Apple releases iTunes 10.0.1 with Ping improvements, bug fixes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I'm confused...how can Ping affect you buying stuff? What is happening when you try to buy content from iTunes?

Oh, you didn't know that your iTunes account is linked to ping? If your profile is messed up then you can't log in and purchase music.

I ended-up disabling Ping and then enabling it once more and that took care of the error messages I got trying to update my profile or logging into iTunes and purchasing.
  • Reply 82 of 110
    The iTunes 10.0.1 release DID NOT fix the Apple TV sync issue. iTunes 10 does not autodiscover Apple TVs (first generation) on the home network and there is no longer a preferences option to discover Apple TVs. I have been through the online help (outdated!) and forum suggestions, but I can not get my Apple TV to find my MacBook Pro and connect to iTunes. How can Apple release a product update like this that doesn't even have proper support for its own products!?!
  • Reply 83 of 110
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So I guess that means nobody new or good uses FLAC.

Good to know.

If I am not mistaken, FLAC files are 2-4 times larger than MP3's. Certainly, one has to question the effect on bandwidth and the costs to store, distribute, service and support it, and who would be willing to cover such additional costs.

I don't see any evidence that it would receive any support from most who troll here if Apple or our ISPs were to charge extra for it.
  • Reply 84 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As stated earlier, I see that is Genius in the main side bar, not the Genius Sidebar. Mea culpa, but I do think some clarification could have been used knowing that there is a chance for ambiguity.

Yes, I realised that, thus the smiley. Apple called the genius sidebar "genius sidebar" when it debuted, so even though it's confusing I don't really know what else to call it.

Quote:

I right/Option-clicked mine and choose Remove or Delete, depending if yo are talking about Genius Mixes or Genius Playlists, respectively. You can also choose Hide next to Genius so you don?t have to see them.

Yes, but again, you can only delete "all but one" genius mix, and while you can hide Genius in the source-list sidebar on the left, and you can hide Genius altogether from the preferences, you cannot eliminate the genius lists in the iPhone/iPad syncing window.

Even with Genius turned off those Genius lists show up in the syncing window, and as I said earlier, they periodically recreate themselves. I've had to delete the nine default genius playlists at least a dozen times since they appeared, and had to turn the little arrow to hide them on every single sync of my iPhone or iPad.

Perhaps I've made too much of it already in the effort to be clear about what I mean, but it is a seriously irritating "feature" that cannot be turned off. I'd probably be happy just to find a logical explanation as to why we can't turn it off.

That's mainly why I posted as it makes no sense. Often these kind of nonsensical things come down to user error (mine presumably in this case), and there is a way to do it but that it just can't be found by the user.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

If I am not mistaken, FLAC files are 2-4 times larger than MP3's. Certainly, one has to question the effect on bandwidth and the costs to store, distribute, service and support it, and who would be willing to cover such additional costs.

I don't see any evidence that it would receive any support from most who troll here if Apple or our ISPs were to charge extra for it.

I always figure about 1Mb/s for a modern lossless audio codec. Any lossless codec is then easily determined as they are often defined by their bitrates. So lossy (Mp3, AAC, whatever) for 320k is 1/3rd, 256k is 1/4th and 128k is 1/8th what I consider the average lossless audio codec.

But Apple supports ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), as well as AIFF and WAV, so it's not Apple's issue, nor do I think Peabody is suggesting distribute iTunes Store music as FLAC.

So question is why isn't FLAC supported? I bet it had to do with the other issues with Xiph.org codecs.
  • Reply 86 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think it's kind of funny that you can "like" anything in your iTunes Library now.

You always could. You can even "like" stuff that isn't in your library.

Before, you would click the little arrow next to the album name to take you to the Store, then you click "Like". They've just replaced the little arrow with a pop-up menu
  • Reply 87 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The less distracts you from the Store, the better:

Actually I try to avoid the iTunes Store, since I feel the interface and navigation are a desaster.
  • Reply 88 of 110
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Er, yes I know that. That's why I said you could convert FLAC to ALAC. As they're both lossless codecs, there's no quality degradation in the conversion process.

Most of that is irrelevant. If you convert to AIFF as an intermediate step, you can use wavegain to "replay gain" the file, then convert to ALAC. AIFF supports metadata so you shouldn't lose any in the conversion process.

Just use Max, (http://sbooth.org/Max/) It converts your Flacs to ALAC with Apples own engine. It preserves all id tags and is opensource software under GPL. Used it alot already. Works perfectly

Apple doesn't care about Linux compatibility, and many people don't. Flac is BSD so they might use their code to enhance their own codec.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aslak View Post

I'll get slammed for saying this, but iTunes sucks. It badly needs to be rewritten. AFAIK it's still based on the old codebase from OS 9. It's dreadful on OS X, I shudder to think how it runs/walks on Windows. It does far too much, and all of it badly. The only reason people tolerate it (IMO) is because of the iPod/iPhone lock-in. My biggest compliant, and the reason I'll never use it, is that it does not properly support Libraries on another machine. But there's plenty of other ways it's bad.

I love pretty much everything Apple does, but iTunes is simply awful.

Can only agree here. It is even with the improvement in the 10. interation it is the worst pice of software on my mac. The problem is, as awful as iTunes is, there aren't any good alternatives out there.

Songbird is a mess and still slower, aTunes is nice but doesn't have a lot of features.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    are good but it really sucks. hoping for better. how can you have a social network on music and not have the beatles. it should not matter if i can't buy their music on itunes. have no interest in lady kha-kha or katy perry.
  • Reply 90 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

are good but it really sucks. hoping for better. how can you have a social network on music and not have the beatles. it should not matter if i can't buy their music on itunes. have no interest in lady kha-kha or katy perry.

They broke up in 1970. Since then 2 of them have died. It's safe to say following them on Ping might be not quite so interesting.
  • Reply 91 of 110
    Main issue I have found with iTunes 10 is that when loading a Music CD, it does not pull the name, artist and track info, let alone the album art. Does the update address this?
  • Reply 92 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew64 View Post

Main issue I have found with iTunes 10 is that when loading a Music CD, it does not pull the name, artist and track info, let alone the album art. Does the update address this?

There is a setting under Preferences » General to "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet". I believe they are still use Gracenote for this service.
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Quote:

There is a setting under Preferences » General to "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet". I believe they are still use Gracenote for this service.

Yes, that is enabled but does not work.
  • Reply 94 of 110
    Quote:

Mine works fine. Did you block the call in Little Snitch or something?
  • Reply 95 of 110
    Quote:

In  » System Preferences » Security » Firewall tab is your Firewall on. If so, under Advanced does iTunes have the ability to connect Allow Incoming Connections?

edit: And what tonton said.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

Ping is, as Apple so clearly positions, is A Social Network for Music to help discover new music.

Most important, because of agreements made to artists, producers, distributors, etc., Apple can only apply the service to products they are legally contracted to. And the Beatles is not one of them.

Any effort by Apple to facilitate or include music outside of what Apple has a legal right to via the iTunes store would immediately start a legal action against them.

Note, however, you as an individual would be in your right to add the Beatles in your commentary.
  • Reply 97 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes, I realised that, thus the smiley. Apple called the genius sidebar "genius sidebar" when it debuted, so even though it's confusing I don't really know what else to call it.

Yes, but again, you can only delete "all but one" genius mix, and while you can hide Genius in the source-list sidebar on the left, and you can hide Genius altogether from the preferences, you cannot eliminate the genius lists in the iPhone/iPad syncing window.

Even with Genius turned off those Genius lists show up in the syncing window, and as I said earlier, they periodically recreate themselves. I've had to delete the nine default genius playlists at least a dozen times since they appeared, and had to turn the little arrow to hide them on every single sync of my iPhone or iPad.

Perhaps I've made too much of it already in the effort to be clear about what I mean, but it is a seriously irritating "feature" that cannot be turned off. I'd probably be happy just to find a logical explanation as to why we can't turn it off.

That's mainly why I posted as it makes no sense. Often these kind of nonsensical things come down to user error (mine presumably in this case), and there is a way to do it but that it just can't be found by the user.

Not that I really know anything about these issues as I've never turned on Genuis Bar or Ping but I don't have these issues at all. I would imagine there is some folder(s) or file(s) created on your computer, like in a Library folder on a Mac, that stores this information that could be deleted, if anyone could find it to begin with. I never turned this stuff on and have no intentions of doing so in the future because I hate when my computers or applications try to anticipate what I "Might" want to do. I have no trouble deciding, on my own, what I want to purchase or play at any given moment and don't want any suggestions, ever. One of my favorite sayings is "If I want your opinion I will give it to you".

But really, I'm not trying to change anyone's way of doing things or telling them what they want or don't want, just suggesting that there may be a file(s) left behind on your HDD even when you uninstall and reinstall iTunes that is causing this.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    One of the issues I've had since 10, and remaining with 10.0.1, is that every time I open iTunes, I get a prompt asking if I want to have iTunes accept incoming connections. The deal is that I already have iTunes set to accept incoming connections in the Firewall preferences, yet it still does this. Any way to fix that? Thanks!
  • Reply 99 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMatthew View Post

One of the issues I've had since 10, and remaining with 10.0.1, is that every time I open iTunes, I get a prompt asking if I want to have iTunes accept incoming connections. The deal is that I already have iTunes set to accept incoming connections in the Firewall preferences, yet it still does this. Any way to fix that? Thanks!

I don't have this issue. The one issue I do have is EVERY TIME I update iOS apps, and click "Download all free updates" I get two error messages and have to dismiss the errors and repeat the click. It's annoying.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    I really like one of the Genius Mixes. How do I copy that mix to a playlist so I can use it on my "fat" 160GB iPod Classic?

Edit: Found this.