Ping talks between Apple, Facebook failed after 18 months - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ascribing "doing wrong" to one party or another when we don't have more than an anonymous tipster's version of very broad outline of what went down doesn't seem very useful.

Do you suspect that either of these is incorrect?

No deal existed.

Apple added the integration nevertheless.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

No deal existed.

Yeah, see, you have no idea if that's true or not. Not that that ever keeps you from weighing in with tediously predictable "Apple bad" nonsense, but still.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Again, we're not privy to the negotiations. So I could just as easily say that Apple had a deal to at least link but couldn't reach an agreement on deeper integration, but Facebook pulled the plug after they went live just to punish Apple for not playing ball.

Ascribing "doing wrong" to one party or another when we don't have more than an anonymous tipster's version of very broad outline of what went down doesn't seem very useful.

Now you're assuming something completely baseless just to say that "Apple does no wrong." My assumption of no deal was struck is based on Jobs' quote that they couldn't reach an agreement due to "onerous" terms. Not some random anonymous tipster. If you say that what Jobs said is wrong, then you're contradicting your previous comments.

And FYI, my previous assumption of number of API calls was based on simple integration (add friends, post to walls, log in). With deeper integration that number will be far greater.

Step back a little from Apple and you'll see that my assumptions are not outrageous.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich;

Facebook has only been around for six years, and it could potentially all blow up tomorrow. Companies that appear instantly may disappear just as fast, and the barrier to entry for competitors is not that huge. Anyone remember MySpace?

You may have a point if Facebook wasn't way better than MySpace, a "huge" platform and much bigger. I don't see it going anywhere for a long time.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

???

Maybe they should change if they want to change things themselves so much.

It is kind of hard to support their products in an enterprise when they will not provide any replies. So far replies have been like, "gee we don't know". What? You created this...

My agenda is to provide the best solutions possible to internal customers and retail while meeting company policies. Nothing odd going on there in that agenda. I know though unless I am just praising Apple this kind of post just get trashed.

You can't be that naive, can you? I'm not in any way supporting how Apple works or thinks in my comments to you or anyone in the same boat.

The reality is, as a business person, that you either accept the way they work with you or you don't. There are times when complaining about it may get you somewhere, but I doubt that the AI Forum is such a place. I have no axe to grind against you or your company, period. I just think there are a lot better places to try and promote change for your situation.

To further that thought, at one point in the early stages, iPhone developers had to sign a very restrictive NDA that literally prevented them from interacting with other developers and sharing thoughts and experiences. A group then put up the now infamous "F**kingNDA" website in order to promote their plight and embarrass Apple into changing it's policy. In a 'round about way it worked. I'm not suggesting you put up a website with the title "F**kingStrategicAlliance", but I think you get my point. You can only promote change if you have enough courage to make it happen. How you go about it often determines the outcome.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:

No deal existed.

• Reply 107 of 111
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

That was a pretty sleazy move by Apple. No deal, nothing on the table, and Apple integrates them anyways.

No wonder the magazine and newspaper industries are saying "Thanks, but no thanks". Apple seems to be accumulating enemies a WHOLE lot faster than it is enticing partners.

Clearly you have no understanding of business.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah, hows MySpace doing these days?

This is the problem with online "social networking" sites versus what Apple does. The barrier to entry for Apple's business is far more difficult, representing best of breed employees, world-beating software, bleeding edge engineering and the singular vision of the CEO.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Yep. It's sometimes like a politician answering a reporter's questioons around here. Specific things are said and asked, but the response is just a pre-canned rant tangentially related to the subject matter.

The specifics of what is being responded to are often ignored in both venues.

Hey, I though you treated your MO as a trade secret. Now you're telling everyone else how you do it?
  • Reply 110 of 111
    There is a classic out there about these kinds of situations in negotiations. It title is "Getting To Yes" by Roger Fisher, William Ury and Bruce Patton.

It is good to know what you (Apple) wants: Access to facebook.

Yet, what is in it for facebook? Apple needs to answer this question first, and then they will succeed.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oliver Pospisil View Post

There is a classic out there about these kinds of situations in negotiations. It title is "Getting To Yes" by Roger Fisher, William Ury and Bruce Patton.

It is good to know what you (Apple) wants: Access to facebook.

Yet, what is in it for facebook? Apple needs to answer this question first, and then they will succeed.

Apparently (rumoredly) Facebook already said something along the lines of "we want access to the iTunes library buying habits of all Ping users."

"Getting to Yes" only works when both parties are rational. I guess Facebook missed the idea the analytics they could gather from the Ping accesses would actually be more relevant to them because they would be "by-definition" current.