iPad, Apple's 'Mac of the masses,' predicted to sell 21M in 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I think what we're watching here is the unfolding of two different business models. MSFT, led by Ballmer, who has all the attributes of an old time "salesman" ... a pitchman, for lack of a better name, who wants to, as most salesman dream of doing, sell something to everyone, usually without giving much thought to the bottom line or to tomorrow's "sales". The unfortunate thing is, that the windows customer base is so large .... it generates profits almost automatically and allows that model to happen and for management to become more easily satisfied, for now at least. By the time management wakes up and starts to choose their focus points more clearly, it may be difficult to change.

Apple, otoh, has a plan in place that is slowly revealing itself to us, one step at a time. The amount of focus on Apple's part is becoming clearer everyday and is amazing to see.

As much as I love to see more product being introduced by my favorite company, Apple, I find it even more interesting to watch both business plans unfold.

I agree. As far as Apple goes SJ has stated many times that Apple is not motivated by numbers or money. Sure, high sales and high profits are great and tend to validate the design and engineering efforts but the driving force is that it has to be fun. Unless they can pursue goals they are truly passionate about - great hardware design, great user experience etc - it just isn't worth the effort. Some cynics think that's all rubbish but I believe it is at the core of the company and why other companies find it impossible to be 'as great'. The reason, for instance, that Apple continuously tops the customer satisfaction ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20...ag=mncol;title ) is that they genuinely care. Not just to increase the bottom line but to improve the user experience. And that is why Apple will not, for now, venture into all these areas that they are not truly passionate about.

Apple definitely has a long term plan. But every company has that. Plans that are continuously revised and change from time to time. The difference is that Apple has a deep understanding of what its core values are and are single mindedly driven by these. They are also guided by a very sound business model, of course but it is only because of my previous point that that model works at all.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can see all the iPad wannabes simply fighting amongst themselves. OK the plan worked out well for the same concept in the IBM/Windows clone days but I seriously feel Apple are far enough ahead for the melee this time to be disastrous for the Android clone maker's profits.

Well, it's also worth pointing out, in this regard, that the current marketplace is not at all the same as the computer market back then; there is no equivalent of the IBM of those years, today, and, without IBM, Microsoft would never have been the company we know.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've found these analyst estimates for iPad sales to be right on the mark... if you double them!

Well, maybe. We should keep in mind that analysts are always conservative. They don't like to make predictions that probably aren't going to be exceeded. So yes, he's probably shooting on the low side, but I doubt he's going 50% low.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In time, you won't be able to tell the difference. THAT is the plan.

A very interesting point.

I've gone from big-box computing to laptops and can't wait for the moment when I can manage what I need to from the iPad. I pick one up now and I can't see how it will will do what I need now, but just like the iPhone that's become a lot more useful over the last 3 years, I expect iPad to get more useful in even less time.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow, there is so much wrong with this HP tablet. How many FAILs can you find?
    PS: I also found it funny that it is being filmed with an iPhone.

Ouch!

It took 40 seconds to power up to the point of being usable. With my iPad, I get in, do my thing, get out in less time than that. Just how productive is watching a desktop OS boot?

I assume, that it was turned off, or else they'd need to charge it first!

I think this is HP fulfilling a commitment to MS (badly).

The real deal will be the Palm version.

A button to turn on the virtual kb-- LMAO.

• Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:

Ouch!

It took 40 seconds to power up to the point of being usable. With my iPad, I get in, do my thing, get out in less time than that. Just how productive is watching a desktop OS boot?

I assume, that it was turned off, or else they'd need to charge it first!

The real deal will be the Palm version.

I really think HP gave up on releasing the Slate. What happened is the iPad came in a much lower price point then HP expected, the Slate was suppose to retail for about 800.00 and when they tried to build one to compete with Apple all they could come up with is a netbook without a keyboard.

Last time I saw the final specs on the Slate they were really poor when trying to run Windows 7. It was really nothing more then a low end netbook without a keyboard.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Last time I saw the final specs on the Slate they were really poor when trying to run Windows 7. It was really nothing more then a low end netbook without a keyboard.

Yep. And that's all the device in the video is, a low-end netbook with a poorly implemented touch interface.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:

[...]

I thought 40 sec was pretty good for Windows 7 for I presume is an Atom CPU.

Note the physical button for Control+Alt+Del function. That right there says you need to rethink the entire concept.

I think Extremeskater is dead on. While this seems like a legit device from HP I have to assume it's not something they are still working on. They hooked be focusing on a WebOS tablet. However, I used to think HP was well managed, but they or rid or their CEO so who knows what the freak they are planning. Maybe this tablet was far enough along that it's worthwhile for even a few dozen-thousand worldwide sales over the next year or two.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I think the only way RIM has even a ghost of a chance of surviving long term is if either Nokia or Microsoft acquires it. RIM is like Palm (the original Palm of PDA fame), it had a great product idea but is unable to break out into new areas successfully either because of a lack of imagination, lack of financial heft, or a narrow talent base in the organization. Who knows really?

And even if RIM gets acquired by Nokia or MS, there's still no guarantee because the latter two are also in a downward trend that they may or may not be able to reverse.

Maybe it's bad marketing that's holding BlackBerry down. Let me explain in two different ways:

1. I was listening to a radio show this morning, and the host discussed the McDonald's Happy Meal concept. Basically, McDonald's markets Happy Meals to kids, hoping they'll get their parents to take them to McDonald's. Once the kids enjoy what they get, then they get an emotional attachment to McDonald's. That generally makes kids loyal to McDonald's for life. There's a ton of market research that confirms this. Look around and you'll find it.

2. I saw a post on AI about how kids love using BBM, and this post about why that is. Basically, BBM makes messaging others definitely easier, and possibly cheaper, than with other phones.

So let's combine the two factors. I've been seeing a commercial that features BBM, but 1) they don't show exactly, feature-by-feature, what's so great with BBM, and 2) the commercial itself is marketed towards adults, on channels watched mostly by adults. Even the people in the commercials are older, and it's in a barbershop.

Forget commercials with adults in barbershops, being placed on the Lifetime and USA Network. Instead, what if Blackberry films a bunch of high schoolers, like, 100 of them, being given Blackberries for a couple of months, and have them praising the benefits of the phone (and especially BBM)? Then, air the finished commercials on networks commonly watched by teenagers, like MTV and the Disney Channel? Plant the seed of BlackBerry into the text-messaging youth, not adults focused on apps. (Besides, once there's an appreciable user base of BlackBerry 6 phones, app developers will develop plenty of apps for the OS, anyway). Once you hook the youth into BBM, then they're hooked for life.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Microsoft is making their way in all kinds of non-traditional markets. Ford and Microsoft's Sync is one example. Maybe that's the key - Apple doesn't want to integrate into 3rd party products but rather interface to them. Gotcha Apple.

Why does Apple have to be involved? What's to stop someone from integrating an iPod touch or iPad in a control system?

It's just a matter of time...
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i am surprised that it took this long for someone to be insulting....

Again, just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they are insulting. Nothing he posted was a personal attack. Rather than fretting over his delivery, how about countering his content?
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:

I think you have that backwards - and I think that's why HP bought Palm instead of remaining a "me too" windows licensee or Android distributer.

In the long term, if HP does get it I expect them to be the only real competitor to Apple. Windows phone system 7(or whatever the heck they are calling it) I see as stillborn - it will live longer than the Kin but never amount to much. MS has screwed over their partners too many times and there are too many other viable alternatives (many of whom are far more established). This is a mature market and MS does not have a good track record of competing in established markets without having to heavily subsidize their entry from their Office/Windows cash cow.

Android may move volume, but it will never drive revenue that Apple gets and that HP could get.

If Nokia can react and copy Apple fast enough they may survive enough to continually be chasing Apple - but even that is debatable. Yes, they sell a ton of phones but at little profit. Sales numbers are great for trolls to compare their e-penis sizes, but at the end of the day real winners are determined by profit.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

With Apple's success in music players, phones, computers, and now slate computing devices I am surprised they haven't taken their iOS to the next level as an embedded OS in cars for entertainment systems and in appliances. I can see refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, and microwaves having touch screens for input devices and making suggestions for cooking, shopping, sales on flatware and dishes etc.

Add a built in slot in car, appliance and whatnot for iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, create an app to pass over control, then viola.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Add a built in slot in car, appliance and whatnot for iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, create an app to pass over control, then viola.

There you go...

• Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Again, just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they are insulting. Nothing he posted was a personal attack. Rather than fretting over his delivery, how about countering his content?

i find your lack of understanding what is going on in those post surprising and your question dull.

rather than fretting over my delivery why don't you stop playing like you don't know what was really being said?
  • Reply 56 of 117
    Quote:

I think you have that backwards - and I think that's why HP bought Palm instead of remaining a "me too" windows licensee or Android distributer.

In the long term, if HP does get it I expect them to be the only real competitor to Apple. Windows phone system 7(or whatever the heck they are calling it) I see as stillborn - it will live longer than the Kin but never amount to much. MS has screwed over their partners too many times and there are too many other viable alternatives (many of whom are far more established). This is a mature market and MS does not have a good track record of competing in established markets without having to heavily subsidize their entry from their Office/Windows cash cow.

Android may move volume, but it will never drive revenue that Apple gets and that HP could get.

If Nokia can react and copy Apple fast enough they may survive enough to continually be chasing Apple - but even that is debatable. Yes, they sell a ton of phones but at little profit. Sales numbers are great for trolls to compare their e-penis sizes, but at the end of the day real winners are determined by profit.

We're on the same page!

I believe that HP is coming out with 2 tablets. The first (a prior commitment to MS) will run Windows (maybe Windows Mobile, when available).

The second will run WebOS -- this is the device HP wants to build.

If HP is wise they will make the 2 devices look as different as possible.

• Reply 57 of 117
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Emphasis mine!

Great points!

While well taken, the following statement doesn't go far enough:

"if Apple takes over the "enterprise" on this device, how long would it be before that spills over into the phone market?"

I believe it goes far beyond the "enterprise phone market". Let's call it the "enterprise productivity market".

The iPads are inexpensive, flexible, require little training or support-- they are expensable and expendable. They will become as second-nature as a calculator, stapler, a paper tablet or even a box of kleenex.

The iPad will become ubiquitous in the enterprise-- not as a replacement for the phone or the computer but as another tool that helps you be productive.

Here's the best part: the iPad will be the same go-to "productivity" tool at work as it is at home!

That's the battle to be won in the enterprise!

Not sure about the inclusion of kleenex ... hahaha .... but I agree with everything else you said.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Mac of Masses?? Man, that sounds like a champ being cuddled and patronized at the same time.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, it's also worth pointing out, in this regard, that the current marketplace is not at all the same as the computer market back then; there is no equivalent of the IBM of those years, today, and, without IBM, Microsoft would never have been the company we know.

I'm not too sure about that ... don't forget it was years before IBM even figured out the true value of the home PC market and since Gates had already figured out that software was more valuable than hardware and since Apple wasn't going to buy windows ..... he would have found somebody, I'm sure.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    Quote:

Why does Apple have to be involved? What's to stop someone from integrating an iPod touch or iPad in a control system?

It's just a matter of time...

Remember the line from the introduction event in 2007 when Steve said re: the iPhone touch interface? ...... "and we have patents, boy, do we have patents".