Apple updates iWork for iPad with new iDisk, Office support

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released a significant update to its iWork suite of productivity applications for the iPad, delivering support for copying files to a Mobile Me iDisk and exporting documents in native Microsoft Office formats.

Apple sells each of the three applications for $9.99 on the App Store. Wednesday's release is the second update issued for the suite since it was introduced earlier this year alongside the iPad. A more detailed list of enhancements to the Pages, Keynote and Numbers applications are provided by Apple:

Pages 1.2

- Copy documents between Pages and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

- Option to display the word count for your document.

- Support for opening .txt files from Mail.

- Ability to group and ungroup objects.

- Import and export existing footnotes, endnotes, sections and tables of contents.

- Import and export Pages ?09 tables with image background fills in cells.

- Improved export of tables with customized borders.

- Improved font matching when importing a Pages or Microsoft Word document.

- Improved creation and editing of hyperlinks.

- Improved text options for tables including font, size and color settings for individual cells.

- Improved usability and reliability when sharing documents via iWork.com public beta.

- Improved reliability when importing documents with large images.

- Improved reliability when importing and exporting documents with overlapping objects.

- Improved handling of fonts when exporting documents to Microsoft Word.

- Improved reliability and performance when importing Microsoft Word documents.

Keynote 1.2

- Export presentations to Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT) format.

- Copy presentations between Keynote and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

- Support for audio in builds when importing Keynote ?09 presentations.

- Add animated builds to grouped objects.

- Lens Flare, Spin and Wipe build animations.

- Revolving Door, Swoosh and Wipe slide transition animations.

- Improved slide size conversion when importing Keynote ?09 presentations.

- Import and export Keynote ?09 tables with image background fills in cells.

- Improved font matching when importing Keynote ?09 or Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.

- Improved creation and editing of web hyperlinks.

- Improved text options for tables including font, size and color settings for individual cells.

- Improved usability and reliability when sharing presentations with iWork.com public beta.

- Improved reliability when importing presentations with large images.

- Improved reliability when importing and exporting presentations with overlapping objects.

- Improved reliability and performance when importing Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.

Numbers 1.2

- Export spreadsheets to Microsoft Excel (.XLS) format.

- Copy spreadsheets between Numbers and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

- Open CSV files from Mail and other apps.

- Import and export Numbers ?09 tables with image background fills in cells.

- Improved font matching when importing Numbers ?09 or Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

- Improved creation and editing of hyperlinks in text boxes.

- Improved usability and reliability when sharing spreadsheets with iWork.com public beta.

- Improved reliability when importing spreadsheets with large images.

- Improved reliability when importing and exporting spreadsheets with overlapping objects.

- Improved reliability and performance when importing Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

All three of the updates are free for registered owners of earlier versions of the apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    This is an amazing update that significantly increases the utility of the apps. I especially appreciate the Pages word count and TXT opening, Excel export and CSV opening, and Keynote's Powerpoint export, audio build-ins, and additional animations. I love that lens flare build animation.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Export to ppt and xls. Finally thank you!

I held off buying Keynote and Numbers because of inability to export to ppt and xls..
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Awesome. So finally fonts aren't broken when imported into Pages on iPad from Pages on the Mac I have to say, this was the primary reason why I tried to avoid using Pages on iPad as much as possible until they got their act together
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Encryption is missing.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Wow, this is huge. With printing and multitasking coming in November, this is really, really huge and gets me a lot closer to being able to travel with just my iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Slowly but surely the ipad is becoming more useful...

Now, if you could use storage/easy free access, that would be good.

Add facetime and I have my travel toy
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Nice update in some respects, but the PDF export is still broken.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Awesome. So finally fonts aren't broken when imported into Pages on iPad from Pages on the Mac I have to say, this was the primary reason why I tried to avoid using Pages on iPad as much as possible until they got their act together

I'm not sure that this was ever a problem, at least not an unexpected one. If the fonts aren't on the iPad, a substitute is used, just as it would be on a desktop PC. If the iPad did this any differently, I had not noticed. The real problem with iWork for the iPad is that fonts aren't properly embedded in documents created on the iPad when they are exported to a PDF. It's an embarrassing bug that sadly Apple has not fixed in this version.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    This is great news. However, Numbers running under MacOS needs a lot of refining. In particular, parsing of data and graph control both need to become more sophisticated in order for Numbers even to be usable under many circumstances that I encounter. I had also hoped to use Keynote on the iPad in presenting lectures prepared on my MBP. However, too many features in my presentations fell over or were missing and so I haven't yet had the opportunity.

Refining apps takes time and no doubt, eventually, the iPad versions will match the capability of their MacOS cousins, which themselves will continue to grow in sophistication.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    I am surprised they did not add printing support ala mail, photos, etc.

They coulda gotta double banger with the developers who have iOS 4.2.

• Reply 11 of 53
    Does anyone else see Airplay being tied into iWork? That would be huge.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

Does anyone else see Airplay being tied into iWork? That would be huge.

Keynote.. More likely. If not, it should.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Awesome! Downloading now...
  • Reply 14 of 53
    great! iPad is still missing some sort of a filing system, I cannot upload or attach a file in a webpage.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

great! iPad is still missing some sort of a filing system, I cannot upload or attach a file in a webpage.

iDisk support and drop box and iTunes.

It's not rocket science getting documents onto the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Wow, Apple gets competition that is now starting to kick its ass in the mobile arena and now they finally get off their lazy ass and start adding what I have been asking for since iPhone 1st gen.

They lost me to Droid X. It received Android 2.2 update last night and it's like the iPhone X.

Steve Jobs sat on his lazy ass and didn't do shit until Android showed up.

For the iPhone faithful. Flash on the phone makes it like a true tablet. The tablets are going to kick iPad's ass for that one reason alone.

I LOVE MY DROID X!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

iOS4 includes the plumbing for Mobile Safari uploads (see original iOS4 beta release notes) but as of the latest 4.2 beta it hasn't been implemented yet. So it's probably coming soon now that apps have a (more or less) standardized way of sharing data to the outside world.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Wow, Apple gets competition that is now starting to kick its ass in the mobile arena and now they finally get off their lazy ass and start adding what I have been asking for since iPhone 1st gen.

They lost me to Droid X. It received Android 2.2 update last night and it's like the iPhone X.

For the iPhone faithful. Flash on the phone makes it like a true tablet. The tablets are going to kick iPad's ass for that one reason alone.

I LOVE MY DROID X!

Android, by the company who's CEO sat on Apple's board of directors, a highly trusted position.

Sure, Steve Jobs is well known in the industry as being incredibly lazy. You on the other hand, are Mr. Amazing!
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

I LOVE MY DROID X!

Glad your happy. Love your language. It reminds me of the a Droid. As for Flash, have a nice time with it too. Hope yours works better than what I am forced to use at work. As for the iPad, what we have seen so far it isn't even close
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Android, by the company who's CEO sat on Apple's board of directors, a highly trusted position.

Sure, Steve Jobs is well known in the industry as being incredibly lazy. You on the other hand a Mr. Amazing!

Couldn't close a deal with Facebook. Can't close the deal with NBC.

This is only the start. I have more options on my Droid X than I had in 3 years of the iPhone and the Navigation app is incredible (turn by turn voice for free).a

Everything that Droid fans say are true. But the great part is it gets better everyday.

Apps are cheap or Free or built into Android.

It took 2 fricking years for copy and paste on iOS. There are about 800 apps that I can return if I don't like them if they aren't free that preform this one task.

My songs all converted with http://www.doubletwist.com/ and I can watch the real internet with Flash or block the ads if I want. I can turn Flash on and off with the click of a button.

It's my choice. Steve Jobs will never get it.