Chinese site claims design of Apple's 7-inch iPad is 'finished'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

... from a usability standpoint, ever try typing on an iPad in landscape orientation while holding it? You need one hand to hold it and you are left to pecking out text (or any other interface interaction) with the other. I've got pretty big hands and I can't reach the entire screen with my thumbs if holding it in two hands like you'd do with an iPhone. The onscreen keyboard is ridiculously large and inefficient because you have to move your hand around so much to reach all the keys. And if you try to hold it in both hands to type in portrait mode, the center of gravity is too high and it wants to flip out of your hands. ...

I totally agree with your conclusions, but not with the bit about using the iPad in portrait mode.

If you are a writer and want to use the iPad for a portable writing tool (something they advertise it for), you are basically out of luck because it isn't really possible to type efficiently on the current iPad in *any* orientation while still being mobile.

That being said, I don't find the oft-quoted "flipping over" issue really exists. Thumb typing in portrait mode is simply the most effective and fastest way to type except for the option of attaching a real keyboard. The problem I have on the iPad is that it hurts your hands (a lot!), to try to thumb type on it. I have very large hands and it's a stretch to hold it at all let alone reach over to the centre keys. It never once has seemed in danger of flipping out of my hands though.

I think that the main reason Apple never shows anyone in their advertisements typing on it in portrait mode is to forestall the inevitable lawsuits by people who hurt their hands trying. if this thing is real, I predict it will be marketed as an iPad "Pro", the emphasis will be on productivity, and all the commercials will show people thumb typing like crazy on it.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    Not a reliable source of Information. So at this time the 7" ipad continues to be strictly rumor.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... If you are a writer and want to use the iPad for a portable writing tool (something they advertise it for), you are basically out of luck because it isn't really possible to type efficiently on the current iPad in *any* orientation while still being mobile. ...

Well, I'm not a writer, and maybe we have a different idea of efficiency, but I find the iPad works great for landscape typing, especially at the angle the Apple case puts it, resting on your lap, a coffee table, or any horizontal surface.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

7" in a 4:3 aspect ratio for sure. There are plenty of photos showing people palming 7" widescreen tablets.

From my perspective, a 7" iPad in a 4:3 form factor doesn't really provide much benefit when compared to the 10" version. It won't really be much more portable, and offering a widescreen iPad doesn't make sense given the success of the 4:3 model. I can't help but think these 7" iPad rumors are false.

I'm not buying into it yet either. I made the point earlier (maybe in another thread) that medical personnel are already lugging around laptops and netbooks. My own doctor does that now. An iPad would be no more difficult to carry around than a pile of medical charts, which they've done for decades without breaking their arms. A damn sight less difficult, really, if all the charts they need are on the iPad. It's also a no-brainer to design a simple pocket slipcase with a shoulder strap.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'd break the world into two important categories.

There are the cool and groovy hipsters, who simply don't own or wear Jackets of any form. "Pocketable" means "jeans pocketable". Anything bigger goes into a cool satchel type thing.

And there are the besuited business types, who'd not be seen dead with half a kilo of electronics clanging around ruining the line of their Armani's. Remember the Newon!

There are those who fit into neither category of course.

C.

i can see how a 7"ish ipad would be wonderful for certain work areas. waiters/waitresses, hospitals evidently, anywhere you have to be mobile and need to slide the device in a big pocket from time to time. would love if you could go to stores and ask 'do you have such and such' and not have to follow the salesperson around looking for a terminal or the actual product they could just whip out the ipad and look it up. the 10" is a bit large for that type of thing.

but all in all why would one not like apple to put out another ipad? the more the merrier!
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I'm not a writer, and maybe we have a different idea of efficiency, but I find the iPad works great for landscape typing, especially at the angle the Apple case puts it, resting on your lap, a coffee table, or any horizontal surface.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. By "mobile" I mean on the go. If you have to put it on a table to use it, it isn't "mobile typing" by my definition. You might as well use a laptop in that case (IMO of course).

Previous to the debut of the iPad, it was widely considered that the main (somewhat insurmountable) problems with tablet computing were of course weight, portability, and the need for a stylus, but also the ability to use it standing up or walking, and the ability to hold it in one hand comfortably for any length of time. In other words, portability/mobility a la Apple's Newton device. The iPad is great, but it totally fails to solving some of these problems.

You can "sorta" hold it in one hand, but not for long. It's super light, but still not *that* light. You can kind of use it while walking/standing, but you have to put it on a table top and pretend it's a laptop most of the time etc. The only real big win is the multi-touch means you don't need a stylus, although even there, you really do if you want to use it for any kind of serious art-work.

I'm hot for a 7" tablet, because it basically solves all of these issues except for the stylus thing.

I write huge amounts on my iPhone and I'm almost as fast in portrait mode as I am on a keyboard. The iPad has fallen down for me and after three weeks of daily testing as my main writing device, I have now relegated it to "comic book reader" status and hardly use it.

If Apple *doesn't* create an iPad this size, I will probably be buying a (shudder) Galaxy Tab running the craptastic Android OS. I'm tired of waiting since I've been waiting for this kind of thing since about 1990.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    No doubt Apple is working on a 7" as well as other form factors.
  • Reply 48 of 113
    Not gonna happen??

Just think - what is the fastest growing part of the iTunes store?

Answer = games, games, games.

SJ must be fed up with all the roadblocks from the TV/Film companies. The games companies are happy to make content for iTunes. No problemo Steve. Just look at the last few SJ keynotes - see any media companies on stage? No I didn't they were games people and pro business apps people coz that's where Apple see the main sellers.

So why 6/7" iPad - coz it would be a cool portable games machine. Lighter and more portable than the current iPad.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    Quote:

... You can "sorta" hold it in one hand, but not for long. It's super light, but still not *that* light. You can kind of use it while walking/standing, but you have to put it on a table top and pretend it's a laptop most of the time etc. The only real big win is the multi-touch means you don't need a stylus, although even there, you really do if you want to use it for any kind of serious art-work. ...

a) I don't have any problem typing one-handed while standing. sure it's slower than two-handed typing, but it's not terrible, and the arm holding it doesn't get tired, even though I don't spend a lot of time at the gym.

b) I don't think standing and walking is a time when one is seriously productive at typing in any form factor. when you want to actually be productive at something typing related, you need to stop and focus or you just won't be, so I don't see this a a real downside of the iPad
  • Reply 50 of 113
    Apple will not only make this 7" iPad. They will have to make even more products.

They need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold.

Of course Apple will want to sell a 7" iPad. They want to have a WiFi capable anything in as many peoples hands as soon as possible.

I think they will be adjusting their prices downward to start hurting ALL the competition. How many other companies are set up NOW to take advantage of this new WiFi coming up real soon.

Google will probably spend some money in getting as many people as possible on this. Microsoft

will also want to stay close on this to have their Bing Thing stay close to Google. ( I can't understand what Dell, HP, and the others will benefit from this )

As far as Apple. They will benefit more than anyone else. With FaceTime even the iPhone will become closer to a Touch in a few years.
  • Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

... [Apple] need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold. ...

I don't really think they seem too embarrassed at this point by the strategy that got them there. I think they've realized the truth that too much choice isn't really a good thing, that too much choice just makes it harder to make the right choice.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    Quote:

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. By "mobile" I mean on the go. If you have to put it on a table to use it, it isn't "mobile typing" by my definition. You might as well use a laptop in that case (IMO of course).

It would be nice if the device didn't huts detect x|y orientation but also had sensors that could determine how you were holding it so it could place a curved thumb accessible keyboard on the sides. On the iPhone and touch rhumb typing on a standard keyboard layout is fine as it's small enough to travel halfway or more across the keyboard area. As I'm sure you know, this is far accessible on the iPad.

Of course, there are many other things that need to happen first.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple. I have all iOS devices, pending delivery of my new Apple TV, so i'm a big fan and i'd love to see Apple go down this route.

Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?
  • Reply 54 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple. I have all iOS devices, pending delivery of my new Apple TV, so i'm a big fan and i'd love to see Apple go down this route.

Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?

A 7" iPad would definitely cannibalize iPad sales. However, with a contract requirement, I don't think the Galaxy Tab is going anywhere but to hardcore, Android-loving geeks.
  • Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple.

I'm not so sure. They copied the iPad pretty thoroughly but all those fine touches and attention to detail just aren't there after watching the 10 minute video yesterday. Plus, they just copy the ecosystem Apple created. Then there is the prices. Unless it's for a specific need that the ipad doesnt offer or for an irrational hatred od Apple I can easily see someone paying for the iPad over equivalent price points stated by other tablet makers.

Quote:

Always better to cannabalize your product than to let someone else do it. It's possible Apple t feedback from hundreds of businesses saying the iPad is too big, thus they are looking at competitors, and their number crunchers said this could hurt their dominance... but I doubt it
  • Reply 56 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

A 7" iPad would definitely cannibalize iPad sales. However, with a contract requirement, I don't think the Galaxy Tab is going anywhere but to hardcore, Android-loving geeks.

i think the samsung tab sales will make the nexus one look like a mega hit.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    RIM is coming out with a 7" tablet next month. This is probably what the employee is referring to...

I would welcome a 7" Apple tablet. Current size is a bit big to be portable without being noticeable.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

There is no logical reason not to have a 3.5" iPod, 7" iPad and a 10" iPad all at the same price. It is not like people are asking for a 7" iPad because the 10" is too expensive and the iPod is too cheap. They want a larger screen than a iPod and a smaller lighter device than a 10" iPad. It could make perfect sense to make the 7" versions the same price as equivalent 10" versions and let people choose the form factor that fits their needs. Much like the Droid2 and DroidX.

Exactly.

The screen on the iPhone is too small. People here don't seem to have noticed that ours is an aging society and eyesight is one of the first things to degrade as one gets into middle age.

The iPhone requires an expensive call/data plan and the iPod touch doesn't offer one. That leaves a gaping hole for people who want information on the run, but don't want to be or can't afford to be locked into an iPhone plan.

The iPad is a great device with the option of 3G data and the kind of font sizes that even older eyes can cope with, but it's big and heavy. It can't go with you unless you're willing to carry a bag for it or tuck it under your arm like a book. As one medical professional mentioned it's too big for the pocket on his coat and those are really big pockets.

Thus a mid-size device that offers 3G data and fits in many pockets makes perfect sense. I'll be first in line the day Apple offers one for sale.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

They need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold.

This is your puzzling concept for today.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I sure hope they wake up and make it 16x9.

If the price is right, the aspect ratio is right and it will be able to view 'net videos, I'd be interested.

I have to agree as it is right up there with the lack of RAM as a reason not to buy. Videos are of course one important aspect but the smaller size is important for other uses too. The aspect ratio is much more useful in that size for E-Books and magazines/newspapers. Portability is nothing to sneeze at either. I just hope Apple isn't stingy with the Flash storage.