Question (iPhone 3GS)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm thinking about buying a Apple iPhone 3GS and I would like to know if the 3GS is still a worthy smart phone or should I just opt for the iPhone 4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It really depends on a few factors:

1. How much storage do you want on your phone? Or put it this way: How much is currently stored on your current MP3 player? Whatever number that is, you'll probably want double that, to make room for future music, as well as any apps you may buy.

The 3GS has 8 GB of internal, non-removable storage. If that doesn't seem like enough (especially if you're going to put all your music on your iPhone), then the iPhone 4 offers your choice of 16 and 32 GB.

2. Is FaceTime, or the super-high-resolution screen, interesting/important to you? Only the 4 offers them. If not, then the 3GS is fine.

3. Are you a road warrior, on the phone a lot? The 3GS's battery life is worse than the 4's. (Hint: No matter what iPhone you own, have the iPhone hooked up to a computer's USB port, whenever possible. It provides a trickle charge to your phone. That way, charge times for when you plug it into the wall outlet at home are reduced.)

4. How long might you keep your phone? If it's more than two and a half or three years, the 4 is more likely to get software and security updates from Apple over the coming years. The 3GS is going to get updates for at least the next year and a half. After that, it's anyone's guess.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Oh, there's so much more to the story why the 3GS is bad!

Telcos buy 3G iPhones, refurbish them and sell at 1 buck apiece. And unfortunately, it's the same casing as 3GS, you know.

As soon as your 3GS is out of your pocket, all girls around may eventually think you're a 1-buck loser.

On a serious note, Retina display of the iP4 alone is worth all your attention. Do your eyes a favor in return for how they help you.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewYorkerKid View Post

I'm thinking about buying a Apple iPhone 3GS and I would like to know if the 3GS is still a worthy smart phone or should I just opt for the iPhone 4?

If you're talking about buying "New, in the store", there is absolutely positively no reason to buy an iPhone 3GS, unless you like poor performance for your $.

Seriously, the difference in quality and performance between the 3GS and iPhone 4 is so dramatic, I couldn't bear to see anyone buy a new 3GS today. It's just pissing money out a window.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

It really depends on a few factors:

1. How much storage do you want on your phone? Or put it this way: How much is currently stored on your current MP3 player? Whatever number that is, you'll probably want double that, to make room for future music, as well as any apps you may buy.

The 3GS has 8 GB of internal, non-removable storage. If that doesn't seem like enough (especially if you're going to put all your music on your iPhone), then the iPhone 4 offers your choice of 16 and 32 GB.

2. Is FaceTime, or the super-high-resolution screen, interesting/important to you? Only the 4 offers them. If not, then the 3GS is fine.

3. Are you a road warrior, on the phone a lot? The 3GS's battery life is worse than the 4's. (Hint: No matter what iPhone you own, have the iPhone hooked up to a computer's USB port, whenever possible. It provides a trickle charge to your phone. That way, charge times for when you plug it into the wall outlet at home are reduced.)

4. How long might you keep your phone? If it's more than two and a half or three years, the 4 is more likely to get software and security updates from Apple over the coming years. The 3GS is going to get updates for at least the next year and a half. After that, it's anyone's guess.

it doesn't depend on anything. the price difference is completely negligible compared to the vast gap in quality between the two devices. even suggesting the 3GS to someone today is doing a disservice.