Apple releases iTunes 10.0.1 with Ping improvements, bug fixes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week released an update to iTunes, with version 10.0.1 adding the new Ping sidebar for easier access to the social networking service, as well as a number of bug fixes.

iTunes 10.0.1 is available available for download for Mac OS X as a 84MB install, 71.54MB for Windows 32-bit, and 72.41 for Windows 64-bit.

"iTunes 10.0.1 makes it easier to share your favorite music with your friends on Ping," Apple said in its documentation. "You can now Like or Post about music right from your iTunes library."

"You can also easily see the recent activity of a selected artist in your library, or of all artists and friends you follow on Ping using the new Ping Sidebar."

The update also includes a number of important bug fixes, including:

Addresses an issue where the picture quality of a video changes depending on whether the on-screen controls are visible.

Resolves an issue where iTunes may unexpectedly quit while interacting with album artwork viewed in a separate window.

Fixes a problem that affects the performance of some third-party visualizers.

Addresses an issue where the iTunes library and playlists appear empty.

Resolves an issue that created an incompatibility with some third-party shared libraries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    Hi, I'm back from my banishment.

Still no color icons. I'll pass. I want my colored icons.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    Did They Put The Color Back In The Playlist Titles? I really miss the color.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    I still haven't fixed the bug where everything looks so gray.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week released an update to iTunes, with version 10.0.1 adding the new Ping sidebar for easier access to the social networking service, as well as a number of bug fixes....

It seems at first sight to replace my genius bar with a Ping bar and give me no option to return it. This is a shame since literally the *only* good thing about the Genius thing is the genius bar connection to iTunes.

Also seems to screw up a lot of my cover art.

I'm getting really sick of the crap they are folding into iTunes that doesn't give you the option of removing it. The "Genius mixes" (that I don't ever want to see but are un-removeable), jumping in your face every time you sync are bad enough, and they might want to fix the broken implementation of cover-flow first also.

I wish there was a serious alternative out there that wasn't going to give users more hassle than Apples implementation of iTunes does.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    Colored icons - if you have a Mac there is an easy and fast hack to put the colored icons back. However, Windows users are out of luck, no hack that I know exist.

If you want the Mac hack let me know and I can post links. Or just Google 'itunes 10 colored icons' or something similar.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    I don't mind the greyness. I actually like it. The less distraction the better. And this is where I have problems with 10.0.1: They implemented a "feature" which adds Ping-Options to the title that's currently playing as well as to the title that's selected. Oh boy, excuse my language, but Ping can go f*ck itself. I don't use time-consuming social media bs.

All I want is a distraction free music library, in which I can focus on listening to the music. But these times are over now with Ping all over. Glad, that Plex 9 is slowly getting usable (it arrived on 1st of september, still with lots of bugs and those get squashed day by day). If Apple continues to develop iTunes in this direction I'll say goodbye to iTunes.

UPDATE: here's how to get rid of the ping button: open terminal and paste the following:

defaults write com.apple.itunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool YES
  • Reply 7 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Is anyone getting the occasional skip while playing music now? I can't see anything in Activity Monitor that is overloading my CPU.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

I don't mind the greyness. I actually like it. The less distraction the better. And this is where I have problems with 10.0.1: They implemented a "feature" which adds Ping-Options to the title that's currently playing as well as to the title that's selected. Oh boy, excuse my language, but Ping can go f*ck itself. I don't use time-consuming social media bs.

All I want is a distraction free music library, in which I can focus on listening to the music. But these times are over now with Ping all over. Glad, that Plex 9 is slowly getting usable (it arrived on 1st of september, still with lots of bugs and those get squashed day by day). If Apple continues to develop iTunes in this direction I'll say goodbye to iTunes.

I am pretty neutral about the color icons. I think it"s less distracting, but makes it a bit harder to quickly find the tab I want. I totally agree with the ping comment.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is anyone getting the occasional skip while playing music now? I can't see anything in Activity Monitor that is overloading my CPU.

Once again Apple does a brilliant job with one of their premier products. Maybe they can take the A-Team off the iPad for a few days.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

I don't mind the greyness. I actually like it.

Of course you do. Sigh.

I hoped it was a bug but now after an update it seems that they did this on purpose. I find this very bizarre from the company that was so proud of how their utilities looked in coverflow when Leopard was introduced.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Once again Apple does a brilliant job with one of their premier products. Maybe they can take the A-Team off the iPad for a few days.

Don't get me started on iTunes. I prefer a Mac over a PC any day, but iTunes is an old fogey that was originally an OS 9 app. There's a reason it's up to v10.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I wish you had an A-Team!
  • Reply 13 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It seems at first sight to replace my genius bar with a Ping bar and give me no option to return it. This is a shame since literally the *only* good thing about the Genius thing is the genius bar connection to iTunes.

This. I really used this often and I see no way of getting back besides downgrading. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Still having problems with Bluetooth connection to Prius, Proximity sensor, poor signal retention. Honestly! my IPhone 3G was faster than the Iphone4, so stop messing with iTunes and get cracking on these issues. I have 4.1 and I don't see any improvement.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    I like that I can now comment on my own music seeing that a lot of it didn't come from the iTunes store....but....why can't you add photos, clickable links, etc to your comments? Pretty dumb. Very limited as of right now. It isn't very "sociable" when you can only talk about iTunes and it's content. I posted a song from my iTunes library and then went to post a link to a YouTube video of the song being played live. Figured it would be clickable but I was wrong. Dumb if you ask me.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleJim View Post

Still having problems with Bluetooth connection to Prius, Proximity sensor, poor signal retention. Honestly! my IPhone 3G was faster than the Iphone4, so stop messing with iTunes and get cracking on these issues. I have 4.1 and I don't see any improvement.

Someone help me out here. What other options are there an AppleJim’s post is anything but an outright lie or a defective unit that he’s chosen to complain about instead of getting replaced?
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Someone help me out here. What other options are there an AppleJim’s post is anything but an outright lie or a defective unit that he’s chosen to complain about instead of getting replaced?

Maybe he meant a 3GS running iPhoneOS 3 is faster than an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.

With OS X, Apple has improved performance with each release, so the decrease in performance from iPhoneOS 3 to iOS 4 (which I also experienced) is something of a shame.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    They didn't fix that ugly looking system tray icon on Windows \
  • Reply 19 of 110
    Quote:

Hi, I'm back from my banishment.

Groan.

Sigh.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Someone help me out here. What other options are there an AppleJim?s post is anything but an outright lie or a defective unit that he?s chosen to complain about instead of getting replaced?

Well, I didn't have a 3GS, so I can't compare speeds with that, but myself and 2 bandmates all got iPhone 4s within the past week, and have all had issues with the proximity sensors and VERY flaky reception/signal strength issues. I've had at least 10 people tell me they have issues hearing me during phone conversations, which is very unusual compared to my old crappy Nokia.

One of my friends has made the comment that speed, signal and battery life were all much better on his 3GS (he's the only one of us who had one), although he also says 4 improves basically all other aspects of the user experience.

My main issue with the proximity sensor has been that it's sluggish. It takes a few seconds sometimes to take effect, which is too long IMHO. I haven't had dropped calls due to it, but one of the other guys has had a few. Maybe it's user error or he needs to change the settings or get used to holding the phone closer or further away, I don't know.

I'd also like to add that all three of us have had poor results with the compass (the arrow never points forward in maps - mine likes to point at a 45 degree angle to the right even if I'm driving down a perfectly straight street) and the battery life is well below my expectations, although maybe it'll just take a few charge cycles to get optimized. I'm still learning the phone so maybe I'm doing something wrong for the compass to always be so screwy.

Every other aspect of the phone has been great so far. It's my first "smartphone", and being able to Skype/Tweet/Check Mail/Use Maps easily has been great, and I'm very glad to be able to eliminate the iPod from my pocket and (soon) the GPS from my car. The UI is very impressive, and very responsive. The camera is ok for a phone, but my 6-year-old Canon IXUS 4-Megapixel is much better in basically all respects, except convenience.

I want to make it clear that the above isn't a bunch of random bashing, I do have these issues, and if it's a defective unit, then it must be an entire defective shipment, as there are 3 of us here with the exact same issues. I think/hope all of the issues I have with the phone can be improved with an update or two to iOS - battery usage has been improved in Macbooks via OSX updates, and I'm sure the noise cancellation, A/D conversion and signal strength could also be tweaked and improved somehow via software... I also came in under the wire for a free case, so maybe that'll help a bit too.

Anyways, this thread's about iTunes, so I'd just like to say it's nice Apple's fixing a few issues BUT:

1. Wouldn't it be great if Ping, the Genius and the Colour Scheme were all "extensions" like in Firefox or Chrome, so we could choose not to have them if we don't want them? As in not have them at all on our computers or in iTunes (not just hidden)?

2. Why still no FLAC? Lots of (also mainstream) folks are now selling and distributing their music as FLAC, and lots of people in this day and age of cheap 2TB hard drives are ripping their CDs to FLAC because they've got space and like the better sound quality. I admit it's difficult to hear a difference through the POS D/A converters in my Macbook Pro and iPod, but lots of folks have setups with quality converters where the difference between FLAC and MP3s are very noticible.

3. Why isn't iTunes 64-bit yet? I too get occasional hiccups in playback while simultaneously scanning through my admittedly large library, and I can't help but assume access to the full 4GB of memory in my macbook pro might help...