Apple's iOS holds strong as Android's enterprise presence surges

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While Google's Android mobile operating system has seen a fivefold increase in availability in the corporate market over the last nine months, Apple's presence with iOS has held strong and still nearly doubles that of Android.

New data revealed Wednesday by ChangeWave Research shows that Android has gone from just a 3 percent availability in the corporate market in November 2009 to 16 percent in August 2010. From May 2010 to August 2010 alone, the presence of Google's operating system grew from 10 percent to 16 percent.

But during the same period from May to August, Apple's iOS -- which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch -- managed to grow in the enterprise market as well, from 30 percent in the spring to 31 percent in the summer.

Most of the growth of Android and iOS has come at the expense of the corporate leader, Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS. Though it still carries more than double the corporate market presence of Apple's iOS, BlackBerry fell 3 percent -- from 69 percent to 66 percent -- between May 2010 and August 2010.

Other, smaller competitors also lost availability, with Microsoft's Windows mobile dipping from 10 percent to 9 percent in the three-month span, and devices from Palm shrinking from 7 percent to 6 percent.

The survey of 1,602 corporate IT buyers asked the question: "Which mobile operating systems are used on the smartphones your company currently provides?"

The survey also found evidence that even more change could be coming to the corporate smartphone market in the near future, as 35 percent of respondents said they plan to buy new smartphones next quarter.

In July, another survey from ChangeWave fund that in the general market, Apple's iPhone was killing interest in RIM's BlackBerry. It also found that consumers are more satisfied with the iPhone than with Android handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Am I the only one that get's a little sad at how often Newtron is the first one to post in a new thread? I wish we could stop this. Can't someone give the poor man a job?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Am I the only one that get's a little sad at how often Newtron is the first one to post in a new thread? I wish we could stop this. Can't someone give the poor man a job?

<plonk>
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:

Actually, probably just ignoring him is better, putting him on the ignore list.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple could never really compete in the enterprise. Now it seems that they are stagnating, but with much larger penetration than they ever achieved with the Mac.

And this is based on what?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Yes, but Blackberry has been running TV commercials during prime time with actors portraying ordinary users proclaiming how much they "love" their BBM. There's no corporate sales message in those ads whatsoever. I think RIM is trying to grow their share of the consumer market.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I expect Apple to continue to hold steady. The 'genius' of both iOS and Android is that they are mostly IT support free. Sure then environment needs to be ready for them.. but other than some server setup.. (a long weekend for any Exchange admin) almost every device is self provisioned with word spreading among those who know how to set it up (if a user can't do it themselves).

This is why RIM will keep bleeding out. Microsoft, as always, is late to the market.. and mirroring other successful players. (think about the Xbox mirroring the PS2)

So who wins? Well, this isn't a game for winning and losing. Blackberry obviously hemorrhages and eventually is relegated to 'ultra legacy-hood' (much like IBM mainframes)

Who eats their lunch? Apple? Google? Microsoft? Hardly. We do. The consumer eats their lunch and the market place makes just enough room for Palm and Microsoft to maintain 5-9% market share.. with the other 3 players each splitting the remainder. What that means for those of you who aren't good at math.. is that Apple is already bouncing off the technical ceiling in terms of market share in comparable products.

So next question.. where does Apple go from here?

Well obviously everyone is diversifying their device pool.. in hopes to carve up more micro-marketing groups.. (young teens, jetset business travelers, netbook replacements etc.) but those are all obvious moves... and nobody is doing those obvious moves more predictably then Google. Apple on the other hand is still tripping on how powerful their media empire is. The real question is.. who makes the next risky move? An advertising powered contract? An iAd that gives you cell minute? A Facebook App that lets you make wifi calls for free?

These are all game changers and the players and field are still being defined in a minute by minute hour by hour debate in board rooms at Apple, Microsoft, Google, and even RIM.

I expect the iOS platform to continue to crush the user experience on Droid.. why? Usability. But conversely I expect the power of Droid devices to continue to trounce iOS.

So next step? Well if you are Apple.. you keep making the iPad rock. You make it rock until everyone has one... they are good at this.. and unless they royally screw up.. they rock out with their iPad out.. and make everyone eat the digital dust well into next summer. They plug Facebooks holes and continue to push Ping/FaceTime and other 'draft' technologies into the mainstream.. then they bridge the desktop divide with a new iChat in their next OS release... giving Facetime via Email legs.

If you are Google, you pray that you can innovate in the network application space the way they did 4 years ago. If they don't get another 'bubble' brewing.. they are going to drown in their own kool-aid. It's all great to say more devices = more users.. but more is not always better.. free apps has to give way to a marketplace which is sustainable.. and that marketplace is going to only get more twisted as the line between content, application, and service are all blurred. Google has a lot of brand image repair to conduct.. because the tech crowd doesn't always drive mass opinion.. they'd just like to think they do.

Go ask an 9 year old what they want. It isn't droid. Go ask a 15 y/o what they want.. still isn't droid. See? You can't just play the marketplace as if you can force adoption from the top down.. it takes battling on all fronts just to make a dent. (hence the ceiling over Apple until iPad is everywhere)

iDunno.. it's a fun match to watch.. but I think Apple is making their position stronger and stronger all the time while Droid is getting bigger.. but thinner.. less meat and potatoes and more 'good enough'. Whatever it takes to get to market... This reminds me of all the quick to market iPhone wanna-bes that popped up.. and then died. It's the same game again.. only with an OS.

We'll see how it pans out this Xmas. Survey says.. iPod touch and iPad carry the day.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    it will take over the enterprise market¡
  • Reply 8 of 48
    "Apple is holding strong" ? Looks more like Apple is losing ground. Wake up and smell the roses. Enterprise penetration is key now that they lost the consumer market share.

If Apple wants the iPhone to be a niche product in the smartphone business then fine but I think they can and should do better.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

I expect Apple to continue to hold steady. The 'genius' of both iOS and Android is that they are mostly IT support free. Sure then environment needs to be ready for them.. but other than some server setup.. (a long weekend for any Exchange admin) almost every device is self provisioned with word spreading among those who know how to set it up (if a user can't do it themselves).

This is why RIM will keep bleeding out. Microsoft, as always, is late to the market.. and mirroring other successful players. (think about the Xbox mirroring the PS2)

So who wins? Well, this isn't a game for winning and losing. Blackberry obviously hemorrhages and eventually is relegated to 'ultra legacy-hood' (much like IBM mainframes)

Who eats their lunch? Apple? Google? Microsoft? Hardly. We do. The consumer eats their lunch and the market place makes just enough room for Palm and Microsoft to maintain 5-9% market share.. with the other 3 players each splitting the remainder. What that means for those of you who aren't good at math.. is that Apple is already bouncing off the technical ceiling in terms of market share in comparable products.

So next question.. where does Apple go from here?

Well obviously everyone is diversifying their device pool.. in hopes to carve up more micro-marketing groups.. (young teens, jetset business travelers, netbook replacements etc.) but those are all obvious moves... and nobody is doing those obvious moves more predictably then Google. Apple on the other hand is still tripping on how powerful their media empire is. The real question is.. who makes the next risky move? An advertising powered contract? An iAd that gives you cell minute? A Facebook App that lets you make wifi calls for free?

These are all game changers and the players and field are still being defined in a minute by minute hour by hour debate in board rooms at Apple, Microsoft, Google, and even RIM.

I expect the iOS platform to continue to crush the user experience on Droid.. why? Usability. But conversely I expect the power of Droid devices to continue to trounce iOS.

So next step? Well if you are Apple.. you keep making the iPad rock. You make it rock until everyone has one... they are good at this.. and unless they royally screw up.. they rock out with their iPad out.. and make everyone eat the digital dust well into next summer. They plug Facebooks holes and continue to push Ping/FaceTime and other 'draft' technologies into the mainstream.. then they bridge the desktop divide with a new iChat in their next OS release... giving Facetime via Email legs.

If you are Google, you pray that you can innovate in the network application space the way they did 4 years ago. If they don't get another 'bubble' brewing.. they are going to drown in their own kool-aid. It's all great to say more devices = more users.. but more is not always better.. free apps has to give way to a marketplace which is sustainable.. and that marketplace is going to only get more twisted as the line between content, application, and service are all blurred. Google has a lot of brand image repair to conduct.. because the tech crowd doesn't always drive mass opinion.. they'd just like to think they do.

Go ask an 9 year old what they want. It isn't droid. Go ask a 15 y/o what they want.. still isn't droid. See? You can't just play the marketplace as if you can force adoption from the top down.. it takes battling on all fronts just to make a dent. (hence the ceiling over Apple until iPad is everywhere)

iDunno.. it's a fun match to watch.. but I think Apple is making their position stronger and stronger all the time while Droid is getting bigger.. but thinner.. less meat and potatoes and more 'good enough'. Whatever it takes to get to market... This reminds me of all the quick to market iPhone wanna-bes that popped up.. and then died. It's the same game again.. only with an OS.

We'll see how it pans out this Xmas. Survey says.. iPod touch and iPad carry the day.

Great post. In regards to your last statement I think the iPod Touch will do well this Xmas because of the update, I fear that rumors of a new update in late Jan with the iPad could impact Xmas sales. Then again how much depends on what percentage of iPad users want a built in cam with Facetime.

As for the Smartphone market I expect iOS and Android to continue to do well beating down RIM over time and killing anything Noika might offer up and Windows Mobile will stay dead in the water.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Apple could never really compete in the enterprise. Now it seems that they are stagnating, but with much larger penetration than they ever achieved with the Mac.

31% of an pie ever increasing in size isn't stagnating. It means total unit sales have gone up. Or are you the type of guy who thinks 50% of a million is better than 30% of 3 million?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

I could care less who posts first although I do find it funny that there do seem to be at least a couple of folks that get some thrill from "being first" (to comment that is).

I do really doubt that in this case there is some ulterior motive - if so maybe you could enlighten us to what that might be. Enquiring minds want to know. lol
  • Reply 12 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Great post. In regards to your last statement I think the iPod Touch will do well this Xmas because of the update, I fear that rumors of a new update in late Jan with the iPad could impact Xmas sales. Then again how much depends on what percentage of iPad users want a built in cam with Facetime.

Right now the iPad is still hot product. I don't think having a camera/FaceTime will matter this year. Your average buyer goes with what he/she sees.

Quote:

As for the Smartphone market I expect iOS and Android to continue to do well beating down RIM over time and killing anything Noika might offer up and Windows Mobile will stay dead in the water.

I agree with you on this.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    128%

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Apple is not interested in the enterprise market. Never has been.

How exactly are they stagnating? Because to say that you would have to be completely unaware of Apple sales figures, profits, and market value.

I work in IT Security for a very large, very well know international company and have worked in IT security in the financial industry for years. This company and many others will never use Android for the same reason they won't use other Google products. They are highly insecure and Google monitors users activities and sells their data. But iPhones are taking off in a big way here and many other companies I know of. Well known companies that buy quality, not whatever half baked phone is selling cheap this week. So as usual Apple has the primo market and Android can have the rest. It's not like they are actually making much money from it plus the carriers are already raping Android. Once the iPhone is on other carriers you will see many more sold to corporations.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

"Apple is holding strong" ? Looks more like Apple is losing ground. Wake up and smell the roses. Enterprise penetration is key now that they lost the consumer market share.

If Apple wants the iPhone to be a niche product in the smartphone business then fine but I think they can and should do better.

You have some research to do. Because facts don't bear out your statements. They just make you look foolish. Here's a hint. Market share is not the be all and end all. Here's another one. Apple is only on AT&T right now. Hey I've got third..look at what happened to Android share in europe after the iPhone was on all the carriers there.

Your welcome.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And this is based on what?

Not anything like data or facts. Maybe he dreamed it.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Right now the iPad is still hot product. I don't think having a camera/FaceTime will matter this year. Your average buyer goes with what he/she sees.

I agree with you on this.

The iPad is still hot and I think the update in November will have some nice added benefits. I know for me it will.

I don't see other Tablets coming to market if they even come to market by Xmax having any real impact. Not sure why everyone else is picking a 7" Tablet either.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

What's the basis for your thought? or lack thereof?

Apple managed to get 31% market on one carrier alone, and you call that unable to compete? Many companies can't adopt iPhone simply because their existing wireless contract is with another carrier. Once this situation changes, iPhone's market penetration will no doubt increase again.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

He has a job all right. He's being paid by google and what google probably doesn't know by micro$oft as well. Just to keep us entertained. I think his posts are usually so far off that I have to laugh a lot, which I often hear, is supposed to be healthy.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Actually, probably just ignoring him is better, putting him on the ignore list.

I have, doesn't keep his name from popping up......