"Inception" movie discussion - WATCH MOVIE FIRST BEFORE ENTERING

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi, I'm back. Firstly, let's set aside all the iPhone discussion. I apologise if some of my postings were not worthwhile.

OK if anything, you guys/gals here are smart cookies.

INCEPTION

Yes, the "real" sequel to the Matrix. Took them 10 years to come close.

OK, let's get down to it

SPOLIER WARNINGS READ ON ONLY IF YOU HAVE WATCHED

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

OK. So I followed everything until the "Modern Warfare 2" setting where Fischer goes into a coma[?] ... and then I lost it from there.

Also, does the architect have to always share the dream? Or would they just "seed" the layers and need not be there... Because the girl said she wanted to join them on the flight? Meaning she wasn't going to be on the flight initially?

Ending... Well, pretty obvious it's up to us to decide what "layer" we are on. A nice touch, I thought. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OK. Saw it a second time today with my Dad. The ending part (fortress) sort of went along the lines that when you die, you fall a level below the constructed dreamspace into "limbo" which may or may not have several levels itself. So once Mal killed Fischer they descended into one level below that third level of dream. From this point things get a bit fudgy especially how Dom finds and gets Saito back, IMO.

As for the architect, the architect doesn't have to be in the dream, they just have to "teach the levels to the dreamers" (stated when Dom is looking for a new architect).

The part about synchronizing the kicks is the most interesting, and somewhat confusing, but it plays out okay when you watch the movie.

Two thumbs up! Nothing can replace the original Matrix, but Inception is something fresh in a world of [insert crap movie here] NOW IN 3D!!! woot
  • Reply 2 of 12
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I watched it today and I liked it. Nice concept.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I finally saw this today and it was probably the best film I've seen in several months.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I finally saw this today and it was surely the best film I've seen in several months.

Still too many gun chases and carfights for my taste. But good. I felt the acting, especially DiCaprio, was a bit off, almost like he drew inspiration from The Matrix, which was pretty much the worst film in history in terms of acting.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Of course it was better than Matrix. Considering it's been such a bad year for movies it may be in the running for something.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Of course it was better than Matrix.

This.

Matrix sucked. Mostly the acting, but also the directing (of the acting) just killed it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I sar this movie on August 8th with my parents. It was wicked awesome! It took me a lil to actually follow it and understand it but it was great! The best part is, I don't think there will be a sequel. I'm not saying sequels are bad but well, you know.

I have liked every movie that Leo has been in. I really don't see why so many people say he is a bad actor. I didn't really honestly think the Matrix was that good when I saw it last year. It seemed too short and not much of a story really. It had one, just wasn't very good in my opinion.

I do wonder if that top actually stops spinning at the end of the movie though. They cut it off. I made myself believe it was actually slowing down and that it would stop... and I believe myself =D
  • Reply 9 of 12
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The top does stop after the cut. It's quite clear. By cutting it off where they did, it plants the idea that maybe it didn't stop--just as Leo's character planted the idea in his wife that eventually made her think that the real world was still the dream world. We aren't supposed to allow that inception to happen to us.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

The top does stop after the cut. It's quite clear. By cutting it off where they did, it plants the idea that maybe it didn't stop--just as Leo's character planted the idea in his wife that eventually made her think that the real world was still the dream world. We aren't supposed to allow that inception to happen to us.

The idea he planted was that the only escape was death. That carried into the real world and showed that inception was possible.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This.

Matrix sucked. Mostly the acting, but also the directing (of the acting) just killed it.

To clarify, Matrix 1 = good. Matrix 2,3 = absolute nonsensical garbage... With a few cool fight scenes and "machine city" graphics.

When comparing Inception to the Matrix, I'm talking about the original Matrix, of course.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ghost_of_Beth View Post

I do wonder if that top actually stops spinning at the end of the movie though. They cut it off. I made myself believe it was actually slowing down and that it would stop... and I believe myself =D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

Ah, but if you think of it, how valid is the concept of the "totem" in a first place. If you were dreaming, how do you know you aren't yourself making the totem do what you might want it to do...

Anyways thanks for the replies all...!