 of 144

?Your company motto is ?Don?t be evil.? Right now your stock price is $513. How low will it have to go before you say ?that?s it, we?re going with evil.??

? Stephen Colbert to Google CEO Eric Schmidt

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/

• Reply 109 of 144
    If RIM's making a Blackberry tablet, then I hope it has a physical keyboard!

Y'know, like Speak N Spell.

• Reply 110 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

If RIM's making a Blackberry tablet, then I hope it has a physical keyboard!

Y'know, like Speak N Spell.

Here's the latest that they have announced:

The guy at the ATT store said they are selling well. It seems to have both a physical keyboard and a full sized touchscreen.

My guess is that because RIM know what it is doing WRT physical keyboards, it will surprise us WRT its tablet.
  • Reply 111 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I could be wrong because I didn't pull up the data before posting this but I think Microsoft had a market cap drop of about 250 billion from 1999 to 2001. From about 580 to 315 or so.

If I am right on those numbers talk about a fall from grace.

Yes, MS? cap was over double what it is now, but remember that was all false inflation from the dotCom boom that made it so. What those graphs are really showing are a steady and consistence climb for Apple and stagnation for MS (when you factor in extra-market affects on those companies.

If Apple had nothing but vapourware with lofty promises and/or a huge E/P then I would fear that Apple?s growth bubble will pop, but as shareholders we know that their E/P isn?t egregious, that their earnings back up their growth rate, and that aren?t likely to even acknowledge a product?s existence until it?s almost ready to ship (or at least the contracts for components and manufacturing have been inked, even if there are occasional hiccups). Take Palm, for example, I wish I would have bought them for the short term when they announced WebOS. They jumped 14x in about 5-6 months, but that dropped after they couldn?t deliver on actual sales and profit.

PS: MS? still makes more profit than Apple, and as of the last earnings made slightly more revenue. That isn?t to last long based on current trends, but I would not count MS out when they have so much control and profit to make a huge comeback if they get their internal structure and management issues resolved. They may be a slow and inefficient giant, but it will take a lot to bring down this giant. At this point MS is more immobilized* than hurt.

* Pun intended in referring to their inability to be dominate on smartphones and tablets.
  • Reply 112 of 144
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

RIM is not Samsung or one of these upstart pad maker. Take them seriously or suffer.

Blackberry Torch
  • Reply 113 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why so defensive? Nobody said anything about an "iPad killer." Do you simply expect all companies to sit back and say, "Well, the iPad dominates the tablet market. Let's not try to get a share of that"? What if Apple had said, "Windows dominates the PC market. Let's forget this Mac garbage. We'll never beat them"?

Even when Apple's MacOS 9 was getting trounced by Windows, Steve Jobs did not rush OS X to market. He spent a few years getting the first serviceable version out the door (and continued to make it better). Then Apple spent a long time on iPhone, iPad, etc.

The problem with most of these companies is they are rushing their tablet or phone responses to market. For example, this whole Nokia N8 delay has me particularly in stitches. Delaying by just a few weeks to improve the customer experience?!?!? They should have had both a hardware and software freeze long before getting to the "few weeks before shipping" phase, assuming the device can be updated later. (If not, then they are in big trouble.) And RIM is investigating a new OS for its tablet. Really? And this is a device that's coming THIS YEAR?!?!?

Until some company has the $$$, vision, taste, and (above all) patience to obsess for years over a device and get it right (like Apple does) they are going to have a hard time even matching the polish of the Apple offerings, let alone exceed them.

Thompson
  • Reply 114 of 144
    Quote:

And yet, they outsell Apple year in, year out.

Comparison of the first derivatives don't look good for RIM. Neither does the anecdotal data coming from corporations that are testing whether to move to iPhone from Blackberry.

Thompson
  • Reply 115 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Comparison of the first derivatives don't look good for RIM. Neither does the anecdotal data coming from corporations that are testing whether to move to iPhone from Blackberry.

Thompson

I agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence, but the second is not something I've really followed. I've seen a few second-hand anecdotal claims, but nothing more substantial. From everything I've seen RIM has little to worry about in the enterprise market.

Not at present, anyways. But as you indicate, the trends don't look so good.

Then again, vis-a-vis Android, iOS trends don't look so good either, and I have no doubt that Apple will continue to be successful for a long time.

This mobile phone market is very exciting. Throwing tablets into the mix makes it even more so.
  • Reply 116 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Videos would be better widescreen. But website browsing on landscape mode on iPad is just nice, I think.

Agreed, and I would note also that if making the iPad (or competitor) a 16:9 aspect ratio involves shaving off a few inches of glass top and bottom when in landscape mode (as opposed to increasing the other dimension and making a larger, heavier, device) then I would rather see the black pixels above and below while watching the video. At least I would know that those black pixels would be put to good use as soon as I close the movie.

:-)

Thompson
  • Reply 117 of 144
    Quote:

And AAPL:

It's even more impressive when you realize that, unlike the Microsoft chart, the Apple chart is a logarithmic scale.
  • Reply 118 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

The smart thing to do is to respect all competition. Arrogance breeds complacency and ultimate defeat. Apple needs to study this RIM product very carefully and work to counter any advantages that it may have. RIM is not Samsung or one of these upstart pad maker. Take them seriously or suffer.

Apple ain't got to do jack s***! RIM is obviously jumping on the bandwagon because they have to stay competitive. yet their Blackpad ain't going to do anything to the ipad. Apple's roots are in engineering and software. That sh** is in their DNA.

But good luck to RIM though.
  • Reply 119 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

It's even more impressive when you realize that, unlike the Microsoft chart, the Apple chart is a logarithmic scale.

Man oh man. Why does this sort of thing happen so often?
  • Reply 120 of 144
    Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence, but the second is not something I've really followed. I've seen a few second-hand anecdotal claims, but nothing more substantial. From everything I've seen RIM has little to worry about in the enterprise market.

You should visit this link everyday: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

not necessarily to track the stock information, but for the headlines that appear below. There have been many significant articles recently about the iPhone's encroachment in the enterprise. Those headlines change hourly, and there's nothing apropos there right now. You can seek back through history, if you had the time or inkling, or you could just trust me.

And from a first-hand standpoint, my current employer, SAIC, just approved iPhone 4 for work use. My colleagues are swarming.

Thompson