Apple's gains make it second-largest stock in the world

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday overtook PetroChina Co. in terms of market value, making the Cupertino, Calif., company the second-largest company in the world.

As noted by Bloomberg, Apple is now valued at $265.8 billion, ahead of PetroChina's $265.5 billion. Apple is only behind Exxon-Mobil, the largest company in the world, which had a value of $313.3 billion Thursday.

The milestone was reached thanks to the fact that AAPL stock hit an all-time high, topping $290 at one point during the day. It ended the day up over $1, and the stock has increased a total of 37 percent this year.

In May, Apple's market cap surpassed Microsoft when it hit $222 billion, pushing it ahead of the Redmond, Wash., software giant. That accomplishment made Apple the second-largest American company, behind only Exxon-Mobil.

But Thursday's milestone makes Apple the second-largest company in the world, in terms of market value. Exxon has also been moving up since May, when it had a market capitalization of nearly $280 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i guess m dell is feeling stupid right now
  • Reply 2 of 73
    Thanks to the iOS line out, Apple has been getting a bit more famous?
  • Reply 3 of 73
    It can't last as "Apple is closed" and we all know that "open" wins¡

Just wait until the Windows Phone 7 arrives.

And, the CrackPad.

And, the HP Slate.

And, netbooks will destroy overpriced MacBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Where's the link to the AI article about issues with Apple's stock moving to $400? It was a good read to illustrate the challenges they face to get to that price.

EDIT: Found them:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ls_part_i.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_part_ii.html
  • Reply 5 of 73
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    It sure sounds like, Apple WILL be the largest company in the world, within the next 6-7 months.

- After MORE iPad, iPhone sales, which will be a lot after Verizon and the addition of the camera to the iPad

Good for them!

Hell some would have to call this a miracle, seeing they won't suppose to be around much longer (some 8-10 years ago)

Skip

Oh, this is a BIG smile on my face ? I purchased the stock at UNDER $20.00 a share! Boy do I wish I bought more then
  • Reply 6 of 73
    You wait until Jobs and company releases their new product called iOil. Then you will see them become largest market cap company.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

It sure sounds like, Apple WILL be the largest company in the world, within the next 6-7 months.

- After MORE iPad, iPhone sales, which will be a lot after Verizon and the addition of the camera to the iPad

I wonder how much of the current stock prices is already factoring in many of those things? If a Verizon iPhone doesn't imerge next spring, will the stock take a hit?

Mind you, I don't think it would take a big hit, but it could slow the momentum a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I wonder how much of the current stock prices is already factoring in many of those things? If a Verizon iPhone doesn't imerge next spring, will the stock take a hit?

Mind you, I don't think it would take a big hit, but it could slow the momentum a bit.

Next spring is a looong way off, with at least two quarterly reports between now and then. The markets are far more focused on profits than rumors of future products.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It'll take a hit, but like you said ... it will be tiny. Same with the "antennae-gate" issue. Everyone was saying how the stock was going to drop tremendously. It took a tiny hit and recovered pretty quickly. I mean, look at it now! Fast approaching $300!

Dare I say $350 by middle of 2011? Not yet, I don't want to jinx it.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i guess m dell is feeling stupid right now

Are you sure?

He's 41 years old with a net worth of over $17 billion.

Steve's net work is just more than $6 billion.

Don't feel sorry for Dell.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    So you know, the new product will be called iSaid, followed up by a bigger and better version called iTolduso.

Skip
  • Reply 12 of 73
    All this and still less than 10% market share in the PC biz and having iPhone tied to exclusive carrier deals in many places. There's a lot more room to grow!
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Are you sure?

I think he is referring to the following quotes by M. Dell...
    ORLANDO, Florida--When it comes to the state of Apple Computer, everyone has an opinion.

And at the Gartner Symposium and ITxpo97 here today, the CEO of competitor Dell Computer added his voice to the chorus when asked what could be done to fix the Mac maker. His solution was a drastic one.

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Michael Dell said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

Dell's comments follow Steve Jobs's keynote address at the Seybold trade show last week in San Francisco, where the Apple cofounder seemed to win over attendees with his explanation of why he had made certain key decisions, killing the clone market and aligning more closely with Microsoft. The Seybold crowd--as well as some Apple employees--also seemed to be buoyed by the increasing role Jobs has taken on at the company as board member and interim CEO.

But others, like Dell, appear to think that Jobs's expanded role isn't helping. There is some concern that Apple will have a hard time recruiting a top-notch CEO because of Jobs's presence.

Others fear that Apple could end up completely in Microsoft's camp by deciding to use the NT operating system on its servers. Apple is reportedly planning to come out with network computers that would require high-end servers to function.

While many industry executives have offered opinions on how to right Apple's ship, no high-level executive has made as blatant a comment as Dell's.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-20393...#ixzz10OA77lyA
  • Reply 14 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    From a worldwide brand recognition standpoint I think Google is better known and it is a verb as well as noun.

iPhone it. Maybe someday.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Are you sure?

nono no

bobble head dell said about 10 yrs ago that apple was so crappy and poorly run that they should just close up sshopand fade away

true story
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Aww... how cute. That young company I got my first computer from more than two decades ago has has grown up into a mega corporation.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

It can't last as "Apple is closed" and we all know that "open? wins¡

Love it!
  • Reply 18 of 73
    That's just insane. I still can't fathom Apple being bigger than MS, or Sony, or HP, or a host of other "big" companies. I still think of Apple as a maker of nice, high-end PCs with a niche operating system.

And I knew I should have bought some stock when they dipped down to $240 a little while ago. Oh well. Still time to get some more before they go to $300... and BEYOND!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh the pain and joy of owning a load of Apple stock! I'd love to cash in but greed keeps me staying in for the long haul ...
  • Reply 20 of 73
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

So you know, the new product will be called iSaid, followed up by a bigger and better version called iTolduso.

Sosumi