Verizon-Apple iPhone agreement 'may not ever get resolved'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Let me guess. Verizon wants to maintain its nickle-and-dime-to-death approach to charging customers for cellular services (like visual voicemail) and Apple won't settle for it.

There's probably truth in these analyst speculations (and yes, they get paid to speculate). Both Verizon and Apple want their brands front and center, which is why they're butting heads on this. I don't know the details of course, but if you look at Verizon's history, they'd probably want their logo painted on to every iPhone, or they want Verizon-specific apps preloaded, or for the iPhone to use Verizon-specific services like VCast or whatever.
  • Reply 22 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deewin View Post

They want to equip VCAST into the iPhones with an Verizon branded logo in them.

Lol...I didn't even see your post before I replied saying the same. I agree.
  • Reply 23 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Much ado about nothing... This is pure speculation.

"Verizon may not accept", "Apple may not want", [Apple] "may be unwilling to accept", "This may or [may] not ever get resolved", all of these expressions indicate pure speculation by Mike Abramsky.

No news here, and few facts. Sorry.

This site is MacRumors.com, not MacNews.com nor MacFacts.com.

Sorry.

• Reply 24 of 142
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Sounds just like all the clone computer makers. My new Mac comes with zero crapware preinstalled, just like my new iPhones. Can't blame them...it is impossible to make much money from the cloner market...nothing to differentiate your product, whether it is Android or Windows Phone 7.

Verizon, like the other telcos, has no clue how to write software, yet think they do. Just be a dumb pipe Verizon...that is all you are somewhat good for.

I havent bought a mac in a number if years, but the last MacBook I bought had trial versions of ms office, iWork, and super niche stuff like garage band. All bloat I had no need for, and on a laptop with a tiny hard drive, most unwelcome.
  • Reply 25 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This site is MacRumors.com, not MacNews.com nor MacFacts.com.

Sorry.

Uh, NO, this site is called Apple Insider.

Sorry.
  • Reply 26 of 142
    If a deal with Verizon is not possible then perhaps Apple should invest $20 billion or so in AT&T to help them improve their network...
  • Reply 27 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I havent bought a mac in a number if years, but the last MacBook I bought had trial versions of ms office, iWork, and super niche stuff like garage band. All bloat I had no need for, and on a laptop with a tiny hard drive, most unwelcome.

They were programs that you could delete off your computer if you wanted. The Verizon bloatware is embedded in the system and cannot be removed.
  • Reply 28 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Substance View Post

Correct me if I'm missing something, but why should Apple bring out a CDMA phone to the states in January when all the carriers will be on 4G by the end of the year?

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As I understand it:

-- 4G will be phased in over a number of years

-- CDMA will be the fallback for those carriers as Edge is to 3G on ATT

-- it will take at least 10 years before CDMA is phased out

So, on current CDMA carriers, the phone would need to support both 4G and CDMA.

Not to mention the Qualcomm chipset is both LTE and CDMA compatible. There's also a third LTE chipset version that's compatible with both GSM and CDMA... one chipset to rule them all. I'd be really surprised if the Qualcomm chipset Apple is rumored to have purchased was not this third one. As it would allow them to continue only having one hardware design for iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 142
    Verizon's (and Sprint's) so-called "4G" is actually "3.9G". It isn't the all-IP all-packet-switched 4G of the future. The actual 4G spec hasn't even been finalized yet. I'm not sure, but it will probably only take a software update to switch from 3.9G to 4G.

It's really starting to look like Apple is waiting until "real 4G" is rolled out by any and all cell carriers. And they'll probably wait until there is a critical mass of 4G users. A single iPhone design would work on all 4G networks. This probably won't happen until 2013 or 2014, realistically.
  • Reply 30 of 142
    I think Apple just wants the UI to be consistent with no branding whatsoever. Verizon wants to push their crap down people's throats via vCast and the like. So here it is:

Verizon is free to offer vCast and any preloaded software on any iOS device it wants. No big deal. However to get those, they must be an app that users voluntarily download via the App Store. Therefore the user has a choice. To be even nicer, assist them in getting the app up to par.

Of course I know that scenario won't happen, but just a thought.
  • Reply 31 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Garageband is bloat??? I use it every day of my life! Reload it and give it another try!
  • Reply 32 of 142
    We will see the iphone (what ever generation it will be) on Verizon ONCE Verizon agrees to Apples terms...but who knows when will that be
  • Reply 33 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Uh, NO, this site is called Apple Insider.

Sorry.

Ahahahaha! You're right! I'm a fool.

Low blood sugar is my excuse.

• Reply 34 of 142
    Quote:

"Verizon may not accept Apple's contract terms that risk its Android franchise, which could face significant cannibalization from pent up iPhone demand on its network," Abramsky wrote. "And Apple may not want iPhone to be second banana to Android at Verizon, and may be unwilling to accept less than prime marketing, subsidy support for a Verizon iPhone."

I don't understand this. Why would Verizon care which phone sells - Android vs. iPhone? As long as they have the data/voice contract, the actual phone sold is unimportant. What stake does Verizon have in seeing Android succeed over iPhone?
  • Reply 35 of 142
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Let me guess. Verizon wants to maintain its nickle-and-dime-to-death approach to charging customers for cellular services (like visual voicemail) and Apple won't settle for it.

Bingo.

It will be interesting to see if Android is able to finally help Verizon overtake AT&T in new ads. If not, I doubt Apple will be that concerned. And despite the snarky Internet comments, AT&T is improving their network. My coverage wasn't that bad to begin with, and I have noticed my data speeds are much faster with less latency. More snappier

If Verizon starts loosing (or even tying in) the "it's the network" argument where does that leave them?

Next year should be fun to watch one way or the other. Especially if Oracle knocks Android out, or settles with Google to the point where Android is no longer free. Not that I think that would be a good thing. I personally see no real threat from Android and think the competition is healthy for all. Android's too chaotic and disjointed a user experience to succeed in the mainstream as a smartphone OS. It may end up in lots of cheap handsets where people got it because there was no reason not to, but I don't see Android generating the same revenue as the iOS ecosystem does for developers. It hasn't so far and I see no compelling change in strategy to signal such a change is pending.
  • Reply 36 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Garageband is bloat??? I use it every day of my life! Reload it and give it another try!

Easiest way in the world to make ringtones!

Here's one of my favorites:

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/ForWeb/Ugly%20Stick.mov

• Reply 37 of 142
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I'm still using a 6 year old plastic button phone from Sony-Ericsson but would jump at the chance for an Apple iPhone I just described.

Jump over to craigslust or bay, get an iPhone and put the SIM from you Sony-Ericsson in there and rock on. You can do what you want today. Yes, it would be nice to have a more direct and supported path, but it's hardly insurmountable.

My problem with the iPad is stop screwing me with phony "unlimited" and nickel and dimming me with tethering charges. Charge me for what I use. If I hook up five devices to my iPhone and suck down a terabyte - bully for the carrier!
  • Reply 38 of 142
    2007: Business blunder of the decade 1. "Verizon refuses the iPhone"

2010: Business blunder of the decade 2. "Verizon refuses the iPhone".

Apple is saying "Here....Verizon....I give you millions and millions of high paying customers".

Verizon's response: "No thanks. I must have control....I must put my logo on the iPhone".

Boneheads.

Time to buy some more AT&T stock.
  • Reply 39 of 142
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Android succeeded because it is *open* and *free*! Why, Google looked at the kind of terms that Apple would demand to join the Verizon network, and decided to open its legs to Verizon. Look around, it's a Verizon phone. It updates when it damn well pleases. Free, as in beer. Open, as in woman of shady virtue.
  • Reply 40 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I don't understand this. Why would Verizon care which phone sells - Android vs. iPhone? As long as they have the data/voice contract, the actual phone sold is unimportant. What stake does Verizon have in seeing Android succeed over iPhone?

Because, with Android, they can control what people access and how they access it, something the carriers are doing more and more with each "Android" phone, to the point where some of them no longer carry the Android name, and don't use Google services. With the iPhone, the carriers haven't been allowed to do that.