How to determine if an Think Different poster is a fake?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have run across a couple of Think Different posters for sale in a local consignment shop and I am trying to determine if they are fakes and hoping someone can help me with this.

The first one is of Picasso but it is not the one I have seen in the past with the striped shirt. Here is a link to an image of the one I found: http://myoldmac.net/Sellpicts/think-...nk-Picasso.jpg

It is one of the 20"x28" ones which I have seen a few people say those are fakes while others are saying they were done in Europe.

The other one is a 24"x36" Gandi poster. The one thing that makes me question it is the fact that it has a Copyright line on it. Those that I have seen online don't seem to have that line. (The above Picasso one I saw also has the Copyright line on it.)

Any thoughts or suggestions on these? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    your link is lame
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

your link is lame

Sorry I guess I should have checked the link after posting. Here is the fixed link.

http://myoldmac.net/Sellpicts/think-...nk-Picasso.jpg
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Well, that's either Pablo or his twin brother, is all I can say. It's value is about the same as the production cost, if in good condition. If you like it, and it's under 10 bucks, then get it. If it's over 10 bucks you'll be wasting your money. But some people get a kick out of that too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Well, that's either Pablo or his twin brother, is all I can say. It's value is about the same as the production cost, if in good condition. If you like it, and it's under 10 bucks, then get it. If it's over 10 bucks you'll be wasting your money. But some people get a kick out of that too.

I don't question if the poster is of Pablo or not. I question if the are true Apple Think Different posters. From the images I have seen online of the Think Different posters they tend not to have a copyright line on them. Also the Pablo one is 20"x28" which some say are fake and others say were done in Europe. The Gandhi one is 24"x36" which is the right size, but again it has the Copyright line on it which the ones online from places like Missing Bite (http://missingbite.com/postersTD.html) don't seem to have the Copyright line on them.

The Gandhi one is $80 and the Pablo one is $60 at the store I found them at and I just don't want to spend that much money on either of them if they are fake ones. So I was just looking for more input on how to tell if they are fake or not.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanfc View Post

The Gandhi one is $80 and the Pablo one is $60 at the store I found them at and I just don't want to spend that much money on either of them if they are fake ones. So I was just looking for more input on how to tell if they are fake or not.

With good reproduction techniques you can't determine a fake with the naked eye. Or even with a magnifying glass. But high quality reproductions like that, requiring pro skills and production gear, especially when at low total number production runs, are very expensive to make. Easily a couple dozen bucks per. No wannabe faker would invest that kind of money in faking this poster. The profit margin would be exactly that: marginal. IF he sells the whole production run! Because Apple probably printed millions of the, what you call, 'real' ones. They are not scarce at all. So they are not worth more than the original production cost. A few bucks at the outside. So 60 bucks is a steal! For the seller! While the buyer gets shafted with open eyes... in both cases! Because if it's real the buyer will have paid 60 bucks for something that is worth 6, while if it's fake, well... then it's fake!

To put it another way: if it's real it is 54 bucks too expensive, and if it's a fake it is 60 bucks too expensive. But whichever way you look at it, it is waaaay too expensive!

Forget it, it's a waste of your money. In either case.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well I guess my question is did the originals have a copyright line on them? The ones I have seen online do not seem to have them, but they are small images so it may just be they are too small to see the copyright line.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well on another apple forum I have found that the originals do not have a copyright on them. So the ones I have found are reproductions of some sort, and as you said not worth what the guy is asking for them.