Chinese site claims design of Apple's 7-inch iPad is 'finished'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

It seems to me that if this rumour was true, then Apple would have been moving heaven and earth for a Christmas season release.

Just sayin'.

doing this would be very un-Apple-like. They seem to introduce new products (like this one) in one of two dates: late-January (a-la iPad, iPhone, although they put the iPhone in a mid-year position now) and late September (a-la ipods).
  • Reply 82 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

9.7" iPad is too large to fit in my white coat pocket. If it moves to 7", Apple opens up an entirely new revenue stream of hospitals wanting to buy one for every doctor on staff. Plus, there's a lot of bezel on the current version I consider wasted space!

I hear what you say, and understand.

But, given the proper perspective, the size issue may not be compelling enough to disregard the current iPad.

An honest question. Are the advantages of the current iPad significant enough to justify:

-- having a custom pocket sewn into your lab coats?

-- buying a holster or shoulder strap carry bag?

-- just carrying the iPad in your hand?

Here's a post I made to another thread on the iPad that attempts to make that point:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Earlier in this thread there were a few comments discussing if the iPad is too big for medical personnel.

Part of the discussion was whether the iPad would fit in the pockets of scrubs or lab coats.

My preliminary feedback from a student at a medical high school -- for scrubs, no livin' way!

I still don't know if a 7" would work in scrubs -- and don't know if either size would work in lab coats.

I wonder what the medicall facilities adopting the iPad are doing?

I need a no-hands iPad carry solution -- got my daughter to agree to make me an underarm quick-access holster.

Maybe, I'll be the first iPad slinger!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been stating that since it was introduced. Even if they wanted the Apple product physics could make these smaller tablets running mobile OSes more viable.

Because of this I can see Apple creating a smaller tablet, but that would also mean a new UI for iOS, a new export option in the SDK and a separate area for the App Store. Besides the fact that all iProds have currently been accounted for, it seems too soon for Apple to add this complexity to it's ecosystem so soon, regardless of well the iPad is selling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

As a replacement for a notebook or even a netbook, which is what they're lugging around in hospitals and doctors' office today, it looks pretty good as is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Does a legal pad-sized clipboard fit in the pocket of scrubs or a lab coat?

Quote:

I've been giving portability of the iPad a lot of thought -- not just for medical personnel.

Below. I'll use the iPad as a frame of reference as it is the only tangible [of this new generation] tablet available and has specs and a UX that is pretty well understood.

I think a smaller, say 7", lighter iPad would be be better in some ways -- it certainly would be more "pocketable". But you would lose some of the magic provided by the large screen -- the show and tell magic, if you will.

But, then, I think the current iPad size isn't significant enough to really matter -- in the larger scheme of things.

It is what you can do with it [the form factor] that is so compelling.

Let me see if I can explain what I mean using VisiCalc for comparison. VisiCalc was the driving force behind the adoption of personal computers by business.

Apologies, in advance -- I used some rather big, iPad-size images for illustration.

Here's a VisiCalc screen -- the magic of 1978:

This spread sheet program would run on an Apple ][ with 32K Bytes of RAM -- yes, I said 32 kilobytes, not megabytes.

It was slow, klunky, limited, and kind of ugly.

It was sorta' like the worst sex you ever had... fantastic!

Just look at that display: 20 rows and 4 columns. Sure it was scrollable, and AIR, had a capacity of 255 x 255 rows and columns.

It had very few built-in formulae, and minimal formatting capability.

If your data was too large, you split it into multiple spread sheets.

If it couldn't do everything you wanted, you compensated with a manual work-around.

The point is that the limitations didn't really matter, it was what you could do that was so compelling.

Now here's an iPad display:

The iPad displays a beautiful, high-resolution, color image that a brain surgeon might show to his patient-- it could just as easily be an XRay or other scan.

The image is almost a living thing -- it can be rotated, zoomed, annotated, sections hidden or highlighted, searched, documented in detail...

The doctor can view it side-by-side with you, the patient. He can manipulate and explain it in whatever level of detail you require.

The doctor has the magic of your brain in his hands -- does it really matter that he can't put it in his pocket?

• Reply 83 of 113
    I think it's a good idea....rather like the iPod line of different sizes and different price points. Increasing market penetration, branding, and profits. I think more than any other company that I can think of...Apple has more 'Halo' products to attract new customers. iPods, iPhones, iPads getting people to buy laptops and desktops.

BTW, for the first time, I used my iPhone 4 to read part of an iBook. And once I enlarged the font size...it was actually quite enjoyable. I was in a restaurant.

Sure I would prefer to read it on an iPad...but a 7" one might just fit the bill.

I could see owning all three and using them each as the need arises. Again, rather like I used to run with a nano (nike+) on even days, workout with a shuffle on odd days and listen to podcasts on my iPhone. But now with the iPhone 4's better battery life, I've given away all my iPods and just it.

Oh well!

Best.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't get it either!

What is even stranger is that people focus on this issue but ignore other pricing issues that are similar in nature. For example the huge jump in Touch prices for another 8GB of flash storage.

Yes Apple has to be convinced the market is worthwhile to pursue. Personally I see demand being greater in the 7" segment than it is with the current iPad. The appeal should be broader than the largeness of the iPad.

Whatever Apple decides isn't what is important in this discussion though. Rather I'm surprised at how many dismiss alternatively sized devices out of hand. I can actually see a range of devices in the <= 7" range and even a bigger iPhone being added to the line up.

Dave

I agree. I played with the samsung tab last weekend, and at 7" I thought this, is the perfect size. The ipad seemed bulky to me. But a 7" ipad, that would be a perfect size. I'll buy one the day it comes out.
  • Reply 85 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Could someone (swtchdtomak) tell me what '"just sayin'" means, after, um, saying something. If it means that you are disengaged or in denial and therefor don't mean the words, why are you saying them? If you do mean them, why are you lying about it?

It's a way of saying something, then reemphasizing what you said, without repeating (saying it again).

In some ways it resembles the T3 technique of making a point:

-- Tell 'em what you're going to Tell 'em

-- Tell 'em

-- Tell 'em what you Told 'em

• Reply 86 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'd break the world into two important categories.

There are the cool and groovy hipsters, who simply don't own or wear Jackets of any form. "Pocketable" means "jeans pocketable". Anything bigger goes into a cool satchel type thing.

And there are the besuited business types, who'd not be seen dead with half a kilo of electronics clanging around ruining the line of their Armani's. Remember the Newon!

There are those who fit into neither category of course.

C.

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqp8_m5It5s

• Reply 87 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple. I have all iOS devices, pending delivery of my new Apple TV, so i'm a big fan and i'd love to see Apple go down this route.

Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

A 7" iPad would definitely cannibalize iPad sales. However, with a contract requirement, I don't think the Galaxy Tab is going anywhere but to hardcore, Android-loving geeks.

You are aware that what is being shown in the Galaxy Tab demos is a limited set of apps that are part of the Samsung Skin UI for Android. To a great extent these apps/skin copy the UI elements added to iOS for the iPad.

Even Google has said that most Android apps will look kind opf ugly on tablets.

• Reply 88 of 113
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

A 7" iPad could work with little change to the SDK or App Store ecosystem-- smaller display with the same resolution (1024x768) and aspect ratio (4:3).

Imagine an iPad in landscape cut in half vertically giving, 2, roughly 7", iPad Memos.

So did you just slip in a name for the device here? Seriously, I like it.

And did anyone say anything about the pixel density on a 7" screen at this res? (I haven't read the whole thread.) Seems to me it would be an irresistible little thing.

I'm thinking about going into the lab coat biz . . . .
  • Reply 89 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And while your at it, tell me what "my bad" means. Just because that blond chick says it, now everyone is saying it. I mean, come on folks

Not!

• Reply 90 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

?Little change?, sure, if we are speaking relative to iPhone/Touch to iPad, especially if it?s the same resolution between both tablet sizes, but this is Apple and having all the touch elements slightly smaller doesn?t seem like something will go for. I would think that they would redo the UI to be idealized for that display.

Yeah... true-- especially the icons!

... else I'd really have a problem getting the icons into the right folders

BTW, the lack of troll activity on these threads has been noticeable and appreciated!

• Reply 91 of 113
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

BTW, the lack of troll activity on these threads has been noticeable and appreciated!

I'll second that. I found myself arguing with those guys in my head while driving to work or whatever, when I was supposed to be thinking about something positive and pleasant.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    Quote:

You are aware that what is being shown in the Galaxy Tab demos is a limited set of apps that are part of the Samsung Skin UI for Android. To a great extent these apps/skin copy the UI elements added to iOS for the iPad.

Even Google has said that most Android apps will look kind opf ugly on tablets.

this is true. I liked the tab, it looked good, the few apps that I saw. I was probably more wowed by the 7" size personally.

They seemed to be really focusing on showcasing the flash games/video etc. at least that's what everyone who picked it up seemed to be playing with.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So did you just slip in a name for the device here? Seriously, I like it.

And did anyone say anything about the pixel density on a 7" screen at this res? (I haven't read the whole thread.) Seems to me it would be an irresistible little thing.

I'm thinking about going into the lab coat biz . . . .

Yeah! Nice catch!

I think the same number of pixels and same aspect ratio would work best.

As to the lab coat biz... Tell me about it.

There's another way to resolve the iCI "iPad Carry Issue" for enterprise, especially doctors in hospitals.

It's rather simple. actually-- you resolve the "iPad Carry Issue" by not carrying an iPad around (everywhere).

Think of doctors in the hospital:

-- all of the patient records, schedules, treatments, RX are on the central computer accessible through WiFi.

-- each nurses' station has a supply of generic iPads lying around - fully loaded with the hospital's apps, fully charged, generic data loaded... but no specific doctor or patient data.

-- the iPads are as utilitarian and as ubiquitous as a thermometer.

-- the doctor on his rounds, checks in at the nurses' station, grabs an iPad and ID's himself.

-- as he is walking to his first patient's room the generic iPad he grabbed is WiFi fleshed out with his schedule and his patients' data

-- everything is at his fingertips during his rounds.

-- when he returns it to the nurses' station it is re-genericized

No Big deal!

The same concept could work in a lot of enterprises-- ubiquitous, generic iPads, instantly customizable, instantly cleared.

The ultimate Mobile Thin Client for enterprise!

• Reply 94 of 113
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

It's a way of saying something, then reemphasizing what you said, without repeating (saying it again).

In some ways it resembles the T3 technique of making a point:

-- Tell 'em what you're going to Tell 'em

-- Tell 'em

-- Tell 'em what you Told 'em

That's different then what I was taught. For me, the phrase "just sayin'" simply means: "This is just my opinion and it may or may not be valid, according to your way of thinking, but it's how I feel."
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

That's different then what I was taught. For me, the phrase "just sayin'" simply means: "This is just my opinion and it may or may not be valid, according to your way of thinking, but it's how I feel."

Yes, I've heard it used that way, too -- it depends on the inflection.

I encounter it so infrequently, that when I do, it brings to mind a specific situation and usage.

• Reply 96 of 113
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Does that mean current model 10'' screen size will be discontinued?

Pure guess: I think they'll bring out a slightly smaller one at 9" or perhaps 8.7" (exact same resolution as the current model) replacing the current iPad.

Reason: The iPad is too heavy and slightly too big. Even for a youngster like me.

I did say "slightly". I believe 7" is taking it too far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I have no problem whatsoever with the size or weight of the current iPad model. If it's too heavy to hold in your hand for an extending period of time, maybe it's time to hit the gym and bulk up a bit?

You're full of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Plus, there's a lot of bezel on the current version I consider wasted space!

Who let you out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by witheredmind View Post

Reminds me a lot of the endless iPhone mini rumors just after the iPhone came out. It was such a great idea that it never happened.

This is different because the iPhone was never too heavy to hold for extended periods of time. The point being: you shouldn't have to put the iPad down because it's too heavy. Making it 8.7" at the same resolution would solve a lot of problems. It would reduce the weight by roughly 68 grams, perhaps more. This would be a good thing.

In my opinion giving the iPad an 8.7" display, for example, makes the iPad light enough to hold with one hand "comfortably" for a while, and would give the whole product a more tidy package. Would be much neater at that sort of size and shape. I'd prefer it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

I'd rather have 10hours of battery life or more.

You still would, because the display would be smaller.
  • Reply 97 of 113
    First of all, if the iPad, Touch and this rumored 7" iPad were all sold for the same price, one or more of these devices would never be sold, or very little would be sold. Right now, if the iPad and the touch were equal in price, I guarrentee you that no one would buy the touch, because why by this tiny screen when, for the same price, you can get this huge screen? It seems as though (ON THIS FORUM AT LEAST) that the consensus is that if Apple offered a 7" iPad they would buy it over the 10" iPad. So with that logic in mind, this rumored device would probably cannibalize sales of the 10" and the 3.5" touch. Then if you make them all at the same price point, you'd probably have 90% sales of the 7" and 10% shared between the 10" and the touch.

Secondly, part are much more expensive for each device. The logic you and AIaddict is flawed. Price doesn't equal better product. Price equals quality and cost of components, plus profit. When I purchase a product that has different sizes, I don't think that the bigger product must mean it's better. Look at the Macbooks. There's absolutely no difference between the 15" and 17" MBP's, except for screen size. To me, my choice would be about applicability.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't get it either!

What is even stranger is that people focus on this issue but ignore other pricing issues that are similar in nature. For example the huge jump in Touch prices for another 8GB of flash storage.

Yes Apple has to be convinced the market is worthwhile to pursue. Personally I see demand being greater in the 7" segment than it is with the current iPad. The appeal should be broader than the largeness of the iPad.

Whatever Apple decides isn't what is important in this discussion though. Rather I'm surprised at how many dismiss alternatively sized devices out of hand. I can actually see a range of devices in the <= 7" range and even a bigger iPhone being added to the line up.

Dave

• Reply 98 of 113
    Here is the definition of Troll from Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

So, by definition, your post was a troll. Oh, crap, this post is a troll! Oops, I just trolled again!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Yeah... true-- especially the icons!

... else I'd really have a problem getting the icons into the right folders

• Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pure guess: I think they'll bring out a slightly smaller one at 9" or perhaps 8.7" (exact same resolution as the current model) replacing the current iPad.

Reason: The iPad is too heavy and slightly too big. Even for a youngster like me.

I did say "slightly". I believe 7" is taking it too far.

You're full of it.

Who let you out?

This is different because the iPhone was never too heavy to hold for extended periods of time. The point being: you shouldn't have to put the iPad down because it's too heavy. Making it 8.7" at the same resolution would solve a lot of problems. It would reduce the weight by roughly 68 grams, perhaps more. This would be a good thing.

In my opinion giving the iPad an 8.7" display, for example, makes the iPad light enough to hold with one hand "comfortably" for a while, and would give the whole product a more tidy package. Would be much neater at that sort of size and shape. I'd prefer it.

You still would, because the display would be smaller.

These are all valid points... expressed, shall we say, in your typical no-nonsense way.

I think an additional consideration for artists, business and education is related to screen size. How well does the screen lend it itself to drawing and handwriting with the finger and (gasp) a stylus.

The current size accommodates this quite well-- smaller, we'll have to see.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    If anybody misunderstood what I was trying to say. When I mentioned about Apple going from 30 products to 50 so they would not be embarrassed.

You have to believe S. Jobs and everybody at Apple are stunned at how much they are worth. I know Jobs doesn't put much stock in that stuff.

It has to be hard to comprehend though.

I mean just thinking about WalMart. There are WalMarts all over the place. And I seem to remember that they also now own Sam's Club. They have four of the Walton Kids in the Richest list.

And all those Petro companies. Exxon-Mobil. They are everywhere. And everybody buys gas.

How is it even possible that a company like Apple is soon to be the biggest Cap Company in the World? It just blows my mind.