Verizon CEO hopes Apple will offer iPhone for its 4G network

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon's chief executive said this week he hopes Apple will build an iPhone compatible with his company's forthcoming 4G LTE network, downplaying rumors of an iPhone launch on his company's existing CDMA network in early 2011.

Ivan Seidenberg made the comments Thursday at an investor conference, according to The Associated Press. Though he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current CDMA network, he said he hopes Apple will allow Verizon to sell a smartphone for its forthcoming long-term evolution 4G network.

The CEO's comments come as rumors have steadily built for months that Apple is prepared to launch a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone in early 2011. This week, overseas suppliers indicated to one Wall Street analyst that Apple will begin manufacturing a CDMA iPhone in December of this year.

Reports of a January 2011 launch began in June, when Bloomberg said it was told Apple would start selling a CDMA handset at the start of next year. Assuming the handset would run on the Verizon network, it would mark the end of exclusivity in the U.S. for AT&T.

In terms of customers, Verizon is the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. Both it and rival AT&T are currently building their 4G networks.

AT&T announced last week that its LTE network is on track for a mid-2011 launch. Verizon, on the other hand, said it will launch its own LTE network in 30 National Football League cities in the U.S. by the end of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    What is up with only covering football cities? Does that mean Green Bay, WI is getting LTE before everyone else?
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Between ivans, it's all understanding..............
  • Reply 3 of 71
    "We don't feel like we have an iPhone deficit," Mr. Seidenberg said. "We would love to carry it, but we have to earn it."

Mr. Seidenberg declined to comment on speculation that Verizon Wireless would get the iPhone some time next year. "I can't speak for Apple," he said.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    and over the Atlantic, o2 still havnt got passed their 150mbps LTE trial in Cornwall.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Still cannot see Apple and Verizon being able to get along.

Maybe by the time LTE gets going, Verizon might let Steve Jobs have his way. But not now.

I would think Apple will come up with the compatible phone. But they will put it out only to whomever goes the Apple Way or the Highway.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    i thought that ivan seidenberg was being replaced.

he seems to be one of the impediments for a deal with apple.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Of course he's going to deny Verizon is getting the iPhone. What'd you expect?

It could hurt Android sales a bit if people know for sure the iPhone is coming soon. And could hurt iPhone sales with AT&T which wouldn't sit well with Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    So he doesn't want a CDMA-based iPhone? Only LTE? Is this so that he has an incentive for users to move to LTE?
  • Reply 9 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon's chief executive said this week he hopes Apple will build an iPhone compatible with his company's forthcoming 4G LTE network, downplaying rumors of an iPhone launch on his company's existing CDMA network in early 2011.

Ivan Seidenberg made the comments Thursday at an investor conference, according to The Associated Press. Though he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current CDMA network, he said he hopes Apple will allow Verizon to sell a smartphone for its forthcoming long-term evolution 4G network.

I find these statements to be contradictory. If he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current network, how could he have been downplaying any rumors? Another interpretation of his silence on a CDMA iPhone is that he was carefully avoiding saying anything so as not to screw up the deal. Saying he would like to sell a 4G iPhone is safe and will not endanger any 4th quarter 2010 sales of their current handsets.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    If it wasn't for the crappy service at my house, I'd be fine with getting an AT&T iPhone, but because Verizon is the only carrier that reaches my home, I have to wait and hope.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I find these statements to be contradictory. If he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current network, how could he have been downplaying any rumors? Another interpretation of his silence on a CDMA iPhone is that he was carefully avoiding saying anything so as not to screw up the deal. Saying he would like to sell a 4G iPhone is safe and will not endanger any 4th quarter 2010 sales of their current handsets.

Basically you nailed it. It's an investor's conference.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

We're the ones rumoring, not him. He's not participating in the rumor discussion at all. His not mentioning a CDMA iPhone results in the downplay of -our- discussion.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Heh, heh, I see it as Verizon's propaganda machine put out enough FUD to keep as many people as possible from buying an iPhone 4 and signing a new 2-year deal with AT&T.

Now that we are quickly approaching the often rumored "introduction date" and there will be no product launch they can go on record as saying, "We never said we would be getting the iPhone 4." It is an easy way for them to push waiting hopefuls out another few months to see what happens.

My wife and I may jump ship if that day ever comes, but for now I'm going to enjoy my iPhone 4 not worrying about the what-ifs.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    So for those of you that may have bought an Android-based phone from Verizon... What, if anything, has Verizon done to it? Does it come bone stock from the manufacturer? Or does Verizon litter it with its own applications/widgets/etc. Is there Verizon branding all over it? I'm just trying to imagine what Verizon might try to demand out of Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Still cannot see Apple and Verizon being able to get along.

Maybe by the time LTE gets going, Verizon might let Steve Jobs have his way. But not now.

Agreed. Verizon (an ugly company, BTW) wants to load its usual bloatware and saddle the iPhone with its own obnoxious branding. They need to hear 'Why don't you carry iPhones?' a few million more times before they'll agree to Apple's terms.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Apple has never given in to anyone, be it Media companies, Music companies etc, etc, etc.

There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.

Hard to believe that APPLE would release a CDMA IPHONE in January before Verizons LTE network is up an running or IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRODUCT CYCLE. Meaning 6 months into IPHONE4 and 6 months before IPHONE 5.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So for those of you that may have bought an Android-based phone from Verizon... What, if anything, has Verizon done to it? Does it come bone stock from the manufacturer? Or does Verizon litter it with its own applications/widgets/etc. Is there Verizon branding all over it? I'm just trying to imagine what Verizon might try to demand out of Apple.

There is a verizon logo and a lightly populated verizon app store on all of them, and some have the search engine set to Bing. They still have the google app store and whatever UI mods the handset maker chose to add on top of Android. The situation is a far cry from 2007.

On the flip side, verizon has a bunch of hit phones now and they also have a slower 3G technology. They may not want the iphone 4 to show up with a bunch of side by side network comparisons that attack their very valuable superior network reputation. If they wait for LTE these issues will no longer exist. I would think late 2011 to mid 2012 would be a decent guess for timing of a Verizon LTE phone, but that could change depending on the quality of LTE chipsets available to Apple, the timing of VoLTE rollouts for the carriers, and the general market demand for LTE.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    The talk of CDMA versus LTE as if the latter will wipe out the former is fruitless. Any LTE phone in the next few years will have to be compatible with Verizon's CDMA network for coverage. CDMA isn't going anywhere.

If Apple were to release a Verizon iPhone anytime soon, it would spend most of its time working with the CDMA network. Just like Sprint and that HTC phone that's advertised as the "first 4G phone," what they don't tell you is that the 4G coverage is so weak that most people who own it leave 4G turned off and use regular old EV-DO 3G data instead. That will be your experience with an LTE phone in the forseeable future.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Verizon has already publicly stated that its 4g LTE Network will not have a large enough footprint (to not rely on CDMA as a backup) until 2013-14. Looks like you Verizon fans will have to wait a bit longer.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.

Funny, but it looks like Verizon is doing just fine with the Android thing. They have little need for the iPhone right now. At this point, it seems to me like it would be nice for Apple to sell a few more phones by adding another U.S. carrier, but hardly a need until they have more phones than they can sell. It would be nice for Verizon to be able to get a chunk of new customers by carrying the iPhone, but they are hardly struggling without it.

The iPhone is no longer the only game in town like it was in 2007-2008. I still think the iPhone 4 is the best phone on the market right now, but I am not sure that will be the case in 12-18 months. There is not much I can do with the iPhone that I could not do on an Android phone. The biggest difference is in refinement and I expect Android will keep improving in that area.