Target announces it will sell Apple's iPad starting Oct. 3

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Target, the second-largest discount retail chain in the U.S., announced Friday that it will begin carrying all six models of Apple's iPad at its stores starting Oct. 3.

According to The Associated Press, Target held a press conference at its Minneapolis, Minn., headquarters to announce the sale of the iPad, starting Oct. 3.

Target would carry all six models of the device, including the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable versions. Customers who have a Target credit card will also be eligible for a 5 percent discount on the device, once the card launches on Oct. 17.

The announcement comes weeks after a leaked photo from a Target store PDA previously revealed the launch date and price points. The store's internal data showed it would sell all six versions of the device, including the 3G model in all three storage capacities.

The previous information indicated that the iPad will be located in the store's "Digital Audio" department, which is the same location where it sells Apple's line of iPods and the Amazon Kindle e-reader.

Previously, the iPad only had widespread retail availability at Apple's own stores, as well as some Best Buy locations. But starting Sunday, the iPad will be available at all Best Buy stores in the U.S.

Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.

This week, Apple also began to expand iPad distribution to its third-party retail channel in the U.S. The company's largest distributors now provide all six models of the iPad to authorized resellers across the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    As Apple widens the delivery points for these devices, does it actually greatly increase sales, or just spread a slight increase in sales over a wider delivery area? Will simply being able to purchase the iPad at a Target suffice for the average consumer? Perhaps Target will have up big signs that say: "buy it, take it home, connect to your computer and synch with iTunes". Or will they have "tech staff" that will activate in the store for them. Just pondering the consumer experience here against that of an Apple Store, where they even do those personal set-ups for the purchasers email, iTunes account, apps loading and so on. I'm thinking this may water-down consumer satisfaction a bit if Target is delivering a pick n go set-up for these.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    iPad is no more difficult to set up than an iPod -- probably easier. Millions have managed to handle the task without in-store assistance. Many potential customers are an hour or more away from the nearest Apple store, including me. Online and telephone assistance are readily available. I doubt the satisfaction quotient will drop appreciably.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Walmart is next.. Then mom and pop stores..

Even my drug dealer is selling iPads on the side. He gives out a discount with a purchase of pot or coke. If you want a discounted iPad let me know and I'll give you his number. He's got an app too in the App Store called iGetHigh.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Selling the IPAD in target will definately increase sales as more people visit a TARGET store than an APPLE store. The added 5% discount for those with a target card is coming out of Targets end of the profits. And I would even venture as far as saying that TARGETS profit on this item is extremely small as Target will use this for a draw item to get people into their stores.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Target is hoping that while you're buying a iPad you'll also buy an "high margin" protective cover, case, or other accessory. Especially for all those buying as a gift during a holiday season. This is where they will make their profits. It's the "Never give the toy without the batteries" sales mentality.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Always loved Target, now I've yet another reason. Great news for all involved and this should help put iPad at the top of Christmas wish lists.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    This is huge, with walmart coming before the holiday season, the iPad will be the iPod of tablets, but 4x bigger!, sorry I couldn't resist saying that after that's all the windoze/andud fans could say about it when they saw it. I actually was going to wait for V2, but bought mine on Sunday, I can't believe how great it really is.

There is a video on the web of the HP Slate running Doz7, it takes a good minute to power up the screen not even load the desktop and icons, typical windows start up time and the reviewer had the balls to day, "starts up nice and fast" haha.

With the 3 largest retailers selling the iPad before xmas they will cement their marketshare lead, for those saying how expensive it is (you trolls know who you are), please look at the pricing for the "soon to be released" (whenever that is) 'droid models, they are just as expensive, more so if you are comparing an iPad to a 7" Tab, unless you get carrier service with it and that's mandatory and a contract, Apple wins.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Walmart is next.. Then mom and pop stores..

Even my drug dealer is selling iPads on the side. He gives out a discount with a purchase of pot or coke. If you want a discounted iPad let me know and I'll give you his number. He's got an app too in the App Store called iGetHigh.

Is it any wonder there are no mid range headless machines and why the

1 to 1 trainers only know iLife???? Apple doesn't care any more about the creatives.

It is what it is, a consumer company.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Overall, I think it increases sales. More people go to places like Target then Apple. Most people are not very tech savy. If they see an iPad in a Target they will play with it and perhaps consider buying it when if it was only in an Apple store they might never experience the iPad.

Look at the iPod. Once Apple started selling the iPod in more places sales skyrocketed. Apple slowly ramps up production to make sure it can handle sales or isn't sitting on to much inventory.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

As Apple widens the delivery points for these devices, does it actually greatly increase sales, or just spread a slight increase in sales over a wider delivery area? Will simply being able to purchase the iPad at a Target suffice for the average consumer? Perhaps Target will have up big signs that say: "buy it, take it home, connect to your computer and synch with iTunes". Or will they have "tech staff" that will activate in the store for them. Just pondering the consumer experience here against that of an Apple Store, where they even do those personal set-ups for the purchasers email, iTunes account, apps loading and so on. I'm thinking this may water-down consumer satisfaction a bit if Target is delivering a pick n go set-up for these.

• Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Overall, I think it increases sales. More people go to places like Target then Apple.

Different demographics definitely. Don't know about the numbers though

+60 million people visited Apple retail stores the June 2010 quarter. (~2220 people per store per day).

Couldn't find anything on Target but that is a lot of people.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Different demographics definitely. Don't know about the numbers though

+60 million people visited Apple retail stores the June 2010 quarter. (~2220 people per store per day).

Couldn't find anything on Target but that is a lot of people.

I know of no sources for daily visitors to Target, but here is some basic Target info:

Number of locationst1,743

Revenue: US$64.948 billion

Operating income: US$ 3.536 billion

Net income: US$ 2.214 billion

Total assets: US$ 44.106 billion

Total equity: US$ 13.712 billion

(financials for fiscal 2008)[5]

Employees: 351,000 (2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    One more reason to shop at Target. That's good news. More regular (non-geek) people will get a chance to drool over the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Glad its coming to Target. Target it awesome, and its closer to my house too!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Target donated $150,000 to a political action committee that ran ads backing ultra-conservative, anti-gay republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Despite their carefully crafted warm and fuzzy public image, they are funding discrimination and hate.

Please boycott Target and Best Buy, and let them know why you refuse to patronize them. Thank you.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Target donated $150,000 to a political action committee that ran ads backing ultra-conservative, anti-gay republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Despite their carefully crafted warm and fuzzy public image, they are funding discrimination and hate.

Please boycott Target and Best Buy, and let them know why you refuse to patronize them. Thank you.

Quote from http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc...ah+Marshall%29

"This is a fascinating story.

We noted recently that Minnesota-based Target had availed itself of the new freedom created by the Citizen's United decision to give $150,000 to support far-right Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. And in so doing they reaped a big backlash. Target's aim seems to have been to support Emmer's economic policies. But the backlash came over Emmer's extremely anti-gay policy stands. (He's also really against waiters.)

Target's CEO has now taken the pretty extraordinary step of issuing a public apology for the donation.

Target, as it happens, has a quite good corporate record on LGBT issues and workplace policies. So it's a fascinating example of how cross-cutting and complicated Citizen's United giving may turn out to be."

I don't know who's right here, but it does look like LordJohnWhorfin should expand a bit on the request for a boycott.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryb View Post

I don't know who's right here, but it does look like LordJohnWhorfin should expand a bit on the request for a boycott.

All you have to do is google it. They were the first company to take advantage of the outrageous Supreme Court decision to essentially allow corporate interests to make large political contributions. $150,000 may not sound like much, but it's critical in local elections.

Also, Target has absolutely NOT issued an apology. They've issued a sort of ho-hum "sorry you're offended" to their employees. Nothing to their customers and the citizens of their state.

Yes, Target has been warm and fuzzy and they even score a 100 on HRC's corporate equality index. Still, when they make large corporate contributions to a raging right-wing nutcase, I think as responsible citizens we have a duty to not let that slip by.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't let go a "Target is great!" post without venting. Target is run by heinous ultra conservative xtian douchebags. Stay away.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    It is righteous for a corporation to cycle some of their profit back into the local community.

I prefer the techno talk to the politics in this forum.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

All you have to do is google it. They were the first company to take advantage of the outrageous Supreme Court decision to essentially allow corporate interests to make large political contributions. $150,000 may not sound like much, but it's critical in local elections.

Also, Target has absolutely NOT issued an apology. They've issued a sort of ho-hum "sorry you're offended" to their employees. Nothing to their customers and the citizens of their state.

Yes, Target has been warm and fuzzy and they even score a 100 on HRC's corporate equality index. Still, when they make large corporate contributions to a raging right-wing nutcase, I think as responsible citizens we have a duty to not let that slip by.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't let go a "Target is great!" post without venting. Target is run by heinous ultra conservative xtian douchebags. Stay away.

I believe you're reading into the contribution what you want to read into it. From what I understand, Target has a long record of fairness in both word and deed, however you have little or nothing to back up what you've claimed. I will take Target at their word since they have been a good corporate citizen on many levels.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Boycotting anything is a personal right we enjoy in a free society. I respect your right to rant just as much as I respect Target's right to contribute. The issue or cause makes no difference. You are obviously a supporter of gay rights. I am too. But I believe more in freedom than you because I would never rant against someone's right to expression, whether it's with voice, boycott, or wallet without also acknowledging their right to do so.

The proper way to rant and still respect personal freedom is by putting your money where your mouth is. Ranting, boycotting, or writing negative political post in a tech forum is your right, but if you really want someone to take you seriously, then also respect the alternate view. Rather than calling for a boycott, you can promote a $150K counter balance contribution!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    It is important for iPads to be physically located in stores near to competitive devices (not just tablets but competitive in the sense of 'for your Xmas holiday spending'). There is a big market of buyers who won't venture into an Apple Store.

iPods entered a market where existing devices were fundamentally misdesigned (over complicated) and cleaned up via widespread availability.

iPhone entered an existing mature market and prospered by providing a category defining upgrade in form and function, but may settle into a (highly profitable) second place in the market (as did the Mac).

I suspect the moves to make iPad available in multiple retailers is Apple trying to make the iPad another iPod, as opposed to another iPhone.