NBC strongly opposed to Apple's 99 cent iTunes rental model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    They are okay with $1.99 for a TV show sale, but not okay with a 99¢ TV show rental. This isn’t unique to NBC! Doesn’t this say that these networks aren’t really expecting much in the way of repeat viewing?
  • Reply 22 of 87
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Why does the last-place network think its programming is worth the most?

Napoleon complex at it's finest...
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

NBC eventually caved to the popularity of the iTunes Store, signing back on with the service to sell its standard definition content for $1.99 an episode and HD content for $2.99 an episode less than a year later.

NBC will eventually cave into this as well. It may not happen today, tomorrow, or next month, but they will once you see ABC and FOX make money off A.tv..That's if they make money off A.tv
  • Reply 24 of 87
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    NBC Universal has been making boneheaded decisions for ages now. The worst was probably putting Zucker in charge of programming. I'll never forgive him for destroying Surface by pre-empting it half the time. It wasn't the greatest show, but it had potential and momentum, at least before they screwed it up. Others would say he was an idiot for that whole fiasco with their awful Jay Leno primetime experiment and the way they bungled Conan. And of course, Universal steadfastly backed HD DVD and refused to support Blu-ray. So how did that work out for you guys, Universal?
  • Reply 25 of 87
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Hulu was founded in March 2007 by NBC Universal and News Corp..........Not really sure how that fails to make it into this story,
  • Reply 26 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Big surprise. NBC and Apple have been at odds for a long time. It will only get worse if the Comcast/NBC merger happens. Really bad for consumers.

Jeff Zucker is a schmuck who should have been axed a long time ago.

Yeah but can you really blame them???

If your not a consumer that buys but watches, you can go to almost any network site and watch the content for free. Thus the lack of flash on the ipad and iPhone. They could make it work if they wanted. Even if it meant plugging in your phone to an outlet, they could make it happen. In fact Tom Tom uses more battery than movies yet you never hear people complain and since the 3GS, the phone has been fast enough. With iPhone; it's a no brained. I hope many dint join and get HTML 5 to work as free is always better.

Blessings.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

NBC Universal has been making boneheaded decisions for ages now. The worst was probably putting Zucker in charge of programming.........

....Others would say he was an idiot for that whole fiasco with their awful Jay Leno primetime experiment and the way they bungled Conan. And of course, Universal steadfastly backed HD DVD and refused to support Blu-ray. So how did that work out for you guys, Universal?

It's hard to understand how he survived all this. Didn't he retool Today to be more like Regis ? Or was that someone else?
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Im confused though, ABC made an app that lets me go and watch all their shows, well at least the ones worth watching. Why would I even want to rent??? Make an app, throw in a few commercials like ABC does and call it a day.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    None if the networks want to see media fall apart like the music biz. It, for the most par, will always be network controlled.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

."

For NBC and Zucker, this isn't the first time they've entered into a stalemate with Apple over digital download pricing on the iTunes Store. After accounting for roughly 40% of video downloads through the service in 2007, the network abruptly pulled its video library from iTunes after Apple wouldn't agree to a reported 100% increase in the wholesale price of each show.

During an October 2007 breakfast hosted by Syracuse?s Newhouse School of Communications, Zucker even went as far as to single out Apple for 'destroying' music pricing and urged his colleagues to take a stand against the company's iTunes Store, alleging that the service was undermining the ability of traditional media companies to set profitable rates for their content online.

NBC eventually caved to the popularity of the iTunes Store, signing back on with the service to sell its standard definition content for $1.99 an episode and HD content for $2.99 an episode less than a year later.

• Reply 30 of 87
    What's wrong with these guys? Don't they get that the rental cost can be a downpayment?

So you pay 99 cents to rent an episode. You like it. You'd like to see it later, over and over again, but your claim to the show has expired. But no need to sniffle, because NBC will sell it to you, for only an extra buck. And guess what?, if you like the series, NBC will sell you that too, because they're such nice guys, and you can download it, or pay for the bells-and-whistles on a blu-ray and have it shipped to you, and again, the 99 cents is a downpayment. Heck, maybe they'll even throw in a free rental of another show that they're sure you'll like.

Whoever said these guys are schmucks got it absolutely right. There's an opportunity here to get completely out of the thrall of their advertisers, to sell even more of their content, and they don't even see it.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Why does the last-place network think its programming is worth the most?

Did eveyone miss the part about NBC being responsible for 40% on iTunes?
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How is Apple TV different from TiVo? TiVo can record shows automatically and people don't need to rent the shows. I'd rather have a DVR than Apple TV regarding TV shows.

NBC is just missing out on free money. Idiots. I'd consider renting a show for a quarter and that still seems high for something I can record free with a DVR. Advertisements can be fast forwarded and deleted if the show is kept on a computer.

Finally. Someone that gets it and it can be HD too plus the future is the net, webisides, etc and FREE lrigrammingv
  • Reply 33 of 87
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    No problem, I guess i will continu to get those nbc shows for free and start paying for abc and disney ones.

There old business model is out with me because i PVR everything then watch and FF the ads.

Nbc will be getting the full BT treatment for shows I cant get on my pvr. I miss chuck this week, too bad for them, its getting Dl right now.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are okay with $1.99 for a TV show sale, but not okay with a 99¢ TV show rental. This isn?t unique to NBC! Doesn?t this say that these networks aren?t really expecting much in the way of repeat viewing?

Not necessarily. They sell television series DVDs. My guess is that they are concerned that rentals might negatively affect DVD sales.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

NBC will eventually cave into this as well. It may not happen today, tomorrow, or next month, but they will once you see ABC and FOX make money off A.tv..That's if they make money off A.tv

So how much has ABC made on movie sales off iTunes? Movie rental and sales have been available for Appletv for a while. Seems like if Apple came up with a good number, it would go a long way to convince the other studios to be a part of rentals.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How is Apple TV different from TiVo? TiVo can record shows automatically and people don't need to rent the shows. I'd rather have a DVR than Apple TV regarding TV shows.

Well my answer here is entirely dependent upon your situation. It applies to me, but perhaps not you. Hypothetically speaking, of course, if all of the networks got on board with AppleTV and this price plan, I would cancel my cable subscription straight away. I watch probably less than 20 episodes of television in any given month, so I think that I'd do better with AppleTV. Also, "on demand" movies and other shows cost a buck less through iTunes vs my cable provider.

The only thing that keeps iTunes from ruling my entertainment roost right now is the lack of content. Guess why it lacks the content? I think that that the cable companies and the networks alike are scared to death of this endgame, and some of them are going to do everything in their power to prevent it. Ultimately, they will be unable to. I'm not guaranteeing iTunes domination per se, but digital a la carte delivery is in our future. Forced bundling sucks for the consumer, plain and simple, especially in market where there is only one choice in cable provider (most markets). Sure, I buy the occasional complete music "album" now, if the artist really makes it a work of art. Otherwise, give me a song for a reasonable price, and I'll gladly pay it.

The smarter companies are the ones that figure out how to get in front of the changes and monetize them. The losers will fight the changes until they go broke. (Blockbuster, anyone? Traditional music stores? Bookstores today?)

Thompson
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Yes, but you have to pay for all the shows before Tivo can record any shows.

Tivo doesn't record out of thin air(unless you are recording only free over the air tv).

Most people pay a lot of money to a cable company for the privilege of DVRing their favorite shows.

that is exactly the point though - NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox are all **FREE** to anyone in the US who wants it. the fact that NBC's head is up their butt in terms of monetizing digital rentals is asinine.

79% of the US population lives in an urban area, that means that a relatively cheap antenna (less than one month's worth of cable) can get them about 20-25 channels, just like me. in HD. for no monthly fee.

two months cable subscription can get you an HD recorder for your free television:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR570-...p_ob_e_title_0 i started with a similar device in 2006 when Philadelphia stations started to broadcast ATSC, and now i have a full blow computer-based DVR that blows the pants off Tivo, and allows me access to my music and photos and the web as well as ATSC "free" tv. http://www.sagetv.com

all together, i still haven't spent what a year's worth of Comcast would have cost me, and i have added an $8 a month Netflix subscription so i can get the HBO/Showtime series i want to watch as well.

US population in urban area:

http://wwwcf.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/census/cps2k.htm
  • Reply 38 of 87
    Has anyone else failed upward the way Zucker has?
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Heroes was the only show worthwhile on NBC for me. Now that it's canceled, NBC, you just don't matter anymore.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

NBC Universal has been making boneheaded decisions for ages now. The worst was probably putting Zucker in charge of programming. I'll never forgive him for destroying Surface by pre-empting it half the time. It wasn't the greatest show, but it had potential and momentum, at least before they screwed it up.

I liked that show too. That one scene, shot from above, where the giant sea monster swallowed the fishing boat whole was classic. And Lake Bell?