Apple updates iWork for iPad with new iDisk, Office support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rfrmac View Post

Glad your happy. Love your language. It reminds me of the a Droid. As for Flash, have a nice time with it too. Hope yours works better than what I am forced to use at work. As for the iPad, what we have seen so far it isn't even close

It's a good thing because it's a not even a big iPod Touch anymore. It's slower, weaker and has less ram and apps.

Typical 1st gen for Apple...

Let's see how little we can get away with putting on a product and have them beg them to give them their money.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

... For the iPhone faithful. Flash on the phone makes it like a true tablet. The tablets are going to kick iPad's ass for that one reason alone.

I LOVE MY DROID X!

I suppose that having Word, Excel and Powerpoint on your phone help in making it like a true tablet too!
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I suppose that having Word, Excel and Powerpoint on your phone help in making it like a true tablet too!

Documents to Go are awesome. I can open and edit and forward or save to my computer any Office document I receive. Including Office 2010.

Anymore questions?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

iDisk support and drop box and iTunes.

It's not rocket science getting documents onto the iPad.

I was referring to situations where someone may need to attach a file for uploading to a website, like a resume, a photo, or any type of attachment. I'm already aware on how to move files to and from my iPad, and you're right it's not rocket science.

@ SinisterJoe: Thank you for that response, I wasn't aware of that.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

Documents to Go are awesome. I can open and edit and forward or save to my computer any Office document I receive. Including Office 2010.

Anymore questions?

Mine wasn't a question but a statement... which you did a nice job of turning to your advantage! I notice that Documents To Go is available for the iPhone too.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Mine wasn't a question but a statement... which you did a nice job of turning to your advantage! I notice that Documents To Go is available for the iPhone too.

Yes it is. But... can you save your documents to your Phone and use your own phone as a hard drive including the SD Card?

Everything you do on the iPhone, you have to wait a year more than you should have to and then it cost you up the ass to get the feature.

Hell, the iPad isn't even on iOS 4. Talk about Fragmentation. The new iPad isn't even out yet and by the time it is maybe Steve will let iOSxxx on it, maybe not. Depends on if he changed his douche that day.

No big deal.

Sent from my Droid X.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Wow, Apple gets competition that is now starting to kick its ass in the mobile arena and now they finally get off their lazy ass and start adding what I have been asking for since iPhone 1st gen.

They lost me to Droid X. It received Android 2.2 update last night and it's like the iPhone X.

Steve Jobs sat on his lazy ass and didn't do shit until Android showed up.

For the iPhone faithful. Flash on the phone makes it like a true tablet. The tablets are going to kick iPad's ass for that one reason alone.

I LOVE MY DROID X!

Then why are you here?? Shouldn't you be out crowing on the phandroid site? You are so fundamentally clueless about product development that it is not just breath-taking: you have created a perfect ignorance vacuum. Yes that does in fact mean, well, let's not go there.

Let's see. Droid X. Hmmmmmm. Lovely, massive slab of flickering displays, ringers not working, WiFI connectivity issues, that largish nearly 3/4 inch thick "bump" at the top, and you NEED SWYPE on it because you don't want to try and type in landscape mode unless you have prehensile thumbs. Yes - indeed you now have version 1.0 of Exchange support - something that should be at least on par with the current iOS enterprise level, because it came out before the iPhone but didn't for some odd reason. Thank the gods that Moto gave everyone that activeSynch patch to tide them over until Verizon got around to finally pushing out Froyo for you guys! Laggy app start-ups, utterly dependent on Micro SD cards to have enough memory to do anything significant, sub-par Motoblur apps (you get better versions on the Devour or Cliq for freak's sake - nice move on that one), and of course the fans love to trumpet about being a built-in WiFi hotspot, but even Motorola states quietly that they don't recommend extensive use of that feature because of the impact to the battery life. Oh yes, speaking of the lovely Moto folks - they added that charming feature for all you jailbreaking fans called eFuse - yeah you 'break, you brick - they GAR-RUN-TEEE it! ANd running all those bloatwarez widgets and apps in the background - chewing up battery life - always nice to have those on there. And Flash. ROTFLMAO - really? Dayum son - I'd rather have Flash-lite than that crapware!

SO yeah your points are totally valid. The Droid X rocks the world - at least until the next 10 or so handsets are released for Android and you get to watch as everyone else plays with the latest/greatest handsets and you while away your two year contract, or pay through the nose to stay current on the hardware. Thank heavens cargo pants and backpacks are still in style to keep your slab pocketable! By the way the Nexus One is still the best benchmark for Android hardware spec out there, because it is carrier independent and more tightly adheres to Google standards. Google sold you guys to the carriers, like a bunch of freakin' sacrificial lambs for the slaughter - just so they could get their foot into the mobile ad biznizz.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

... Hell, the iPad isn't even on iOS 4. Talk about Fragmentation. The new iPad isn't even out yet and by the time it is maybe Steve will let iOSxxx on it, maybe not. Depends on if he changed his douche that day...

I disagree with this. Apple of all computer companies has been fantastically successful at keeping computing devices together under one OS. This is undeniable. However, they previously did not have the variety of basic hardware architectures to contend with that they now have and even so, each of their platforms is running OS X. Your comment on the iPad in this respect is facetious. One might argue about Apple having a propensity to limit the capability of initial releases of their hardware but the argument about the OS lagging is unreasonable. Once the iPad goes to the same release as the iPhone, they will not be separated. They will each gain enhancements suiting their particular purpose and form factor, however, common capabilities will be advanced together. I suspect that you know this. The more that Android is taken up, the more it will fragment, while Apple's systems head towards convergence.

Apple is a hardware company, which is worth repeating, Apple is a hardware company. Love 'em or loath 'em, the ball is in Apple's court, the rest is catch up.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Then why are you here?? Shouldn't you be out crowing on the phandroid site?...

If he wasn't here, we'd not have had the joy of your response! Silver linings and all that.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Hell, the iPad isn't even on iOS 4. Talk about Fragmentation. The new iPad isn't even out yet and by the time it is maybe Steve will let iOSxxx on it, maybe not. Depends on if he changed his douche that day.

No big deal.

Sent from my Droid X.

You're kidding, right? Come November, every iDevice ever made will run 1 of 2 OSes: iOS 3.1.3 or 4.2. Every Android device will run 1.5 or 1.6 or 2.1 or 2.2. Now that's fragmentation.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This is an amazing update that significantly increases the utility of the apps. ...

"Amazing?" Seriously?

Don't you think you are going a bit over the top? This update simply implements the basic features of the desktop version of iWork which up to this point were missing. If pushing out a beta product with missing features, and then updating it to a basic sort of 1.0 level is "Amazing" then what kind of language do you use when they actually add something new or special?

I'm happy for the update and glad they finally finished the apps off, but ... "Amazing"???

I would say it' a welcome and somewhat overdue update to some basic apps.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

iDisk support and drop box and iTunes.

It's not rocket science getting documents onto the iPad.

It's not easy either.

It's cumbersome, and somewhat behind what is offered by most of the competing products and systems. I haven't downloaded the update yet, but currently I have to email a document off of the iPad to myself even when it's connected to my computer. This is neither desirable, typical, or easy.

The iTunes interface for syncing documents with iPad apps is not intuitive, and it is even different from app to app what the result is.

I'm assuming with the iDisk update that I can "save" a changed document to my iDisk, and load documents from my iDisk but it's not certain from the description above that I can do that. Even if I can, it's still not ideal. iDisk is horrendously slow and sometimes simply doesn't work even on desktop machines.

A simple, flat, folder called "Documents" that loads on the desktop when the device is attached is the obvious solution that everyone is waiting for and IMO they pretty much *have* to do it at some point, but instead they seem to be preoccupied with screwing everyone around with these cumbersome alternative methods, hoping against hope that they won't have to implement such a thing.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Boy, by the list of new features the iWork team was pretty busy with the iPad version. Knowing Apple and how short on engineering staff they are, that translates into no new iWork for the Mac until at least 2011. That sucks.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs sat on his lazy ass and didn't do shit until Android showed up.

I guess your too young to remember 2007 when Apple revolutionized the entire cellphone industry and the only Android around was found in cheesy sci-fi flicks.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

They lost me to Droid X.

Apple ... 4 million and counting.

MenLoveToys .... 1.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Techstuds and menlovetoys, inspired nicks to say the least.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's not easy either.

It's cumbersome, and somewhat behind what is offered by most of the competing products and systems. I haven't downloaded the update yet, but currently I have to email a document off of the iPad to myself even when it's connected to my computer. This is neither desirable, typical, or easy.

The iTunes interface for syncing documents with iPad apps is not intuitive, and it is even different from app to app what the result is.

I'm assuming with the iDisk update that I can "save" a changed document to my iDisk, and load documents from my iDisk but it's not certain from the description above that I can do that. Even if I can, it's still not ideal. iDisk is horrendously slow and sometimes simply doesn't work even on desktop machines.

A simple, flat, folder called "Documents" that loads on the desktop when the device is attached is the obvious solution that everyone is waiting for and IMO they pretty much *have* to do it at some point, but instead they seem to be preoccupied with screwing everyone around with these cumbersome alternative methods, hoping against hope that they won't have to implement such a thing.

I, too, in my "wisdom" have questioned this. I am a great organizer, and I have all these folders here there and everywhere and know exactly what file should be where. Of course, this is the old desktop paradigm, and I think Apple is now trying to take us some place new.

Funny thing is, Apple really invented the desktop paradigm and did it properly. MS messed it up, but now no-one can see past this old paradigm and yearns for it. I never know where anything actually resides on Windows PC's because the hierarchy is convoluted. On the Mac, everything flows from the harddrive(s) as root, because, in reality, it physically is the root.

But as superior as their desktop implementation was, Apple now wants to take us somewhere else. Technology and our mobile computing lifestyles are increasingly taking us beyond the desktop. So, it gets increasingly crazy to expose the user to the finder level -- and do it accurately, as only Apple is wont to do. Rather, we will begin getting used to seeing our files that are available to a given program, anywhere, on any device that we access. It will be the same file, and we will not need to worry if it is the latest version or not, and what file to keep when we use a different device. It won't matter where the originals are. I am really looking forward to this.

Soon I think we will be opening Keynote on the desktop and in the opening dialog box that displays templates, we will see all the files we just saw on our iPad's Keynote homescreen. In some ways, this may seem to us expert "finder jockeys" that this is a step backwards; it might seem kind of Microsoftian, with everything showing up in some kind of detached My Documents space. But I think it will work out. My preference is for either some system that is extremely accurate and reflects the reality of where files are actually physically stored (but who cares where cloud services are located and how many hard drives hold my stuff as we begin to use more and more different services); or, something new entirely; I don't care for some in-between solution. I anticipate being pleasantly surpised.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    And when iWork on iPhone 4? Please, please, pleaaaaaaaase!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 53
    This is still useless for Corporate use since iDisk does not support going through a Proxy yet. I will simply continue to use Dropbox which has this nicely integrated.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

iDisk is horrendously slow and sometimes simply doesn't work even on desktop machines.

iDisk works perfectly for me. Fast and reliable. I could not be happier. Maybe your iDisk issues are specific to your set up or connection.

Edit: I downloaded the update and just tried copying a numbers document to iDisk. Fast and flawless. I think apple has lots of interesting cloud developments in store for us. I can't wait. Google plus 1 million hacks to make things work for me was getting old.