Thousands line up for China iPhone 4 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Over a thousand people waited in line Saturday for the grand opening of Beijing's Xidan Joy City store and the launch of the iPhone 4 in China.

Michael Kan of Computerworld covered the launch of the smartphone. With "more than 1,000 people lined up outside" the brand new Beijing store, Saturday's iPhone 4 launch saw significantly better turnout than last week's rained-out iPad launch.

Several Apple fans camped out for the release, with the coveted first place in line going to Yu Zhong Hui, who lined up after 5 a.m. Thursday. "When you want something, you have to pay a price. The price I paid is that everyone has had to see me wait out here," Yu said, according to the report.

Last week, China Unicom announced that over 50,000 users preordered the device on the first day that preorders were offered, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. The announcement alleviated analyst's fears that China's lucrative gray market, which bypasses official channels to bring devices in from overseas, had cooled consumer interest for the phone.

After last year's launch of the iPhone in China, China Unicom saw an underwhelming 5,000 new subscribers in the iPhone's first week of availability. The muted sales may have come as a result of regulatory complications that prevented the official China iPhone from launching with Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With more than 1,000 people lined up outside

*cough*
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Very impressive.

But how about getting the white phone out, Apple. Or at least, provide us an update, so that those that are still waiting (like my wife has been) can make a decision.\
  • Reply 3 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    According to the trolls no one in China will buy one. We'll see soon enough.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And just wait until they(the Chinese) get the CDMA iphone in Jan '11.

Wait... D'oh!
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Which is funny after even the original iPhone seemed to huge market for Apple right out of the gate. Possibly the 2nd larger user base after the US within the first few months of sales.

On the other hand, with 1.3 BILLION people having 1000 people in queue is pretty small.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Did anybody tell them that they are getting a crippled phone? Why in the world are they lining up like that? For what? For an obviously inferior phone. Why are tech sites even the anti apple ones rank them as the highest rated phone? Somebody from PCWorld, PCMag, ComputerWorld, eWeek should just rank all the smartphones (android, bb, iphone) and put the iphone at the bottom of the heap where it belongs. Why? It doesn't have the features I want.

For example:

It has an overly simplified GUI that is based on principles of hiding engineering complexity. I don't want that. I don't want a simple GUI. I want a complicated UI phone that is different from vendors to vendors that allows full customization that will make it even more complicated. That way, when there is a new phone I will have to re-learn it again and again and my customization will never end. That is sooo exciting just thinking about that.

Besides, I want flash on my phone so I can play the thousands of games (not to mention those lovely ads) that is not optimized to finger gestures and as long as I can move it with an imaginary mouse pointer,I am good. I don't care if the battery juices run out. I have 3 replaceable batteries in my bag for that. In which I might add, idiotic iphone couldn't do. Who cares if iphone battery lasts longer? It can't tether all my multiple android phones (3) in which I need to get all the capabilities I want in one phone (but I can't so I bought all three of them) and all advantages that each network provides and none of the limitations.

Such iphone fanatics are plain dumb, stupid, and not technical savvy enough for a smartphone. iphone should be called a dumbphone. They don't know that the reason of the occasional hiccups on android GUIs are caused by the garbage collection mechanism inherent with Java. But wait I can't say that because Oracle might read this and they might sue android because we can't really say we rip off that from java. I should say GC which is really too technical for appletards to understand is an architectural design decision that is the centerpiece of our very elegant java-like uhhmm, "clone", well, "derived" framework. But it is open and can be used by hundreds and hundreds of handsets and maybe tablets each one competing for it's own interests and introduce its own unique drivers that Google had to manage and to include but couldn't possibly optimized all of them. This is what I want. You can't tell me otherwise coz any mention of apple makes my blood boils for no apparent reason except Apple is making almost 40% of the profit and they only have 5% phone market share. I mean this is insane!. That is why I why I would petition the CEO of Verizon. Please don't add the iphone. Let it stay to a crippled network like ATT. We all know, Apple will only look out for its own interests disguised as "maintaining a polished and consistent user experience". I would rather, sir, have my android phone bloated with unnecessary software from Verizon and the occasional malware that I get from the app market and the growing trojans and viruses that for the life of me I don't understand why they target the android platform but not the ios. I did not say freedom is cheap. I have to pay for those but I don't mind. Because I love freedom. It is as american as pizza and spaghetti. So please PCW, ComputerWorld, and eweek. Please rank the iphone the lowest and make us all technology pundits happy. Just to balance it out with all stupid AI readers.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clydor View Post

Did anybody tell them that they are getting a crippled phone? Why in the world are they lining up like that? For what? For an obviously inferior phone. Why are tech sites even the anti apple ones rank them as the highest rated phone? Somebody from PCWorld, PCMag, ComputerWorld, eWeek should just rank all the smartphones (android, bb, iphone) and put the iphone at the bottom of the heap where it belongs. Why? It doesn't have the features I want.

For example:

[?]

LOL Welcome to the forum. Paragraphs would make your post more readable and your sarcasm less likely to get lost in your comments.

Your post reminded me of this clip from The Big Bang Theory.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    "Yeah, but billions would have been in line if it were not for the design flaw". - Ireland

• Reply 9 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL Welcome to the forum. Paragraphs would make your post more readable and your sarcasm less likely to get lost in your comments.

Your post reminded me of this clip from The Big Bang Theory.

And the op needed to add a 'bazinga' at the end!
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which is funny after even the original iPhone seemed to huge market for Apple right out of the gate. Possibly the 2nd larger user base after the US within the first few months of sales.

On the other hand, with 1.3 BILLION people having 1000 people in queue is pretty small.

Nah. That's all of 0,0000769% of the population.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    suggest you go back to bed and stop wasting forum space with moronic statements.

when you grow up you will realize that money talks and bs walks. it seems that the public has spoken and your treatise is just a personal fantasy.

btw, what name did you post on prior to this one or are you on everybody's ignore list?
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clydor View Post

Did anybody tell them that they are getting a crippled phone? [ . . .]

Wow, Neanderthal's are not extinct!
  • Reply 13 of 70
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Looks more like millions lined up to me! Oh, wait. There's no pictures. That's odd.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

suggest you go back to bed and stop wasting forum space with moronic statements.

when you grow up you will realize that money talks and bs walks. it seems that the public has spoken and your treatise is just a personal fantasy.

btw, what name did you post on prior to this one or are you on everybody's ignore list?

He was being sarcastic, you should read his post it's actually funny.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:

Did you actually read his whole post or get your panties in a wad after the first line? Freakin' hilarious, but maybe a little too long.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yeah, you too
  • Reply 17 of 70
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I suggest you read his WHOLE post and not just the "headline". .... Doesn't anyone recognize satire and sarcasm anymore?
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:

He?s being ironic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

There is some newer finds from Portugal that may show a successful breeding between Homo sapiens sapiens and Homo sapiens neanderthalensis.
    This is a only a few thousand years after the last known Neanderthals are to have existed, and could mean that H. sapiens and H. neanderthelenisnot only copulated (as that is beyond likely) but that they had successful parings that resulting in offspring, even if it was rare and the pairing were only successful when the mother was H. sapiens (as mDNA is passed from the mother and thus would have been discovered in DNA tests years ago). Even if that is the case, having the offspring be non-sterile would be the next step before we could determine the origin of our species. At least, that is how I understand it.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I suggest you read his WHOLE post and not just the "headline". .... Doesn't anyone recognize satire and sarcasm anymore?

I thought it would get missed, but thought my post would have helped point it out. Maybe I?m on their ignore list.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Clydor's post above was so stupid it made my nuts hurt....