Pegatron rumored to begin CDMA iPhone 4 production in November

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that Pegatron is set to begin "volume production" of a CDMA-version iPhone 4 in November.

Electronista was first to report Friday that industry sources had notified Digitimes of a November start for production of a CDMA iPhone 4. Sources said shipments of the smartphone from Taiwanese hardware manufacturer Pegatron will likely reach "3-4 million units in the first three months, and 10 million by mid-2011."

Friday's report is mostly in line with earlier rumors. In June, Digitimes reported that Pegatron had received orders from Apple for the CDMA iPhone 4.

"Pegatron will also start shipping a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 to Apple in the fourth quarter and is currently using its plants in Shanghai, China to produce the products, the sources noted," the June report said.

Bloomberg corroborated the rumors later in June when it reported that Verizon was expected to begin selling the iPhone in January 2011.

On Wednesday, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group told investors that overseas suppliers were preparing to build 3 million CDMA iPhones in December in preparation for an early 2011 launch.

On the other hand, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg expressed hope Thursday that Verizon will eventually sell the iPhone for its long-term evolution 4G network, but gave no indication that the iPhone was coming to its current-generation CDMA network. Verizon is on track to launch its LTE network in 30 U.S. cities by the end of 2010.

Analysts have disagreed on the effect that a Verizon iPhone will have on both Verizon's and AT&T's profits. Credit Suisse raised its price target for AT&T this week after calculating that AT&T iPhone subscribers switching to Verizon would not significantly harm the company's bottom line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    I know I'll have some very happy friends come January. Yahooee.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I know I'll have some very happy friends come January. Yahooee.

I'm happy with my JB Iphone 3G w/Simple Mobile....
  • Reply 3 of 38
    For a second there i thought the title said "Megatron rumored to begin CDMA iphone 4 production in November"
  • Reply 4 of 38
    This basic rumor has only been around for what 2-3 years? I'd imagine eventually it MIGHT be right but not so much in January 2011, maybe June 2011.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Cheap clones of the iP4, in all probability. They do it to all brands. Always.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Bazinga!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I?ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I?ll laugh even harder if it?s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile?s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Bazinga!

Someone is a Big Bang Theory fan.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I?ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I?ll laugh even harder if it?s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile?s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

You may actually have something here and it might explain Verizon's comment about a 4G LTE version being hoped for. Option (2) would be pretty good for AAPL I would have thought!
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You may actually have something here and it might explain Verizon's comment about a 4G LTE version being hoped for.

That was an odd comment. Is a CDMA/CDM2000 version off the table or was that a weak rouse to keep us in the dark?

Quote:

Option (2) would be pretty good for AAPL I would have thought![

The question I can?t get answered is how many of those users are currently smartphone users that would buy the iPhone? Despite Verizon?s lower numbers it?s likely they have more potential customers in that smaller pool.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    I don't care for CDMA, or even LTE for that matter, an iPhone 4GS w. LTE Advance would be interesting though.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I don't care for CDMA, or even LTE for that matter, an iPhone 4GS w. LTE Advance would be interesting though.

Not going to happen. There are no LTEA chips for any cell phone, and LTE chips for handsets still aren?t going to show up until next year, with that even being a very unlikely option for Apple for a plethora of reasons. I don?t expect LTE in an iPhone until at least 2012, and who knows when LTEA will feasible.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

The question I can?t get answered is how many of those users are currently smartphone users that would buy the iPhone? Despite Verizon?s lower numbers it?s likely they have more potential customers in that smaller pool.

Well Soli I can tell you its at least one, ME!!! And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well Soli I can tell you its at least one, ME!!! And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them

Are you a China Mobile smartphone user, or is my query to ambiguous?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

.... And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them

I've seen a few bowlers who look like the'd use tree leaves
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

We may never know, but Apple and the Chinese government know. After all, there's a huge grey market for iPhones and many of these end up in China. Both Apple and the Chinese government would know how many valid subscribers there are (China Unicom sales) and how many iPhones are actually on the network in China.

It's possible that Apple already knows that there is a much larger Chinese market due to the number of grey market devices.

Your comment about Sprint is most amusing. We really haven't heard any "iPhone on Sprint" rumors recently, have we? Nor has Dan Hesse blabbed about the iPhone recently.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Are you a China Mobile smartphone user, or is my query to ambiguous?

Yea and my roaming fees are crazy lol.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

1) I’ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I’ll laugh even harder if it’s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile’s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

Since the China market is much larger, I would anticipate these being created for that before Verizon/Sprint here in the US. Just for contrast for those who had forgotten the comparative sizes: Verizon (after recent Alltel acquisition) 92 million subscribers vs. 570 million China CDMA subscribers. That translates to just 16% of the Chinese market potential for Apple to seek as iPhone owners. Just in case there were commenters here that thought the global market didn't matter compared to the US market.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since the China market is much larger, I would anticipate these being created for that before Verizon/Sprint here in the US. Just for contrast for those who had forgotten the comparative sizes: Verizon (after recent Alltel acquisition) 92 million subscribers vs. 570 million China CDMA subscribers. That translates to just 16% of the Chinese market potential for Apple to seek as iPhone owners. Just in case there were commenters here that though the global market didn't matter compared to the US market.

It’s possible, and China Mobile certainly looks more willing to play ball with Apple than Verizon, but we need to consider the number of potential customers within each market as they surely differ. With 6.2x the subscriber size (which grows by 5 million per month) doesn’t that mean, with all other things being equal, that China Mobile only needs 1/6th the number of iPhone subscribers as Verizon in order to sell more units?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

That was an odd comment. Is a CDMA/CDM2000 version off the table or was that a weak rouse to keep us in the dark?

I think you nailed it here. The comment (at least on conjunction with the other rumors) smelled a bit like classic mis-direction. That said, the other speculation that it might be for another carrier are certainly possible. Apple knows it needs to go multi-carrier in the US especially with Android aggressively nipping at its heals.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

1) I’ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I’ll laugh even harder if it’s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile’s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

3) I'll laugh even harder if it's just a GSM iPhone with 3G AWS bands for T-Mobile USA and that carrier up in Canada that uses those frequencies.