Apple's relaxing of App Store rules has 'muted' effect on Adobe

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

According to the more technologically-intimidated, it is because you have Apple's assurance that the gas is OK. Just like the apps in the curated app store.

But to further the analogy, Apple would seek to have it declared illegal to put other gas in "their" cars, going so far as to invent national security threats, and the USPTO would declare that in America, consumers have the right to use any gas they choose.

Apple would routinely change the engine's firmware so it would cease to function if it detected gas that didn't have Apple's sooper seekrit signature ingredient, and the user community would have to once again foil Apple's crap in order to use normal gas, instead of going to Apple's exclusive venue.

Other car manufacturers would tout that their cars will run on any brand of gas, and many Apple customers will say that the other gas is too sour for their taste, and that you get what you pay for, and that Apple's gas stations have a better User Experience, thankyouverymuch.

• Reply 62 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Regardless that you cannot address even one of my points with any substantive logic, I agree with your conclusion, however, the future is yet to be. I'm a big proponent of the the future. So bring it on. When HTML can completely displace Flash I will be the first one to acclaim its merits. Until then you are just wishing that HTML couild match Flash feature for feature, which of course we both know it can't.

Well, ignoring the fact that you have not made any actual "substantive" arguments for your vision of the future, where we are condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past, The idea that Flash must be matched feature for feature to be supplanted is ridiculous and the history of technology is largely one contrary to your requirements.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Quote:

I believe you are wrong on all accounts.

I don't think you can name one computer brand that does not come with Flash.

There is no other product that can come even close in features and performance of Flash.

Regardless of whether a standards board has acknowledged it or not it is already on 99% of all computers used to surf the Internet.

HTML 5 is not an approved standard and it does not run well on the most prevalent browser in the market.

And no, we can't go on and on because that is all I have to say to you on this subject.

agreed on all points.

People's hatred of flash causes them to spout constantly crap that isn't true.

Wake me when html 5 is a... "standard".

Personally, it can't come soon enough, it's about time we went from html4 to 5 doncha think?

the fact that the backtracking by apple the other week hasn't made a significant push on adobe's sales is hardly surprising. Apple's policy atm is a bit of a moving target, so I don't know that too many people will spend money only to have apple change it's mind, again.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Only 3 problems there:

1. We do not know if Flash version can be further optimised or not

2. 45 FPS is still below Flash performance (57? 59?)

3. Flash aside, crappy HTML5 was significantly faster on Nexus, which is more important for me than Flash comparison. Wonder if this optimised version improves on Nexus as well.

According to all that it seems to me Apple has put much more effort into their PR campaign than into actual effort to give their customers best possible experience. Which, in my eyes at least, negates OP's claim that Apple does everything for end users' experience.

1. This "test" was put together by Flash proponents. It's ridiculous to think they didn't totally optimize it.

2. Flash runs at 60 FPS on mobile? I doubt that very much. The HTML5 version also runs at 60 FPS (and higher) on a Core 2 Duo.

Right, because real world Flash performance (not the few cherry-picked sites) is so wonderful. No Flash definitely improves the web user experience, as well as the overall experience on mobile, and, arguably, on the desktop as well, or Flash blockers wouldn't be so popular.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

agreed on all points.

People's hatred of flash causes them to spout constantly crap that isn't true.

Wake me when html 5 is a... "standard".

Personally, it can't come soon enough, it's about time we went from html4 to 5 doncha think?

the fact that the backtracking by apple the other week hasn't made a significant push on adobe's sales is hardly surprising. Apple's policy atm is a bit of a moving target, so I don't know that too many people will spend money only to have apple change it's mind, again.

I thought you'd be along, what took you so long? They aren't paying you for nothing, you know. HTML5 and particularly the canvas element would be much further along the standard track if it weren't for Adobe's efforts to sabotage and derail the effort. There will be no Flash player on iOS, and it's just spreading FUD (i.e., being dishonest) to state that Apple's position on this is a moving target.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I thought you'd be along, what took you so long? They aren't paying you for nothing, you know. HTML5 and particularly the canvas element would be much further along the standard track if it weren't for Adobe's efforts to sabotage and derail the effort. There will be no Flash player on iOS, and it's just spreading FUD (i.e., being dishonest) to state that Apple's position on this is a moving target.

I see you are as usual yapping off really contributing. "I HATE FLASH!!!! YOU"RE AND ADOBE SHILL!!! BLAAAAHHHH!!! A BLOG SAID SO!!!" really is quite the contribution, indeed.

I trust you have personally run tests on html5, and flash etc. on mobile phones yourself.

Yeah I know adobe is really sabotaging, we've been getting updates to our apps to make more use of html5. Total sabotage I know.

It's only the lemmings that think it's a html5 vs flash issue. If you talk to devs who have a brain, most will tell you, both are good technologies that are improving constantly. BOTH of them. Steve Jobs actually did flash devs a really, really huge favor. Ironically.

Sprry pal I love both technologies and understand the place for each. But that requires some sanity.

Keep on hatin!
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:

I see you are as usual yapping off really contributing. "I HATE FLASH!!!! YOU"RE AND ADOBE SHILL!!! BLAAAAHHHH!!! A BLOG SAID SO!!!" really is quite the contribution, indeed.

Well, when you are, over a considerable period of time, a single issue poster, the conclusion is obvious. You are a shill. mstone, for example, who is clearly pro Flash, is just as obviously not a shill.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    Quote:

Well, when you are, over a considerable period of time, a single issue poster, the conclusion is obvious. You are a shill. mstone, for example, who is clearly pro Flash, is just as obviously not a shill.

well that's really intelligent.

No I have posted on other topics here as well. So why don't you, quick like a bunny, go through all my posts to try and formulate your next stellar contribution.

It really helps to add to the topic.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:

well that's really intelligent.

No I have posted on other topics here as well. So why don't you, quick like a bunny, go through all my posts to try and formulate your next stellar contribution.

It really helps to add to the topic.

You're a shill.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    well, if that's all you got... LOL

That says it all.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

1. This "test" was put together by Flash proponents. It's ridiculous to think they didn't totally optimize it.

2. Flash runs at 60 FPS on mobile? I doubt that very much. The HTML5 version also runs at 60 FPS (and higher) on a Core 2 Duo.

Right, because real world Flash performance (not the few cherry-picked sites) is so wonderful. No Flash definitely improves the web user experience, as well as the overall experience on mobile, and, arguably, on the desktop as well, or Flash blockers wouldn't be so popular.

It is equally ridiculous to use sentence such "It's ridiculous to think..." as an argument. It is never ridiculous to think. And one's thinking is hardly a hard argument.

If you bothered to read comments below that article, I believe some people did manage to get close to 60fps on their Androids. All cheaters and conspirators? Maybe, but they got me inclined to test for myself when I get opportunity.

Flash is doing fine on PC. I'm sorry Macs are left behind a bit, but you can't just apply your dissatisfaction with Flash to the rest of the world. Number of Flash blockers is irrelevant. Likewise, number of fart apps does not necessarily mean that everyone is farting on their phones. Do you have any solid numbers as of how many people are actively blocking Flash on their computers?

You are still avoiding part about crappy HTML5 still running much faster on Nexus than on iPhone 4. In my eyes, it looks as if Apple didn't do such a good job with optimising HTML5 - their format of choice - on iOS. Which, pushed further, seems to me Apple does not really care that much about users' experience as long as they are perceived as one who does care. How does it look to you?
  • Reply 72 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Zero is left on your cellphone. Money is left on your contract, however.

That much is crystal clear.

What's clear is you don't see the relationship between the contract and how much AT&T had to pay Apple for your phone ... I know .... it's a somewhat difficult thing to fathom, but try.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Sure I'm pro Flash but I am also pro HTML 5. I have been involved with every cutting edge animation technology since HyperCard, which is roughly comparable to today's HTML animation capabilities.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:

Sure I'm pro Flash but I am also pro HTML 5. I have been involved with every cutting edge animation technology since HyperCard, which is roughly comparable to today's HTML animation capabilities.

this is a concept it doesn't get. It thinks that if you use flash, and know the truth about it, then well that's all you do.

Intelligence at it's finest.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:

I was contrasting you, pro Flash and not a shill, with Groovetube, a Flash shill.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It is equally ridiculous to use sentence such "It's ridiculous to think..." as an argument. It is never ridiculous to think. And one's thinking is hardly a hard argument. ...

Would you prefer 'ludicrous'?
  • Reply 77 of 77
    Quote:

I was contrasting you, pro Flash and not a shill, with Groovetube, a Flash shill.

ahhh the last defence is to call you a shill or a troll.

Hello pot....